Nail Polish?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jmiles50, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

What is all this about "painting" the letters and such with nail polish? What does this do, and is there any advantage in doing it?

2. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

It just makes the engraving on the slide stand out more.

It is nothing but an aesthetic choice.

Attached Files:

3. Exactly, just makes it look like above, completely aesthetic, no benefit to the performance at all lol

4. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

So, what's the process?

5. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

To quote Mike P

"Fingernail polish. Pre clean with alcohol, dab on the polish.....before dry wipe excess of with NON acetone polish remover. May need multiple coats. My "G" around my Glock could use a little touch up but it's held up great after thousands of rounds and even one session of a 7 mag dump as fast as I could, needless to say she got a little hot on that one."

6. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

Does it fade away after time?

7. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

I wouldn't say there are any advantages to it like it doesn't reduce recoil or change your .40 into a 9mm lol jk

ForumRunner_20120305_223420.jpg

8. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Mine hasn't granted its only been about 700 rounds. But I've cleaned mine about 5 times an it hasn't lightend or anything.

9. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

Well, I'm gonna give it a go. I'll post pics when done. Thanks for all the info.

10. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

I like what it did to my magazines, much easier to read the round count etc.

11. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

You can do it on mags too?

12. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6EwQEnacAQ&feature=related[/ame]

As simple as it is right there my man, and most people do a couple coats to make it nice and clean and thick

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

On my G26, I did my usual gun cleaning ritual, minus the oiling part. Globbed Arctic White nail polish (from my daughters' stash) onto the engraving. Put the slide (and barrel, since I did the engravings on the barrel as well) under a 30-watt desk lamp to cure. Waited 30 minutes or so (while surfing the posts on here), then carefully scraped off with a flexible razor. Had some excess, wiped it off with non-acetone nail polish remover and tissue paper.

Nearly 3,000 rounds later and six cleaning sessions (I use ultrasonics), markings are still clear and do not need touchup.

More photos of other methods can be found on this thread here: https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f16/painted-letter-thread-lets-see-them-837/

Cheers!

14. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

Can it be removed if I don't care for it?

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes. Nail polish remover. Use the non-acetone remover with an old plastic toothbrush to scrub it out the engravings (an acetone-based remover will dissolve the toothbrush, and may -I am not sure- affect the polymer frame, so work on the slide with it off the frame).

I do not think you will not like it, once you have done it! I've shown off my '26 to several buddies, and 2 of them want to pay me to do their Glocks and the third wants to do it himself.

If the finish looks less than perfect, give it another coat. The engarving lines are very narrow, so sometimes more than one coat is needed.

16. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

And run REM oil over the slide when complete the removed will make it look really dull!

17. Junior-G-man

Junior-G-man Beak 'em Hawks!

I used Testors model car paint. Just dab it on with a very small brush and take a piece of stiff card stock and wipe over the letters, then use a rag dampened with a small amount of Testors thinner. When it is completely dry lightly wipe over the whole thing again.

Works great and comes in a lot of different colors.

18. flightmedic76

flightmedic76 New Member

Bought the brightest fluorescent orange nail polish from Kmart for $2, and it works like a charm. The best part is if you don't like it, steal some of your wife's nail polish remover and it comes right off without a trace.

19. wallacefan

wallacefan New Member

has anyone added clear over top