My Glock Gen3 22 Is Nightstand Ready

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by AVG, Dec 2, 2017.

1. AVG

AVG Member

Today got my new Viridian X5L light & laser came in by USPS.I installed it on my Glock Gen3 22 40s&w. Their is a good review on You-tube .Here is a photo of mine.
    https://flic.kr/p/ZKUsDP

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Ten Man and Retired1 like this.
  2. L-2

L-2 Member

CA/NV
    Just an FYI,
    The G22Gen3 with a weapon-light attached needs to be periodically function-fired to verify the gun & light are working together. When not working well together, the gun & weapon-light may exhibit intermittent failures to feed.

Glock has 11-coil mag springs Glock #33601.
    It may also be good to ensure a new recoil spring assembly (RSA) is installed and working with the combination. You might keep the older RSA for practice if it's still passing Glock's RSA test.

3. AVG

AVG Member

Thank you for the info. The gun has 400 rounds thru it right now with no hang ups before the Viridian install. Will see how she does at the range this week.

4. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Many drawbacks to a mounted on the gun light. First of all, if you are not a part of a team, Swat, Seals, or whatever, with others covering your back and sides, and are alone, your light makes for a great target for the bad guy(s) and also alerts to where you are coming from ... not good. To see the bad guy you light him up and it is a drunk that has come to wrong address, or your nephew came over without calling, and you are pointing a loaded gun, finger on the trigger at a non-threat, not good again.

Other than that I don't see much wrong with it, it looks great!

The gun is ready...............

Have you trained in the dark? Can you clear a gun in the dark if issues arrive, and have done so multiple times in training? Can you index the magazines in the dark at speed? There is more to it, but just a quick check as it is NOT the same as shooting in the light, with ears on, and fully awake and alert. Can you wake and immediately and safely grab your gun in the dark if the bad guy is almost to your bedroom or whatever room you use it for? Coffee drinkers are well known not to be. In most homes, and I have entered hundreds at night searching, I could walk, not run, to the bedroom and catch the homeowner off guard, confused, and could not fend off a mouse much less an experienced bad guy.

Most home invaders come with a gun, and usually two or more buddies with a gun. If you are focused in your own light, the dark periphery around him makes it hard for you to see the others who now have a great target to shoot at ... your light, hand and gun, without you ever knowing they were there!

This is why the dark is dangerous and only predators go out to play ... I found this out the hard way on the streets and in Africa, as Lions are King in the dark and feed on humans with guns and lights foolish enough to be doing so.

People are afraid of the dark, aren't they ... tactical flashlight sales are booming!

Just wondering... The gun is ready.............

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    porchman likes this.
  5. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Much better to have a light mounted than not. If a drunk (or for that matter, anyone not invited) is walking thru my front door, whether it be nighttime or daytime, he will have a gun pointed at him until his intentions are well known.

AVG, the weapon mounted light is an excellent idea. I have searched many buildings and homes with handheld lights (long before weapon mounted lights were available) and my own home numerous times with a weapon light. It is always better to have a light mounted on the weapon.

Ten Man and L-2 like this.
  6. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Great! In due respect I will have my light in my hand. On some searches of large mansions I had a gun in each hand so all I had to do is turn my head and not by body to shoot 360 degrees. One night I found a person, bad guy or whatever hiding under a desk in an office. I asked him why he was there, and he said, "Everyone has to be somewhere!"

One man cars have some reservations, and searching without cover is one of them!

7. AVG

AVG Member

OK guys out to the range today down in Tampa Florida at Shooters World. I got to put 60 rounds thru the Glock 22 40. I had no hang ups with the gun or laser. The laser was almost on bull had to move it only 1" to the left. Look guys the gun may be night stand ready but me at 77 years old i am not :).

porchman, jamesdo72 and DAVEF like this.
  8. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

At least you have a chance if you are armed and ready! A dog can assist in warning and slowing down the Ba---rd! I have more than one dog, and I have more than one gun! When you are ready you rarely have to do what you got ready for; nature's law not mine!!!

9. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

?????? Some of the time you make little sense and the rest of the time no sense. Hope you are not a trainer of tactics;)

You were, or are in law enforcement? Or a security position of some sort? Just because you point a gun at someone doesn't mean you are pulling the trigger or have your finger on the trigger. When conducting a building search, wherever my eyes are, my gun is pointed in that direction.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    jat17 and L-2 like this.
  10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

My weapon light is bright enough to illuminate a subject without barrel pointed at subject.

I actually had one of those bump in the night scares that showed me the reality of waking from a deep sleep resulting in me fumbling around my nightstand searching for my gun. Had an intruder actually entered then I likely would have been dead before getting a solid grasp on my weapon and being in position to clearly identify and respond. Real life is often far from the teachings of the internet, YouTube or even those highly praised tactical classes. Still rather have my light mounted. Trying to acquire gun was hard enough. Adding the acquisition of a light just more problems.

Here’s how I look at it. I have zero intention of clearing my house. I’m in my bedroom. Bad guy knows at night that’s probably where I’d be. What does it matter if I have a light to give my position away since it’s no mystery. Plus I can turn on and off instantly. I’m not foolish enough to walk around with a loud speaker alerting my exact presence. Why would I be walking around with a bright light on?

I train in my garage at night which is pitch black by going from dark to full bright and eliminating an old Halloween scare crow (I know, funny mental picture) I place by the door so I know how much I can see with barrel pointed safely off subject positioned in such a way a quick adjustment has me dead on subject. How fast I will be under actual life threatening and not training? No clue.

I have not devised any tactics for training to suddenly wake from a deep sleep without anticipated notice. It is what it is. I do my best within my limits to protect family and self. No one is invincible regardless how armed or how prepare they may think they are.

Ten Man and MtnCCW like this.
  11. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

If someone enters my house, and assuming our kids aren't home, the wife and I are going out the window ... with a phone, gun & flashlight. First thing I will call the police.

If our kids are in the house, I'll then put my life at risk to get to them and get them out of the house, out their windows

If you can avoid a confrontation, you have more time for the police to get there and arrest them and get your valuables back. If they brought a car, you can get a picture & license plates.

Food for thought to consider ... seems like everyone thinks you need to confront the robber ... there are other options

cnutco, MtnCCW and rbbeers like this.
  12. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^^ +10 ^^^^^

PattonWasRight likes this.
  13. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

I can write more simply if it will help! I see you rush to judgement without knowing any real facts. I hope you are not on the streets and making such errors in judgement, are you a security guy at the local movie theater! Anyone can say they are anything here on the net, can't they?

"wherever my eyes are, my gun is pointed in that direction.[/QUOTE]"

That is the way you are trained, but as if in the ring one must adjust in the real world, rookies who make blanket statements have not learned such as of yet, old school cops adjust, if his or her EARS detects noise other than where the eyes are looking he adjusts, and if behind him he must turn to shoot, but with two guns one can just choose the other hand without taking more time to turn, and most likely getting dead before doing so. Rookies always take training as if it is real. I could train you to box, but in a real fight with Mike Tyson you would find it is a tad different.

Have fun, stay alive, keep your head down ...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

You should stay put in a secure place and wait for the cops if possible, sometimes the bad guy(s) will not let you do that, so wait for us, the cops, to get there. If you hear or see the cops on scene and can call, do so and let the cop or cops know where you are for your safety. DO NOT HAVE A GUN IN YOUR HAND if you are sure the cops are near your location! Also be ready to adapt and not go by some plan you read or heard, as bad guys see the same videos you do, and can be good con men, and may try to talk you out of cover! Bad guys usually come in more than one, and today have guns. In the old days burglars didn't carry guns, they took the risk of arrest, not getting shot. Such was the difference between burglars and robbery suspects who do shoot and carry guns as part of their work! IF you have a hand held flashlight, even if you have one on your gun, carry it. You can put it down and leave it on, drawing the rats to it, as you cover the spot from cover! Calling the cops is not a quick thing as most folks think. Cops don't hang around the police station like cab drivers in the TV show Taxi! They are on the road, mostly busy (big departments, not the small town two man departments of course), some are busy on traffic accidents, investigating other burglaries or domestic violence calls, or transporting a DUI driver to the country jail. Never count on a quick response at a specific time, you are lucky if they do, not the other way around!

15. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

Bill,

There's absolutely NFW I'm 'staying put' if I can run (disengage and retreat, as they say). o_O

I've never lost a fight I wasn't in... and, when I can avoid one, I'm 'outta here'. ;)

In 30 seconds, I'll be gone... long before 'help' arrives. :rolleyes:

'Confrontation:eek:' is my last resort! :mad:

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    MtnCCW, DAVEF and PattonWasRight like this.
  16. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Right ... I'm getting far away from my house. Far enough away they can't see me, but I can still monitor. I live in a suburban area, lots of police avail to stop waiting for speeders and jump on a "burglary in progress" call, I hope at least.

MtnCCW and jamesdo72 like this.
  17. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun Member

But Joe Biden said all you have to do is rack a shotgun and the bad guys will run away in fear...

MtnCCW, jat17 and DAVEF like this.
  18. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Never been a security guard. Worked for a federal law enforcement agency with more comprehensive training than the FBI (local FBI agents came to us for questions and training) and a much broader investigative role than the FBI, probably the broadest of any agency in the world since we did everything from arson, protective service, drug investigations, fraud, counterintelligence, counterespionage, combat counterintelligence, POW interrogations, and anything else related to felonies. Also worked for a local law enforcement agency. I am in a completely different field now. Based on my training and your input, I would say your training is lacking. Based on some of your statements "One man cars have some reservations" I am not sure where you are coming from?

jat17 and PattonWasRight like this.
  19. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

I considered a WML for my HD gun for a while... then I saw the light bulbs below on Amazon.
    Aukora 9W Motion Activated LED Bulb
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RP4X4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YlmkAbJEG52VK
    Bought a couple 2 packs and have them mounted in lights near all of my entry doors, and in the hallway leading to my bedroom.
    Now, I merely go to bed with a few fixtures left "on". Once the sensor goes undisturbed long enough (2 min, I think) the lights go out. Now, a bump in the night may still send me clambering to the nightstand, but if no lights come on, I can give the house a security sweep without soiling my BVDs.
    Taking nothing away from weapon mounted lights, but simply another (albeit not as fun) option.

20. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Those are quite nice. Thanks for the link. I need to show my wife. She will probably want a few, especially for our long hallway. Although, our dogs will turn them on at night when they decide to leave the bedroom and lay by the front door.

I would still suggest a weapon mounted light for a few reasons. If power is off then you still need a battery operated light unless you have a very nice generator system. Plus the blinding effect of one of the good weapon mounted lights can work to your advantage. When I am carrying either one of my Glock 19's or 20's, I am usually carrying it with a weapon mounted light.

jamesdo72 and rbbeers like this.