My newest gun that I am working on

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Pat Harmon, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon Well-Known Member Supporter

I got this Remington 540X .22 caliber when I was about 10 years old for the trade of 5 squirrels. It's not been really a gun we shot all that much and still is in decent condition. The stock was done over once but not all that well. The bluing is a 9.5 but I noticed it wont let the trigger release the firing pin. Plans are to give it a thorough cleaning then doing the stock again myself. I know my dad is happy knowing I have finally took an interest in his guns and that I am doing the right thing to them.. 20200907_115336.jpg

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

All your restoring had made me bump a project of mine to the top of the line. I have a savage 1903 octagonal barrel mag fed pump .22 lr. It’s currently stripped of finish, & needs professional help, lol. Here google pic of what it could be.

IMG_3930.jpg

Silver-Bolt, Bayou, LElliott and 3 others like this.

3. Pat Harmon

You can do it yourself...My 10/22 makes me smile when I look at it now..

LElliott and Danzig like this.
  4. elk creek

elk creek Well-Known Member Supporter

I will join in! Here is a s a Speedmaster 552 that I picked up for $100. I did the stock and took the barrel and action to a gunsmith. It was in very rough shape when I bought it. 810DB5B9-250F-4868-A838-98E0A3D08CC0.jpeg

5. Pat Harmon

That came out very nice!!!

LElliott likes this.
  6. elk creek

elk creek Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a Savage 24. 22lr. and 410 shotgun barrels. My parents gave this 1F3C12D3-A539-45E7-8916-F0E5C9CD1FB3.jpeg to me at the age of 10. I restored the stock while in high school shop class in 1988. It has never been reblued. I am gonna have to go put some lead through it......

Silver-Bolt, LElliott, Danzig and 3 others like this.
  7. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh i tried. The octagonal barrel is what did me in, lol.

LElliott and Old Bloke like this.
  8. Old Bloke

Old Bloke Why Me Lord ? Why Me! Supporter

[​IMG]

A refurbished .22 Pump action Sportco (money well spent)

Lucian_253, LElliott and Danzig like this.
  9. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Dayum, those squirrels musta had gold teeth or sumthin, lol

10. Pat Harmon

On to my next project. The Remington 540X came out exceptional and it's fully assembled once again. The next project is my Savage 340B in .22 Hornet. This gun was re-stocked due to being run over by a tractor(which I have as well) The end of this stock was cut and the more I look at it the more I like it. I have shot many,many groundhogs and this gun shoots exceptionally well. The sheen on this stock is rather hazy looking. It is a walnut stock. I may try a different route to bring out the woodgrain and see how it looks. I hope my grandkids appreciate these projects one day like I do.. 20200919_170347.jpg