Glock Firearms banner
241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
UMC stuff? I sometimes use their 130-grain fmjfp in my 16" .357 carbine because it's flatpoint, jacketed, and stays subsonic, but in handguns have always been put off by the flash from UMC pistol ammo; the JHP stuff has seemed even worse than the FMJFP stuff for flash.
Yup.
Rectangle Font Signage Brand Advertising

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
UMC stuff? I sometimes use their 130-grain fmjfp in my 16" .357 carbine because it's flatpoint, jacketed, and stays subsonic, but in handguns have always been put off by the flash from UMC pistol ammo; the JHP stuff has seemed even worse than the FMJFP stuff for flash.
I’ve definitively noticed the bigger muzzle flash also when I shot both the WWB .40 ammo and the Rem. UMC .40 ammo at night. Both of them cycled fine though. Should I be avoiding the UMC? Am I putting undue wear & tear on my gun when I use it?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
I’ve definitively noticed the bigger muzzle flash also when I shot both the WWB .40 ammo and the Rem. UMC .40 ammo at night. Both of them cycled good fine though. Should I be avoiding the UMC? Am I putting undue wear & tear on my gun when I use it?
It’s just the manufacturers choice of propellant they are using. I’m sure that they meet spec and would not cause any issues versus any other brand. Certain ingredients and burn rates will cause more perceptible flash, smoke and residue.

When the .40 came out one of the advertised benefits was that the ammo was low flash. But that was when there were a few manufacturers plus LE/duty grade ammo tends to use premium components.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I’ve definitively noticed the bigger muzzle flash also when I shot both the WWB .40 ammo and the Rem. UMC .40 ammo at night. Both of them cycled fine though. Should I be avoiding the UMC? Am I putting undue wear & tear on my gun when I use it?
Agree with Danzig. It's not that it's more powerful, it's imo just a different (dirtier/coarser/etc) powder. I can't see them knowingly exceeding pressure standards on stuff that isn't geared toward 'performance' use, but is 95% of the time just range fodder.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Agree with Danzig. It's not that it's more powerful, it's imo just a different (dirtier/coarser/etc) powder. I can't see them knowingly exceeding pressure standards on stuff that isn't geared toward 'performance' use, but is 95% of the time just range fodder.
Somehow, Underwood ammo has way less muzzle flash. Must be because the energy behind the bullet is wasted less.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Somehow, Underwood ammo has way less muzzle flash.
"As with all of Underwood Ammo™ rounds, we utilize flash suppressed powder so that your vision will not be compromised if it becomes necessary to use your firearm in low light."

Underwood Ammo™
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo

Flash suppressed powders are typical for premium self-defense cartridges (like HSTs, Rangers, et cetera).

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
"As with all of Underwood Ammo™ rounds, we utilize flash suppressed powder so that your vision will not be compromised if it becomes necessary to use your firearm in low light."

Underwood Ammo™
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo

Flash suppressed powders are typical for premium self-defense cartridges (like HSTs, Rangers, et cetera).

Best regards,

Bob
That too, lol

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
Plant Plant community Camouflage Military camouflage Tree

We look at sergeant candidates in the Panzergrenadier Battalion 122, during their training in group defense. They are using the Maschinengewehr MG5 (HK121) and the standard-issue HK G36. 7,62 NATO and 5,56 NATO in a fine combination, but the G36 is soon in for a replacement. According to Wikipedia, the unit cost for the MG5 is 16,000 Euros.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
Sky Cloud Atmosphere Light Astronomical object

HMS Argyll takes part in day and night gunnery firing exercises with HMAS Stuart whilst on Exercise Bersama Lima in the Far East.

Royal Navy frigates and destroyers are all fitted with a 4.5 inch (114 mm) gun and one of its roles (NGS) is to provide fire support to troops ashore.

The serial was co-ordinated with Australian Ship HMAS Stuart and involved single and multiple day time firings. After a short break waiting for night to fall, the firing then continued into the evening with night time star shell illumination firings.

241 - 260 of 289 Posts