My Hands

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jakejeter16, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jakejeter16

jakejeter16 New Member

I just bought a Glock 23 Gen 4 and I've run probably 750 round through it. I have two problems that are occurring. First is that I am firing left....always. I looked it up and found that I might not be using enough finger on the trigger but alas 200 more rounds with more finger and I still have the same problem. Secondly I am getting a worn spot on my thump right at the base of it. So my question is really one...what am I doing wrong with my grip?

2. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Had the same problem with my Gen 4 23, it was also wearing on my middle finger where it meets the trigger guard. Traded it for a Gen 3 23, no more issues. It may just be my personal experience do go trading your Gen 4 right away. See what some others may say on the forum.

3. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

If your constantly shooting left it may not be your grip or rather your your finger. Are you shooting free hand or with a support hand? If with a support hand, try free hand and see if your still shooting left. Experiment with it get a good firm support where you know it not moving, it could be you need to move your rear sight to the right.
    Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, JakeJeter16, and WELCOME to the Forum!

If you could post a *Hi There* and tell us a little about you in the Introductions Forum, other Members will have a chance to welcome you as well.

Now, about your question: It would be helpful if you could provide a little bit more detail. Are you right-handed, left-handed, shooting with one hand or if with supprt hand, please describe the positions of the support hand and fingers. Do you rest the joint of the trigger finger on the trigger, or the fleshy pad of the finger, or past the joint?

Sometimes (and I have seen this with other pistols in .40S&W) when the grip is somewhat loose, the pistol bucks in the hand, first of all forcing the backstrap to dig into the hand at the base of the thumb, and as the shooter reflexively tightens the grip and the wrist tilts down to counter the recoil, the bottom of the trigger guard digs into the base of the finger beneath it. This is not the same as limpwristing.

Perhaps more details can help other Members offer up their suggestions?

Cheers!

5. EvilD

EvilD New Member

left is not enough finger on the trigger, you might also be gripping too tight with your middle fingers especially if its low left

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum jakejeter16 !!

7. jakejeter16

jakejeter16 New Member

That's a good idea, I am right handed and I shoot with the tradition over lapping thumb grip. I have noticed I DO NOT shoot to the left when I shoot with just my right hand though. When it comes to my trigger finger I place the trigger in the crease of my first joint. I am fairly new to hand gun so part of my my concern is recoil so if anything I'd be gripping to hard opposed to overly loose.

8. Flinch? I noticed this when I first shot my pistol. I shoot left handed and was pulling right. Get a mate to load a mag with dummy rounds mixed into it to see if you have picked up a flinch... A guy at my club did this for me and I noticed is was flinching to the wright during trigger pull. I have since been doing dry fire practice focusing on the front sight post and been consitant in the pull.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, and remember, the motion of the trigger finger is to squeeze the trigger straight back. Sometimes the finger rolls on the trigger, jerking to one side or another (depending of leftie or rightie). To check this, position to fire with pad of finger correctly positioned on trigger. Then fire, and keep the trigger locked back (gun still on target). Look at your finger...did its placement on the trigger change? (and don't forget to take finger off trigger after inspecting!).

10. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Try this, with the gun empty, pick a target and line up your sights than dry fire and see where which way your sights move, if you have proper trigger control, they won't move at all, if your sights go left than too little finger or possibly too firm a grip, if they don't' move, your probably flinching.

11. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure if it was already mentioned as I haven't read all of the comments but another way to test if you're flinching would be to hold out your gun like you would when target shooting and dry fire it but also have an empty brass casing sitting at the tip of the slide/barrel, if it moves and/or falls off then you keep dry firing with the casing on there until you can do it steady without the brass moving at all... Then after you get good at that do the same thing but with an empty .22 brass casing as that will be a little more difficult to keep from falling off... LEO practice this quite frequently in their respective academies and it works well :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=6580

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=8154

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=17456

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=5970

13. Is it consistantly left... like good grouping left?

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Jakejeter16:

Thumbs should be on the same side of the firearm! Overlapping thumbs, regardless of anything else, can get injured when the slide moves rearward after a shot.

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

This might help. It is for right-handed shooters.

Attached Files: