Glock Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Gen 3 G19 Shooter
2,310 Posts
I have a Leatherman MUT and Sidekick.

The MUT is in my range bag (much too large for EDC, IMHO). It's a stout tool with lots of AR and gun specific tools and uses.
The Sidekick is my EDC pocket tool thanks to its pocket clip as well as the knife and scissors than can be deployed without opening the tool.

The Wave will probably be my next Leatherman...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have many but my go to and EDC is Leatherman 300 I've had it for years but takes a lot of usage and keeps on giving

·
Super Moderator
72,329 Posts
I just ordered the Leatherman Surge. I had the wave and love it but it was stolen a couple of years ago. Thought I would go a little bigger this time.

·
Super Moderator
72,329 Posts
My Leatherman Surge just arrived. Woo hoo, I'm excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Looking for input if any members have neutered their multi-tool to be able to keep it TSA friendly. I lost one recent because it had a blade less than 1", pissed me off to no end because it had a decent, though also small sized, scissors.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to sacrifice the blade. So far nothing on line leads me to an easy solution.

The official reply from Leatherman when I asked if I could pay to have them remove the blade and install a shim/spacer of the correct size: "can't/won't do it". I offered to sign any form they required to release them of the warranty but they wouldn't budge.

I'm now at the point of having a buddy grind away as much of the blade as possible, but not knowing the specs of the metal, would this generate a corrosion issue with the cut exposing the internals which may or may not have the same resistance as the surface??? Or I could ask another buddy to create a Derlin disc of the correct size to replace the blade outright.

I want to travel with my MT, not a blade.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Looking for input if any members have neutered their multi-tool to be able to keep it TSA friendly. I lost one recent because it had a blade less than 1", pissed me off to no end because it had a decent, though also small sized, scissors.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to sacrifice the blade. So far nothing on line leads me to an easy solution.

The official reply from Leatherman when I asked if I could pay to have them remove the blade and install a shim/spacer of the correct size: "can't/won't do it". I offered to sign any form they required to release them of the warranty but they wouldn't budge.

I'm now at the point of having a buddy grind away as much of the blade as possible, but not knowing the specs of the metal, would this generate a corrosion issue with the cut exposing the internals which may or may not have the same resistance as the surface??? Or I could ask another buddy to create a Derlin disc of the correct size to replace the blade outright.

I want to travel with my MT, not a blade.
TSA has a Facebook messenger page. You can take a pic. Then they will tell you if it’s approved. Then take screenshot of the answer if yes as a double back up. I travel with the leatherman tread lt.

IMG_1573413467.974675.jpg

IMG_1573413495.317361.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
I can take a 4" set of scissors (even pointed!), but not a 1" folding blade.

At least the supervisor was kind enough to agree to destroy the tool to prevent somebody from taking home a item at my cost. I have a couple very nice MTs, but each has a blade. I don't need the blade as much as the dedicated tool itself for the other components.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
A TSA friendly MT that has some quality tools installed should be easy. Almost lost my Leatherman MUT due to ignorance before an intelligent agent agreed to step aside with me and look on line at the installed tools as well as the TSA approved items list.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I can take a 4" set of scissors (even pointed!), but not a 1" folding blade.

At least the supervisor was kind enough to agree to destroy the tool to prevent somebody from taking home a item at my cost. I have a couple very nice MTs, but each has a blade. I don't need the blade as much as the dedicated tool itself for the other components.
They make a kids multi tool with removable blade.

https://www.leatherman.com/leap-358...Yup2DKoKv28NFeLZi7NyKyKA-_ltu4dxoCABkQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I still have the same Leatherman I’ve had for years that I got as a gift. Don’t really use it that much, but it does come in handy sometimes and does what I need it to do.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I still have the same Leatherman I’ve had for years that I got as a gift. Don’t really use it that much, but it does come in handy sometimes and does what I need it to do.
I use a leatherman at least 2-3x during my average work day. I use the signal currently. It has some of the things I used on the mut eod, but is much lighter.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Been carrying a Leatherman Skelatool for about a year. It doesn't have the tools my old Gerber has, but it has enough for most daily chores plus the smaller size and pocket clip make it a much easier more convenient EDC.

Reactions: Lucian_253

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Been carrying a Leatherman Skelatool for about a year. It doesn't have the tools my old Gerber has, but it has enough for most daily chores plus the smaller size and pocket clip make it a much easier more convenient EDC.
Skeletool has been one of my favorite edc multitools for edc also!!

IMG_1573481835.982311.jpg

·
Super Moderator
72,329 Posts
I have the Leatherman Surge that I keep in the truck door for emergencies. I has come in handy many times. It's a little big for edc though.

zzzzzzzzz.jpg

21 - 40 of 79 Posts