Mosin Nagant 91/30- "The Black Bear"

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dwcfastrice, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

The Mosin Nagant 91/30 customization project is finally over.....

Introducing... the Mosin Nagant 91/30 "Black Bear":
    (Apologies ahead of time for the crappy cell phone pics. Will use a real camera later)
    [​IMG]

I took a non-matching serial Mosin Nagan 91/30 and mounted it in an ATI Monte Carlo Stock and free floated the barrel.

Then, had a gunsmith chop off 6" off the barrel, thread it and install a recoil Surpressor (muzzle brake) from JP Enterprises.

[​IMG]

Originally, I had the JMeck scope mount installed, but we couldn't get the front sight re-installed with the Brass Stacker front sight ring because the muzzle brake was too tall.

So we installed the ATI scope mount (drilled and tapped receiver) and bent bolt kit since my current bent bolt would not clear the scope. I'm not a fan of the ATI bolt kit as it's just screwed in. Just 21 shots I took today loosened the screw and the handle despite the gunsmith claiming these were "the best" and putting epoxy on it so it will "never move". I called BS on him, but he insisted. I will need to get someone to put a couple of tack welds on it.

[​IMG]

Also installed a Kydex cheek riser to compensate for the taller scope placement.

[​IMG]

Sighted it in at 50 yds today. Will sight at 100 yds tomorrow. Final four shots are the top target.
    [​IMG]

The rifle is pretty accurate. This is about 10 shots in to the sighting exersize:
    [​IMG]

This thing is a HOOT.

D :D:D:D:D

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

That looks sweet!

3. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Man that's one crazy Mosin great job!!!

4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Holy muzzlebrake!!
    Does it have it's own zipcode?
    How does it shoot, recoil?

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Dude, that is a sweet looking gun! I want to get a Mosin to trick out (not quite this much) but I want to use it for a hunting rifle.

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

You have a rifle sticking out of your muzzle brake.

7. Looks good. I love the Mosin, such a fun rifle to shoot.

8. Awesome! As far as your ATI bolt kit screwed in problems I would look into using red lock tight. That screw will never come out then or blue lock tight if you ever think you would need to remove the screw.

9. dwcfastrice

Thnks. The gunsmith used red ANd expoxied the handle to the bolt.

I was able to take it apart twice so I'm going to get it tack welded.

D

10. He used red lock tight and it still came loose? Wow! lol When you use that stuff on car bolts it is damn near imposable to break it loose. Yup sounds like welded is going to be the only thing that will work then.

11. dwcfastrice

Yeah... The only thing I can guess is the heat.

Other than that, went through 100 rounds today and the trigger job I did seems to be binding up so I'll reverse that. Other than that shoots well at 100.

D

12. dwcfastrice

So i performed "Emergency surgery" on the Black Bear Saturday night.
    [​IMG]

I put in heat resitant loc-tite on the base (to receiver) screws and then noticed that the scope had moved in the mounts. So I repositioned the scope, reloc-tited everything and cranked it all down.

Sunday, took 20 shots to find paper. Got it in paper, started to get go and then..... scope started moving inside the rings again. So it looks like i'll have to find another set of rings that might do better. Maybe a 4 screw set.

To be continued.....

d

13. That's probably the hardest part of customizing a Mosin...finding a scope and ring set that will handle the tremendous power of the weapon. I have yet to put a scope on any of mine (have a 91/30 and a M44) though I do want to play around with the 91/30 and see what she can become. Good luck with yours and keep us posted!

14. dwcfastrice

Thanks.

I'm not into the scout scope thing as LER scope don't seem to have the magnifications I want.
    Looked at those already and ended up going with the JMeck mount which is also a see through mount.

I had a brassstacker front sight adapter (i'm sending that back today) to use after the barrel was cut down. But it turns out that the muzzle brake is taller than the front sight so it would be unusable anyway. So I ended up telling the smith to go ahead and use a drill and tap mount. Little did I know, he would use the ATI POS KIT.

I may still go back to Jmeck mount as it allows for irons AND a non-LER scope if this ATI mount bugs me enough. The mount isn't the issue now, it's the rings.

I'm going to talk to the guys at the LGS today and see what the recommend for larger caliber hunting rifles or even a slug gun. The rings for those should be able to hold on to the scope.

I'll keep updating this thread with the progress.

D

15. Thanks for the heads up on the JMeck mount!! That looks better then the ones I linked you to. I need to get another mosin nagant before I start going the route you did. The two I got are to good to tear apart. Im thinking about getting another sniper 91/30 with the bolt handle pointing down from the factory so I can by pass the ATI bolt handle mounting.

That is an idea!! Ever thought about swapping out the bolt for a factory sniper bolt?
    i33m4ages.jpeg

I just got done watching Sniper 2 and he has a mosin nagant with a really powerful scope some how attach to it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  16. dwcfastrice

I know what you mean. Mine was non-matching so chopping it up didn't matter to me. I"m looking for a "matching" one now. Of course, i'm still "cheap" so don't want to spend the current asking price.

If you can find a factory bent handle (I haven't found any I can trust), the bolt body swap is SUPER easy. The bolt comes apart with very minimal effort. Matter of fact, thats what I have now. I have my original bent bolt body off to the side with the current ATI mounted on another bolt body.

If you don't go with the ATI scope mount kit, then a standard bent bolt will work. Just the bent bolt i have is a no go for this ATI rail.

D

17. dwcfastrice

1 was definitley much better than 2. ;)

The 91/30 Becket has looks like it has a PU scope setup. There are some on Ebay. It attaches to the left side of the receiver and come up and over so the scope isn't resting on the rifle at all.

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOVIET-RUSS...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f13fb77d3#ht_5710wt_1396

That other guy:
    [​IMG] has a bullpup Mosin. Looks kind of like the CBRPS kit, but less "Squared off". I wonder who did the work for them?

D

18. I'll have to check out the first one then!

Do you think his was using that mount but with a different scope on it?

Yea that is why I want another mosin nagant cause I cant bring myself to take apart my 1932 hex PU sniper will all matching numbers.

The scope mount is really good in my opinion. Just wish I could put a different scope threw the mount.

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

I moved my scope a little bit further back. An with that mount you can easily use the iron sights with no problem.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  19. dwcfastrice

Man, that looks nice,.

I wouldn't touch a matching hex reciever, especially not with the PU setup on it already.

I'm sure they dropped on a different mount top if it was 2 part mount and then put a bigger scope on it.

looks good.

D