Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing alot of these for sale and thought about buying one just cuz...... why not? I know nothing about em so any info would be great!

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
xxlrg said:
Been seeing alot of these for sale and thought about buying one just cuz...... why not? I know nothing about em so any info would be great!
While I do not personally own one, I have several friends who do and I shoot them often. Great gun!!! Cant go wrong with it!!!!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Check this out!! These are really cool guns and you can find them for a great price!!

http://mosinnagant.net/

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,464 Posts
If you are thinking about getting one I'd get one now. Time to time a certain surplus firearm will flood the market and go cheap. Eventually the supply will dry up and prices will rise. M1 carbines and ammo used to be cheap 25 years ago as well as other WW2 arms. In the 90's SKS's were as cheap as $80 each. Walther P-38's from Russia are still around pretty cheap along with other Warsaw pact arms. Once they're gone they're going to be gone. I've traded or sold off some surplus guns at the going rate at the time only to see them double and even triple in price. I shake my head everytime I go to a gun show and see those guns and what they sell for now.
PS. If you buy a surplus arm stock up on ammo.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Very cool rifles, killer history factor. Simpler than dirt, built for soldiers whose idea of technology is a pitchfork. Plenty of inexpensive military surplus ammo around, but corrosive as hell so clean the barrel quick and do not let that crap sit in there for long. When you get one, get some mineral spirits and be prepared to spend a fair amount of time cleaning out the cosmoline. If you want to refinish the stock, use dry heat to sweat cosmoline out of the stock or the finish might not take. Take the bolt completely apart and get all the cosmoline out of it, then oil lightly to avoid sticky bolt. Think about a butt pad 'cause they got a healthy kick. Watch Enemy at the Gates before you take it out to shoot it - this will add to the experience. They tend to shoot high under 200 yards. Shooting them is a "physical" experience but a lot of fun. Here's a pic of mine - M44 carbine, '43 Izzy, and '37 Tula.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Royale : that post rocks!

Also: 7.62x54r.net for lots of info

·
Registered
88 Posts
Awesome rifle. It shoots awesome, especially for being covered in grease for the last 60+ years. At around 100 bucks, why not? Ammo is dirt cheap too. 880 rounds for 140 bucks online.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,464 Posts
SteveC nice rifles. Did you ever use BrakeKleen to get rid of the cosmoline? That's what I used on my SKS, outside of the house spraying all the gook out of the gun. Pretty quick and painless.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I love mine. I'm in the process of turning a 1942 (non matching) Izzy into a more "modern" gun (commonly referred to by collectors as "bubba-ing", but those guys can eat my shorts) and a M38 (forget the year).
For the price- you can't go wrong. 880 rounds cost about $150 shipped to your door. There's a growing aftermarket for Mosins, as well (ATI, JMeck, BrassStacker, etc.).

They are a hoot and a half to shoot. Especially the carbine versions like the M53, M38, and the M44. If you can shoot these at dusk or at night, the flame is AWESOME.

Looking to purchase another non-matching to turn into an Obrez, an M53 (Chinese), and looking to get a reasonable priced, matching 91/30 to leave stock. As mentioned before, the historic factor is awesome. Mosins have seen action from Europe to Asia (China, Korea, Vietnam, etc.).

My buddy bought an M44 a couple of years ago for $65.00. He's taken it to a few dealers and they have offered him over $300 for it. :eek: Hard to find M44's for less than $200 asking price now. Talk about a good investment.

If you do get one (I might recommend Eagle Arms in Pennsylvania), definitely clean the cosmo out of it. Sticky bolt occurs when there's dried cosmo in chamber. most normal cosmo removal methods won't get that out. Take a chamber brush, put it on a short cleaning rod extension and chuck that on a drill. Fire about 15 rounds through in rapid succession and dip the brush in Hoppes or Purple Power/Simple Green and run the brush through on the drill. Works great. I've used this method on my 2 Mosins and several other mosins that my friends own.

You definitely can't go wrong with one of these.

D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet! Thanks for all the info and links. I am gonna really start comparing the ones in the local shops and pick one up.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
..........My buddy bought an M44 a couple of years ago for $65.00. He's taken it to a few dealers and they have offered him over $300 for it. :eek: Hard to find M44's for less than $200 asking price now. Talk about a good investment......
Wow, I got my M44 for 150 here a few months ago! So mosin are slowly going up in price? Or just that model?

·
Registered
32 Posts
SteveC nice rifles. Did you ever use BrakeKleen to get rid of the cosmoline? That's what I used on my SKS, outside of the house spraying all the gook out of the gun. Pretty quick and painless.
+1 on that. Brings back memories; Gun Show + $75 in my pocket, meant spending the afternoon outside with a new SKS and a can of brakekleen. It also meant spending the night on the couch! Worth it!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Wow, I got my M44 for 150 here a few months ago! So mosin are slowly going up in price? Or just that model?
Just the M44's. Good condition, matching M44's with accessories fetch over $200 at gun shows, IF you can find them. Last big gun show I was at (over 1000 tables- total- not of M44's), I couldn't find any M44's for under $300. I'd say you got a KILLER deal.

Fewer carbine versions were produced AND people really want them for the fireball. :D

I'm still seeing some online but if they're around $200- after shipping and then FFL fees, they're getting up there.

The T53 (Chinese) M44's are starting to get that way too.

D

·
Registered
152 Posts
150 for a m44 is amazing if you can find one for under 300 you might want to grab it if for nothing else then an investment. Was it an all matching number m44

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
150 for a m44 is amazing if you can find one for under 300 you might want to grab it if for nothing else then an investment. Was it an all matching number m44
The only number that doesn't match is on the bolt. Other then that it is all matching numbers with the bayonet. Its a 1945 Russain made. It's a little beat up on the stock.

Wood Gun barrel Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

My prize an joy is the top one that is a 1932 Hex sniper w/scope and all matching numbers, made in Russia.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Dude nice yea I would have scooped that right up ...both of them
Thanks, that why I did get both of them for 690 out the door. Had to pay shipping and taxes and all the good stuff all so. Funny thing was I was only there for a regular 19/30 and walked out with these. :D

1 - 20 of 97 Posts