Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a gen5 19 for 3 years and a gen4 glock 20 for a year now, put a few thousand rounds through my 19 with zero malfunctions and several hundred through my 20, also zero malfunctions. I just picked up a brand new Glock 26 gen5 and took it to the range today (stripped and cleaned it first of course), starting off with a mix of CCI blazer brass and LAX ammo factory new 115gr. In 80 rounds of target ammo I had about a dozen FTFs with the three 10rd factory mags it came with. Also, about half the time on an empty mag the slide wouldn't lock back. I wish I had brought some of my glock 19 mags to test with but I forgot those at home, but all three of the factory mags gave the same behavior. I also brought 10 rounds of federal HST standard pressure and 5 rounds of underwood xtp +p which I fired at the very end, and those rounds cycled fine.

I'm not new to small pistols, I have a hellcat and an lcp max, I know you have to grip the gun hard so I don't think it's a limp wristing issue. My thinking is it's probably an issue with a stiff recoil spring that prevents the gun from cycling properly with target loads. I'm planning on going to the range again soon with a full box of 50 of HST and a lot more CCI blazer to see if maybe the gun just needs to be broken in more. What are your thoughts? Do you think it's operator error or an issue with firearm/ammo? I'm kinda bummed that I would be having these issues with a brand new Glock, I love how the gun shoots, just can't feel confident in carrying something that FTFs every few shots.

· Legitimate Combatant
8,360 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I also may add that I don't think gripping the gun hard is required. Proper grip is most important.

Recently had a 26 gen 3 that stopped @ every round. Polished the barrel feed ramp, cleaned grooves in the slide and polished rails, one drop of oil in both slide grooves and now it runs like a raped ape!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I also may add that I don't think gripping the gun hard is required. Proper grip is most important.

Recently had a 26 gen 3 that stopped @ every round. Polished the barrel feed ramp, cleaned grooves in the slide and polished rails, one drop of oil in both slide grooves and now it runs like a raped ape!

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Did apply a moderate amount of CLP to the slide grooves (about 3 drops each side) among other parts of the gun, but I didn't try polishing the feed ramp. I'll do another strip/clean before the next range trip.

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
Welcome to th forum.

Reactions: Che

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it to the range again today, had two fully loaded G19 mags of LAX target ammo, 3 50 rounds boxes of CCI blazer, and a 50 rd box of federal HST 147gr standard pressure (along w/ three empty 10 rd factory G26 mags). I did not clean or disassemble since firing it yesterday. The gun performed MUCH better this time... not perfect though. I think the gun is just stiff and needs some break in, especially with hotter ammo. I did have one failure to feed in one of the G19 mags of LAX factory new (after firing 12 out of 15rds). The round was pushed halfway out of the mag. Secondly, the slide failed to lock back twice with CCI blazer. I fired 40 of the 50rds of HST and all 40 were flawless. It's possible some of these issues were caused by me, they occurred near the end and my hands were getting a bit tired. The first 50-100 rounds had no malfunctions. I didn't make any adjustments to my grip this time either.

Last range trip I fired 50-70 rounds of range ammo first, had a ton of malfunctions, then at the very end fired the hotter stuff (HST and underwood +P) with no issues. Maybe the more powerful ammo fixed something.

· Registered
700 Posts
About the slide not locking back, make sure that your right thumb (assuming you are right handed) does not cover and stop the slide lock, which will cause the slide to not lock back when your magazine is empty. This is a common mistake that people aren't always aware of, maybe related to you getting a bit tired by the end.

· Premium Member
1,219 Posts
My third Glock was a Glock 26 too. It was extremely tight and difficult to disassemble for the first cleaning prior to the first range outing. I ran 500 rounds thru it before I attempted to disassemble it. Now at 800 rounds it is easy to disassemble and its 100% reliable with whatever I feed it.

I am really enjoying the Glock 26 except if my arthritis is bad. (I have good days and bad days) Then the Glock 19 is perfect.

Introductions Here

· Registered
247 Posts
night before you go to the range lock the slide back let it sit overnight like that. And try to find some 124 and 147 Target loads. I think you just have a stiff rsa and it will probably be fine after it breaks in. You did say the hollow points ran fine and Rack the slide wile watching tv.and bring the g19 mags next time.have a good night.

· Premium Member
14,913 Posts
I use a demel with a very small wire wheel and clean out the grooves on the slide.
It is quick and one wheel is trash after one slide application.

Be careful to keep oil out of the channel liner, spacer sleeve and spring cups.
These are all plastic on plastic and meant to remain free of oil.
I have to be the #%*^ here, but if the OP isn’t confident with a Dremel. I highly recommend hand polishing the feed ramp with some, Mothers, Flitz, etc. You can always take more off. I’ve actually taken too much off as a newb dremel user. It cost me a new barrel, lol!

· Premium Member
14,913 Posts
I have a 17, 19, 26, 21 and can't say there is any difference between them all regarding felt recoil. Maybe this is just me but the 45ACP in a G21 is soft shooting.

Wire wheel in a dremel doesn't remove metal. Removes all debris from the slide rails.
I agree the 21 is soft shooting, imho. Somehow I’m more accurate with my 30sf though.

· Premium Member
14,913 Posts
I have a 17, 19, 26, 21 and can't say there is any difference between them all regarding felt recoil. Maybe this is just me but the 45ACP in a G21 is soft shooting.

Wire wheel in a dremel doesn't remove metal. Removes all debris from the slide rails.
You are 100% correct. That was my mistake.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,345 Posts

My first Glock was a 21. I mainly shot 1911s prior. The 21 was softer shooting than the 1911. After a couple of years I shot the other Glocks in different calibers. None of them shoot as soft to me as the 21.

· Premium Member
14,913 Posts
My first Glock was a 21. I mainly shot 1911s prior. The 21 was softer shooting than the 1911. After a couple of years I shot the other Glocks in different calibers. None of them shoot as soft to me as the 21.
My dad was a 1911 guy who went to the G21. He carried it for many years. Then I let him shoot my G20, & showed him all the bullet gr weight options, & ballistics. He bought a g20, 2 days later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts