Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by jsimion423, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

Just picked up a beautiful Mosin Nagant today for $119. It's finish is just flawless. Came with all the tools, sling, ammo pouches and oil can. After spending 2 hours cleaning all the components I shot 60 rounds through it and the bolt was flawless. I'll add some pics soon. What's everyone's thoughts on yours if you own one?

2. Even tho I haven't shot mine yet I still love them. I have a 1932 Russian PU hex sniper with all matching number and a 1945 Russian M44 carbine will all matching numbers except the bolt. Awesome firearms for the price.

DSCF0001.jpg

3. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

Just a few pics

Attached Files:

4. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love mine! M44 is beast. Here's a short video of me shooting it. Watch the beautiful fireball. One of these days I'm going at dusk.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFO976AAIA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

5. droopieG30

droopieG30 New Member

I'd recommend getting a muzzle break. I put one on mine and it made a serious difference on the recoil.

6. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

What are you waiting for? ;)

D

7. dwcfastrice

8. To stock pile a good amount of non-corrosive ammo. ;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  9. dwcfastrice

HAHAHAHa. I'd love that. But for me, it's wishful thinking. AT over $21.00 a box, even the Tula steel case stuff is $$$$. my LGS has Remington brass case- $37 for 20 rounds. I'll save that for shooting matches. I'll practice with surplus.

The only thing nice about non-corro ammo is you don't have to clean right away.

Other than that, corrosive ammo is no big deal. At approx $150 (with shipping) for 880 rounds (2 spam cans in wood crate with can opener), corrosive ammo is a bargain.

Cleaning corrosive is not the chore people make it out to be.

#1. Shoot till hot
    #2. Spray chamber, trigger group, bolt, and bore liberally with windex
    #3. Rinse with super hot water. Hot water evaporates faster (hence getting the rifle nice and hot helps, as well).
    #4. Spray with WD-40 to "displace" any water
    #5. Clean with Hoppes #9- specifically states it nuetralizes corrosive salts (it's been around since corrosive ammo was common).
    #6. Oil with rem-oil or something similar.

I clean at the range when I'm done shooting. Takes me 15 min tops.

Some of the "old timers" I shoot with tell me stories of how, in the military, they used to take their old wood stock rifles into the showers with them. Super hot water, rinse out the salts and powder, clean, oil, and then white glove inspection.

D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

10. Now that is getting really personal with your firearm. lol

11. dwcfastrice

Gives whole new meaning to "this is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun". EH? ;)

D

12. SteveC

SteveC New Member

I'm a Mosin fan as well. Two 91/30s ('38 Tula and '43 Izzy) and M44. Every time I take one out, though, I want to watch Enemy at the Gates again lol.

Attached Files:

13. dwcfastrice

38 Tula? Nice!

Mosin... Right now theyre the best value in firearms. Cant beat an average price of $400 for a rifle and 880 rounds that will punch through steel plate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  14. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I just need to go out and buy one and stop putting it off

15. henerey

henerey New Member

Some of you might know what this is ;)

ForumRunner_20120725_231028.jpg

16. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Me too.
    Why are they so inexpensive?

17. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

That makes 2 of us

18. glocknloaded

There's so.... Many of them stock piled

19. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Gotcha, that makes sense. Where is the best place to buy one?

20. glocknloaded

None of my local LGS carries them for some reason but Big 5 usually has them