Glock Firearms banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
My favorite is the old style leatherman wave, but I never warmed up to the new version after they changed the design some years ago. Still have the old wave, and have gone to the supertool 300 as my second favorite/backup, and for gifts & such.
The only big difference between the old Wave and the Wave + is the replaceable wire cutters. I use my Wave + for a lot of little fixes around the house. I keep a couple small multi-tools with my Glock & AR gear. Those 2 don’t get used very much, but it’s good to know they are there just in case.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Leatherman has a new ratchet driver that fits in the large bit driver on their more popular tools. I went to order one yesterday for my Charge+, but they are currently out of stock if you try to order direct from Leatherman.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Got one of these a few months ago thanks to a multi tool thread. I am not much of a fan, because they aren't always very useable and feel like carrying a boat anchor.. This is light slim, has tools I will actually use, and works OK. You won't take a project apart, or I won't, but for a quick fix and non intrusive pocket carry, this one works for me.
It was a little rough when I got it. Not the best construction quality, but I couldn't find anything like it at the time by a US manufacturer, and this one has passed the test of working and working just fine.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I ended up making the Wave + my "garage" multi-tool and got a Charge + for my "inside the house" multi-tool.
I passed on the Charge + TTI due to the crimper being on the plier head instead of under it like on the regular Charge + which I liked much better.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
The Leatherman ratchet driver attachment is back in stock so I just ordered mine.
Please post a review of the ratchet driver once you have had it a while. I’ve been wondering how much I’d use one, but they definitely look useful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Please post a review of the ratchet driver once you have had it a while. I’ve been wondering how much I’d use one, but they definitely look useful. Thanks!
I will. I read a bunch of reviews from others myself before I purchased it.
The overwhelming majority really liked it, but also thought it was overpriced. If you have the standard bit extender already it will pretty much make that one obsolete. It also wouldn’t be too hard to make your own if you wanted to try that. It’s obviously bulkier than the standard bit extender so I’ll be curious to see how well I can make it fit into the sheath with all the other accessories. I still can’t figure out why Leatherman doesn’t make a sheath to fit all the bit cards, but like others I just put the most used bits on one bit card since one is all that will fit into the Leatherman sheath.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just read 2 things about this bit driver that don’t sound good.
1) It is not made in the USA; it is made in Taiwan.
2) It does not have the regular 25-year Leatherman warranty; it it warranted for only 2 years.
Oh well...It’s already ordered now so I’ll see if it is a decent product; or overpriced junk.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If anyone is interested in adding a little more utility to their Leatherman multi-tool and you have either the bit extension and/or the ratchet driver extension this little socket set will work and it's only $5.00 at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Finally got the ratchet driver today and I would rate it about 7 out of 10.
Good points: 1) Looks good. 2) Operates well 3) Fits well in either of the elastic compartments on the sides of the sheath without sticking out. 4) Bit slot is magnetic.
Bad Points: 1) Overpriced a $38.00 (with tax and shipping included) 2) Only a 2-year warranty. 3) Doesn’t feel very robust; I get the feeling it would break without much more than an average amount of torque put on it.
I think if you don’t mind doing just a little grinding or Dremeling on a similar budget ratchet driver like you can get at Harbor Freight that you would have something just as good for less than half the price. You’d just have to flatten 2 sides of the hex portion to make it fit into the Leatherman bit driver slot. Overall a decent accessory, but not up to the high quality of the Leatherman multi-tool itself.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Finally got the ratchet driver today and I would rate it about 7 out of 10.
Good points: 1) Looks good. 2) Operates well 3) Fits well in either of the elastic compartments on the sides of the sheath without sticking out. 4) Bit slot is magnetic.
Bad Points: 1) Overpriced a $38.00 (with tax and shipping included) 2) Only a 2-year warranty. 3) Doesn’t feel very robust; I get the feeling it would break without much more than an average amount of torque put on it.
I think if you don’t mind doing just a little grinding or Dremeling on a similar budget ratchet driver like you can get at Harbor Freight that you would have something just as good for less than half the price. You’d just have to flatten 2 sides of the hex portion to make it fit into the Leatherman bit driver slot. Overall a decent accessory, but not up to the high quality of the Leatherman multi-tool itself. View attachment 244712
You just have to remember these types things are made for a quick out of pocket fix. Probably not even permanent.
Not something that will even remotely replace a proper tool set. Still it should fix a reel, or camp stove in a pinch, and get you home.

Reactions: Bayou and j102

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I see your point. I guess if you really have to put some muscle on a screw or bolt you can always just use the non-ratcheting extender, or no extender at all. The point I was trying to make is that if you are using it, it would the weakest link and the first thing to break if you put too much torque on something.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I see your point. I guess if you really have to put some muscle on a screw or bolt you can always just use the non-ratcheting extender, or no extender at all.
You as in we, y'all, you uns, everyone, youz guyz, and such. Putting "muscle" is the last thing these sorts of things are made to do. They will get you out of a bind if you use it that way. If not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well you may find yourself in a mess. LOL
Happy exploring

·
Registered
567 Posts
The Charge + that I have is not that fragile at all. It’s done everything I’ve ever expected of it. The last time I used it was to assemble a new propane grill.
I think you hit this nail on the head with "expectations". You are more adventurous than I. I just put one together a few weeks ago. Screw driver, 15-20 screws, and two nuts was it. Everything else was assembled and ready to piece together.
My hands wouldn't hold up to much of a manual screw driver these days, though. Thank goodness for electric and air tools.

Reactions: j102

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Any more accessories and I’ll need a separate small tool box to carry it all in. I realize that it defeats the whole purpose of an easy to carry EDC multi-tool; I got a little carried away
I like it!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts