More "Infringements By the Obama Admin!

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by sgtcowboyusmc, May 29, 2012.

1. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/05/6611-atf-to-ban-military-style-shotguns-but-taking-public-comments/

[​IMG]

ATF to ban “military” style shotguns, but taking public comments

May 28, 2012 2:29 pm
    [​IMG]
    In one of the most blatant moves by the BATFE, they are now deciding on what shotguns they want to outlaw that are currently available to citizens. In a recent report from the Greeley Gazette, they announce their plans to deprive the American people of our right to bear shotguns with certain features. As if the words, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” have no meaning, the BATFE is now taking the “law” into their own hands, without consent of “We the People”. Jack Minor of the Greeley Gazette reports:​
    The ATF completed a study regarding the importability of certain shotguns. The basis for a possible ban is based on a loosely defined “Sporting Purpose” test. Using the vague definition almost all pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns could be banned as they are all capable of accepting a magazine, box or tube capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Other characteristics determined to be “military” by the ATF can also be used as a basis for a ban.”
    These types of shotguns are in millions of homes across America. Not only will this severely erode our natural-born liberties to bear arms; now, criminals will know your out after five blasts from the bedroom hallway, creating a victim zone in your own home.
    Then again, the BATFE seems to be a merciful tyrant, and “allowing public comments prior to issuing a decision”, as if our opinion actually means something to them. The part I’m confused about is, who gave them the power to pick and choose which guns are “lawful”? What part about “shall not be infringed” do they not understand?
    Thank goodness, someone has decided to come forward, as the article says:
    Dudley Brown, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, said if the ATF succeeds with the banning of tactical shotguns it “will be the most dangerous interpretation of the 1968 Gun Control Act ever envisioned and will outlaw thousands of perfectly legitimate home defense shotguns.”
    So, if you would like to let the folks at the BATFE know what you think, then please send them an email here: [email protected]

2. gen4fde

gen4fde New Member

This is absolutely crazy! How did we let it go this far?

3. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Why don't they focus on the release of felons who are repeat offenders. Or maybe the real bad guys out there on the streets?

Leave all of us alone. I'm so sick of this crap. Every day we wake up it's like we're missing a little bit of our rights!

4. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Dont forget to vote!!

5. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

6. Danzig

Danzig Glockin’ since 1993 Supporter

Texas
    This has happened before. The Saiga AK based shotgun is the primary target along with "evil" looking semi auto shotguns like the new Turkish MKA 1919 shotgun.
    I wondered why these guns were not being targeted by the BATFE after the banning of similar shotguns like the Stryker 12, Streetsweeper and Franchi USAS-12 were reclassified as Destructive Devices under NFA control in the early 1990's.
    These are the guns that keep political bureaucrats up at night as they have "no legitimate sporting purpose"
    As we all know if you are on this Forum the Second Amendment isn't about "sporting purpose".
    Early last year this ban was rumored to go in effect but didn't happen. I am wary of this being another rumor but have no doubt it will be implemented if Obama wins another term.

7. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

This is a bummer. Probably more election year shenanigans, the shotgun study at atf.gov is pretty weird & creepy. It's probably just a stealth poll for Obama, but just the same, it makes me feel like I need a lawyer present. I really don't want to get into an email relationship with the ATF. What if they Banned Me?

And, I was just getting ready to shop around for a Mossberg 590A1. Every time news like this hits the streets there is a run on the bank, & the prices go up.

Anyway, Just Poop

8. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Eventually thats whats gonna happen

9. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I saw this earlier on Facebook. If you go to that article and then click on the source article, you'll see it's from April 2011. This is old and long since done.

"In a recent report from the Greeley Gazette, they announce their plans to deprive the American people of our right to bear shotguns with certain features."

"Recent". Right. 13 1/2 months is recent? Whoever runs this sight and/or wrote this article is a moron.

10. Matthias312

Matthias312 New Member

11. Matthias312

Matthias312 New Member

Fingers to big for iPhone buttons. "Assault" shotgun...

12. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

good thing i picked up the mossberg 590 last month.

13. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

14. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

15. Matthias312

Matthias312 New Member

Yep...got me all riled up...should have read further...glad this didn't happen...hope we staved off this round of "Snatch the citizenry's Guns"...going to keep stocking ammo and buying tactical guns when I can...hope I never need to use them...but would rather have them then not if SHTF...

16. Whenever you see an article stating that a federal agency (any agency) is planning on banning something, keep this in mind: they don't have the authority to change national policy, only congress does.

17. Danzig

Danzig Glockin’ since 1993 Supporter

Texas
    Doesn't the BATFE have the authority to classify weapons? Didn't they reclassify the street sweeper, Stryker 12 and the USAS 12 as Destructive Devices because they had "no sporting purpose use"?

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Many agencies, which fall under the executive branch, have a lot of authority to change national policies and they do so at the direction of the President.

Congress can overturn these changes, but they must take positive action to do so, even if that action is a just a very vocal opposition with indication that they will take the necessary action.

They can also defund the particular offices/programs that make these changes; that's a common move.

BATFE can make all sorts of changes without Congressional approval. They can change the classification of weapons, as they attempted to in this case, change reporting requirements, as they have (or tried to) along the border with a requirement of FFLs to report multiple long gun sales, etc.

There have been attempts to ban shooting on Federal lands. That was stopped because of public outcry. There are plenty of examples of what Federal agencies can do.