Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gun Nut
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Glock 19 Gen4 about 6 weeks ago. After I bought it, I've seen online that the Gen4s have had issues with the recoil spring and extractor. I checked mine and it has the 03 spring and 336 extractor (both are the old types).

Serial number starts with PUY. It didn't come with the spent shell envelope, so I have no idea when it was manufactured.

I've put 500 rounds through it with no failures to eject or feed. I've had shell casings hit me on the top of the head a few times, though.

Should I leave it alone or get replacement parts ordered?

Thanks,
Glenn

·
I have the body of a god........Budda
6,346 Posts

·
King of my Castle until my wife comes home
2,973 Posts
Glenn34 said:
I bought a used Glock 19 Gen4 about 6 weeks ago. After I bought it, I've seen online that the Gen4s have had issues with the recoil spring and extractor. I checked mine and it has the 03 spring and 336 extractor (both are the old types).

Serial number starts with PUY. It didn't come with the spent shell envelope, so I have no idea when it was manufactured.

I've put 500 rounds through it with no failures to eject or feed. I've had shell casings hit me on the top of the head a few times, though.

Should I leave it alone or get replacement parts ordered?

Thanks,
Glenn
You should call Glock they will take serial and if parts needed will send for free, in most cases...

·
Gun Nut
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I can do the exchange. My question to you guys is should I? I'm not seeing any problems aside from the occasional shell to the head.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know I can do the exchange. My question to you guys is should I? I'm not seeing any problems aside from the occasional shell to the head.
You should. You said they were both the old type and you know its a known problem. Better safe than sorry. Nip the proverbial 'it' in the bud before you have that one failure when you least expect and want it. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem that Glock still doesn't "HAVE" the answer for.

They do not want to spend the money to fix peoples problems with their product.

They're giving everyone band-aid fixes that sometimes work for a short period of time.

I suspect it is really due to cheap metal injection molded extractors and an ejection port which is too tall.

Glock switched to the MIM extractors right around when all these problems began.

They raised the height of the ejection port years ago to keep the slide from cracking there on well used Glocks.

Apex Tactical has figured out that with a lowered ejection port alone most of these problems go away.

You can send your problematic gun to them to have it lowered, but unfortunately this voids the warranty on your slide.

They are also working on a new A2 tool steel extractors which should be available soon....They said it should be ready this summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts