Modifying the Recon 1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mike P, May 17, 2012.

1. I wish there was a "gear" section here, anyway.......

Just got my Recon 1 the other day and the only thing I found negative about the knife is what most others find negative. The tight Cold Steel clip mixed with the aggressive G10 handle. The combination of the two does make it harder than it needs to be to easily put it in your pocket or for quick deployment. So I did as a lot of G10 knife handle owners do and modified the handle.

[​IMG]

I'm not 100% finished with it yet. This was accomplished in 5 minutes of spare time at work. I plan on going back and using 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet paper then polish with some Meguiars plast-X polish to achieve a super slick finish where I removed the G10. Just doing this made it a whole other knife as far as feel when putting it in the pocket or removing it.

Now I don't have to worry about shredding the pockets on my jeans.:cool:

2. Almost got it where I want it. Decided to go a tad wider on the area of removed material.

[​IMG]

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I really like that knife! How much did you say it costs?

4. Currently, $74 shipped. I like it so much I'm going to order myself the matching 3" mini and the 2"micro.

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I have bonus coming EOM, i'll get with you. THANKS Mike

6. Nice work man... so... the next question is... how much to do that for a customers knife?

7. Hmm, I dont know. Never thought about it. Plus that opens a whole can of worms for possible issues.