Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to see what everyone's must have EDC piece upgrades are? More so I would like to know specifically what you have done to yours and why. What night sights do you prefer and why? Extended mag release? is it really necessary??

I believe this thread could turn into a great place to learn some stuff.

·
Low speed High drag
2,202 Posts
Holsters ! When I had my 1st G19 I had alot of holsters and that was it. I carried it for years and did nothing to it then I was stupid and sold it. With the one I just got I may and I say may..put a laser or laser/light combo on it. I like lasers but they aren't necessary.
The trigger gets better the more you shoot it so I leave them be.
I don't have big hands and I can hit the stock slide and mag release so I leave them on the G19.
It's your firearm though so set it up how you like it and make it yours. Alot of the guys on here do have some amazing G19's I'm sure they will come along and hopefully show their G19's so you can get some ideas.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Other than sights, for EDC, I’d say there’s a contingent of those who will say leave it as is. There’s the liability consideration … do you want some lawyer to say you have a “dangerously light hair trigger” … as well as keeping what’s known to work as is, left as is. A lot of modifications are done by competitors for legit reasons, but for carry, sticking with oem isn’t a bad way to go.

There’s lotsa’ threads on sights, which are a personal thing. For me, the stock “drop in a bucket” sights work quickly and accurately enough, though having night sights is a good idea. That said, in a gunfight, sights aren’t really used. I practice fast, rapid shot strings of 3 rounds at a time with tape over my sights … my goal are 3 hits in an 8.5 x 11 target at 7 yards as fast as I can.

Lotsa’ threads on holsters, but how much do people practice their draw from it? Do it hundreds of times, and going backwards, from the ground etc and you’ll be a lot more prepared than burning up thousands of rounds at the range in static fire worried about tight groups that look pretty.

Sorry, if this is a buzzkill, but you have one heck of a SD gun and the best “modification” for it is practicing with it!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Talon Rubberized grips and XS Big Dot Sights. On my wife'a G26 she has Meprolight sights and Extended Magazine Release and Slide Stop Release.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Other than sights the best upgrade you can do is the shooter. Spend money on training and ammo.

For sights on EDC I use Glock factory night sights ($57 for full set). For comp guns, Dawson Precision.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel pretty much the same as upgrades are concerned. I always install night sights but I never mess with the triggers or any internal parts. I did order the vickers tactical slide rack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe in making a weapon work for you. Often you get oposition about custom firearms.

A clean shoot is a clean shoot. If a combative makes a move with a knife or firearm and DRT's. It's not your problem. Many firearms break lighter comparitive to glock. If the combative has a knife make your choice. If he has a gun make a choice. You live is the ultimate goal.

All my glocks break at 3.5 to 4.0 lbs. Apex trigger. Springs adjusted for me. Warren tactical sights.

I personally don't use night sights. I can't imagine a situation where I will discharge a round without 100% positively identifying my target. I carry a light instead.

If you are attacked and use a sword in contrast to a 2.5 folder and defend your life, what's the difference? A 3.5 trigger in contrast to 6.0 during a clean shoot is mute. Use your brain, be a thinking man.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not trying to start an argument, however, show me case law where trigger lbs were measured and a victim defended there right to survival. Then show me the exact case where the ASA or SA prosecuted the case.... I am still searching.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think the light trigger might be more of a bad judgement and it going off. For example, misidentifying a target and it goes off. Having stock may have prevented a discharge in the heat of that exchange.

My understanding is LE rifles have triggers which are harder to discharge initially but with easier follow ups because often assailants are held at gun point. You normally don't have that in SD scenario from what I've researched or the scenarios I run through my head to best prepare.

I get one's finger is the control as well as knowing the proper safety rules but it doesn't hurt being extra cautious with that first discharge. It's a personal decision but for me hair triggers aren't going to be used for either SD or HD.

I'm actually looking into a NY1 plus (-) minus connector as I think it makes that first pull harder but follow ups easier. Not sure. Still researching. Might just get it done and try it out to see. Going back quickly to stock isn't that difficult and it wasn't that expensive to try.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As for night sights. Just don't get it for SD. Most situations I've ran through my mind based on my experiences of where I've been have me with enough light to see my sights and assailant or I'm such a manner that I wouldn't be using them because of proximity or shooting posture.

The rare scenario is one where I'm in total darkness and wouldn't be able to see my assailant either. In that scenario a light is needed. The last would be where I'm in darkness but my assailant isn't. Although, if the assailant is inside 7 yards I'm confident I can hit them center mass just based on range time not using sights.

Having said all that. Eventually I'll get them but it's not a priority at the moment. Still working on a good carry light that can blind my target yet an ease to carry. Plus a holster for that light and spare mag.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Just a side note. There are Firearms that need a better tuned trigger. I had a specific issue with my stock G17 trigger feeling GRITTY. A $20 Lightning Strike Titanium Plunger solved that ( never touched trigger bar or Spring).

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Not trying to start an argument, however, show me case law where trigger lbs were measured and a victim defended there right to survival. Then show me the exact case where the ASA or SA prosecuted the case.... I am still searching.
Exactly right. If its a bad shoot then you are screwed anyway. If its a good shoot and someone comes after you it will be because you carry a gun in the first place, not because you have a different trigger connector in it. Guns have different trigger weights, if trigger weight mattered they would be prosecuting for certain types of guns like many 1911's. Many put new trigger parts in 1911's or build their own. Not to mention custom made ones.

People that scared should rethink carrying one as they will come after you just for having it far more than anyone else.

People have been parroting ayoob's bs for years. Some writer decides trigger pull should be 4 pounds for a carry gun and mods are bad and people buy it.

Another opinion. I agree with it.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/concealed-carry/modify-carry-gun/

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Take shooting lessons from a USPSA GM or IDPA Master, and learn the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then get on to transitions and movement. New magic won't help you without the fundamentals.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use Trijicon Trinium HD sights,(hate factory Glock sights)
I do lighten my trigger which does make me shoot better.
As far as legal issues, all lawyers agree as long as you DO NOT tamper with any factory safety on the firearm you will be fine. A shooting is either justified or it's not. The lighter trigger if anything made me a better shot, however if my trigger was so light I had a accidental double tap and hit the innocent person next to the one I meant to shoot then I have a problem.
I don't think if my trigger is 4.5# or 5# it will make any difference if it is a justified shooting. My 34 had a factory 4.5# trigger, my wife's 19 was 5#, at the moment both are now at 4# and I am not concerned if I used either defending myself. You also don't ever say "I didn't mean to shoot him" or "I didn't want to" you need to say "I had no other option but to defend myself"
I hope I never have to draw my firearm but will do what I need to defend my wife or myself. If anyone has doubts talk with a lawyer, consultations are sometimes free or not all that expensive. This reminds me I need to join USCCA, I finally have a few days off and it's on my list.

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
Must have upgrades besides mags and ammo. # 1 new sights. I really like trijicon hd's, XS big dots, or I-dot pros. On gen.3 Glocks I like Talon grips. Everything else is not a must have imho.

I forgot quality belt & holster.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gen 4 Glock 33, 3.5 lb. trigger, Diamond Speed Sights in tritium, Pachmayr grip sleeve. It works well for me, that's what matters to me. I took my Viridian laser off

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm struggling greatly to find a good belt/holster combination. Back injury has me ruling out many options. So I value the input and pictures that are posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agreement! As Is.

Other than sights, for EDC, I’d say there’s a contingent of those who will say leave it as is. There’s the liability consideration … do you want some lawyer to say you have a “dangerously light hair trigger” … as well as keeping what’s known to work as is, left as is. A lot of modifications are done by competitors for legit reasons, but for carry, sticking with oem isn’t a bad way to go.

There’s lotsa’ threads on sights, which are a personal thing. For me, the stock “drop in a bucket” sights work quickly and accurately enough, though having night sights is a good idea. That said, in a gunfight, sights aren’t really used. I practice fast, rapid shot strings of 3 rounds at a time with tape over my sights … my goal are 3 hits in an 8.5 x 11 target at 7 yards as fast as I can.

Lotsa’ threads on holsters, but how much do people practice their draw from it? Do it hundreds of times, and going backwards, from the ground etc and you’ll be a lot more prepared than burning up thousands of rounds at the range in static fire worried about tight groups that look pretty.

Sorry, if this is a buzzkill, but you have one heck of a SD gun and the best “modification” for it is practicing with it!
I'm in agreement with you here. I've seen so many posts of first time owners asking the first question about "What do I add now" or similar. Self defense guns are designed for that purpose and quality ones will serve that purpose well.
I always suggest for a first time owner to fire five hundred rounds through it
(within seven yards) and then think about modifying it.
Their gun. Painting it purple if they want to is okay with me.
Poli Viejo

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe in making a weapon work for you. Often you get oposition about custom firearms.

A clean shoot is a clean shoot. If a combative makes a move with a knife or firearm and DRT's. It's not your problem. Many firearms break lighter comparitive to glock. If the combative has a knife make your choice. If he has a gun make a choice. You live is the ultimate goal.

All my glocks break at 3.5 to 4.0 lbs. Apex trigger. Springs adjusted for me. Warren tactical sights.

I personally don't use night sights. I can't imagine a situation where I will discharge a round without 100% positively identifying my target. I carry a light instead.

If you are attacked and use a sword in contrast to a 2.5 folder and defend your life, what's the difference? A 3.5 trigger in contrast to 6.0 during a clean shoot is mute. Use your brain, be a thinking man.
This is what I also believe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts