My drop free mags

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ANIMAL!!!, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ANIMAL!!!

ANIMAL!!! New Member

About 60 rounds into my range session today my drop free magazines stopped dropping free. I have a gen 4 19. Has this happened to anyone else? I was using the standard 15 rd magazines.

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I know my gen2 g23 mags dont drop free but i dont know if thats normal or not with the gen 2s.

3. Never from normal use.

Only time I've had it happen was from using my own real guns to mold holsters from w/o mags in them. Once I repaired the issue, never had any more issues and I average 400-800 rounds per range session in one gun.

4. ANIMAL!!!

ANIMAL!!! New Member

I guess it's about time I clean them. Haven't yet and I've fired about 1200-1400 rounds. Should I use any solvents or just give them a good wipe down?

5. I've never cleaned mine. I drop/throw them in the dirt or what ever I'm standing on at the range and some of them have 10-20,000 rounds through them. I don't take care of my magazines at all. :cool:

If I were to clean them I would use the same stuff I clean the guns with. In my case it's Ballistol.

When I did have an issue from molding holsters w/o mags in them I was actually crushing the frame some. I repaired that issue by laying two layers of black electrical tape down each side of a magazine, insert into gun and heated it up with a hair dryer then let cool.

6. ANIMAL!!!

ANIMAL!!! New Member

Just wiped all my magazines down with a cotton cloth and now all are dropping free!

7. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

What is a drop free mag

8. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Where ur mag just drops free

9. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

Doesn't it do that anyway

10. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Well Yes and No! Some of the older Mags were not drop free. I know the First Glock 21 that I bought came with no drop mags. So I made them drop free :D But the OP stated his were drop free then They apparently got dirty and ceased to be drop free until he wiped them down. Then they were Drop Free again!

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Explains why mine arnt drop free. Mine was made in 10/1990

12. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

Doesn't it do that anyway

13. The older, non-metal lined mags were actually designed to NOT drop free so you'd not lose it during battle. Since the only "battle" most of us will see is an IPSC or IDPA match it's better to have a mag that'll drop free so we can do a fast reload. Glock redesigned the mags with a metal liner and made them so they'll drop free of the gun when the mag release is pushed which made us all a lot happier.:D Only time they won't drop free is when the mag well in the gun is dirty or the mag body gets dirty. Other then that they should drop out of the gun when you push the button if they're the newer style mags.;)

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Time to get me some gen3 mags for my gen2 g23...

15. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

Okay I get it when you release the mag it will automatically drop out without having to pull it out

16. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Yes with the Newer metal lined Magazines. Of Course When I say newer that is a relative term. I think in 1991 or there abouts Glock started making Metal Lined Mags. They might have been making them for the 9mm earlier than that as that is what the cops were almost all using! But I have searched for a Specific time or date that Glock made the drop free mags and can not find it.