Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I created this account because I really ain't got folks to talk about this subject with nor do I want to advertise to anybody that I'm potentially armed, even though I have my CCW permit and am therefore legal.

I have had a Gen 4 Glock 19 since somewhere between 2014-2016. It was my first gun of any sort. I've handled a different makes/models since. I recently acquired a P365 that took me 2-3 days to feel consistent with a laserlyte cartridge once I started focusing on my fundamentals. And I get that the "Glock Trigger" has never been anything to write home about. But I do believe that the trigger pull of my Gen4 was abnormally stiff compared to anything I've ever shot, and more than likely compared to previous gen glocks. I think my Gen 4 might have been rough compared to even other Gen 4 9mm examples out there.

For the life of me.. with IDK how many hours of dry fire practice, no matter how I adjusted my grip, no matter how slowly I applied pressure until the trigger broke, no matter what part of my finger was on the trigger, no matter that the sights didn't move as I took up the slack before the wall, by the time I was applying enough pressure for the trigger to break it would break violently and I could not consistently keep my sights still when depressing the trigger. Using a laserlyte, for the fraction of a second it would light up you could watch the dot draw a line, and with my most stable grip and best efforts at trigger control it would move at least a little bit.

In the half a decade since I've owned it, I've regularly come back to forums like these, where there have been quite a few complaints about Gen 4 9mm triggers, where at the same time you get people who say their gen 4 feels fine, that swapping for a gen 3 trigger bar felt no different, or that the gen 4 felt better to them. So I kept it bone stock and tried to live with it.

After getting the P365 I was about ready to give up on the 19 and try to sell it and maybe see how I felt about the Gen 5s I've been reading good things about since I had holsters and extra mags already. Instead of doing that, I took it a part and looked at the connector.. I thought it was a standard connector and that made sense based on what I'd read. I had trouble finding dot connectors and ended up with an NP3 coated OEM dot connector from Overwatch Precision. I also, decided to order an OEM Gen 3 Glock 17 trigger from another company.

Both arrived the same day except the retailer I ordered the trigger from sent me an Overwatch Precision PolyDAT. And it also turned out, that my NP3 coated OEM dot connector replaced, an OEM dot connector with a very feint dot. I think the only change that may have made was the lack of a requirement for lube between the connector and the trigger bar. I find the flat faced trigger much more comfortable.. but I think in my case, the real winner here is the polished Gen 3 trigger bar, making it a direct drop in. I don't own a trigger pull scale, I don't want to say the pull feels "Lighter". It feels less stiff. Or less rough. Which, may be also be lighter. I think it's honestly more along the lines of what a stock glock trigger is supposed to feel like minus the flat trigger, but can only speculate. It's still heavier than that of my P365, but I can actually keep the sight picture still now. I still have takeup, a firm wall, and a crisp break, but it's not a violent break. Much more controlled and less finicky about how I'm holding it. I like it so much I ordered a set of trijicons which I'm going to have someone install before I put in some range time on Tuesday.

I really did not like this Glock 19 for so long. I'm not sure whether I should count an NP3 coated OEM dot connector from a dot connector as a mod, but dropping in a gen 3 trigger bar with a flat faced trigger from Overwatch has flipped the script. I thanked the company for sending me the wrong order and for half the cost. I mean.. it's still doesn't feel as good as the trigger on my P365, or a number of handguns I've fired since.. but it has vastly improved my control as I no longer have to fight the trigger of my Glock 19 and I don't think I'm ever going to sell it at this point. All with changing out two parts, with what were mostly factory parts minus the trigger face. No spring changes. Operates pretty much the same, it just feels better.

Anyway.. long story short.. sorry I didn't listen sooner to those of you who over the years have been claiming a gen 3 TB improved the feel of your Gen 4 9mm platform.. as long as you're shooting righty anyway.

PXL_20210713_204252148.jpg PXL_20210713_204237534.jpg

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
Looks good! Welcome to the forum from North Texas!
Glock pumps out tons of guns, a few less than optimal pistols come through. Warranty usually takes care of it but some heavy triggers are still within factory spec.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad it worked out for you.

I have a G19.3 I bought new in early ‘09. That gun has a sweet trigger but also has 5k+ rd count. However even right out of the box it was never an issue.

In the summer of ‘18 I bought a new G19.4FS summer special. After a 1,000 rds I gave up on the trigger and installed a Ranger Proof flat faced trigger in it. Problem solved.

Recently I bought a used G19.4 which aperas to have very few rds through it. That gun has a decent trigger. I say decent compared to my Gen3. But it’s something I can work with. Much better than the 19FS. Hopefully with more rds it improves even more. So who knows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Glad it worked out for you.

I have a G19.3 I bought new in early ‘09. That gun has a sweet trigger but also has 5k+ rd count. However even right out of the box it was never an issue.

In the summer of ‘18 I bought a new G19.4FS summer special. After a 1,000 rds I gave up on the trigger and installed a Ranger Proof flat faced trigger in it. Problem solved.

Recently I bought a used G19.4 which aperas to have very few rds through it. That gun has a decent trigger. I say decent compared to my Gen3. But it’s something I can work with. Much better than the 19FS. Hopefully with more rds it improves even more. So who knows.
That resonates. I mean the FS version only added front serrations to the slide right? Does your used 19.4 have a stock TB+connector? If so I'm a little curious what variances there might have been between those two parts that made one feel better than the other. Size of the bump for the safety plunger part of the gen 4 TB? Rough surfaces where the TB meets the striker or connector? Rough spots on the connector? I mean.. I'm not actually asking anybody to dig into this. This could be one reason gen 4 9mm has been discontinued and why the Gen 5 versions come with improved safety mechanisms.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Unrelated to the post I responded to, and in hindsight, compared to other stores I overpaid a bit for the OEM Smooth Gen 3 trigger I ordered, but hey they were at least listed as in stock. I did pay less than half the cost of the PolyDAT though. Having experienced it I'd have paid the $60 for it even though essentially it's a polished factory trigger bar with a different polymer trigger shoe. Having done some reading and youtube watching the PolyDAT seems well regarded. I'm going to load up some mags with 2 rounds each when I hit the range just to be safe and sure, but I'm expecting no difference in functionality of stock mechanisms as like I said there's no difference in take up, where the trigger breaks, or where it resets when I rack the slide with the trigger depressed while dry firing. May post a pic when I get the Trijicon HD XR's installed.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had my Trijicon HD XR's installed yesterday before hitting the range with the new trigger and I said I might upload a pic. So here that is. Side note..my camera seems to pick them up glowing even though its daylight out and the light is on in the room. Rear dots looked like clear plastic to the naked eye. Nice glow in low light . Nothing most of you haven't seen before, but im certainly enjoying the new sights, and especially the new trigger. Out of three handguns, I shot my best groupings with the Glock 19 yesterday. I have some work to do before I can think about rapid follow up shots, but between dryfire with the laserlyte and more range time, I think i can get there. The triggers of my other weapons still feel better to me, but I'm liking my G19.4 at this point.

PXL_20210721_201006816.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts