Glock Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt that I am the first person to think of this, but ...

The "new" model 40 is a long slide 10 mm, with a barrel length of 6.02 inches.
Models 24 and 17L also have 6.02" barrels.
Since they are both would have a .40" inside diameter, the model 40's barrel can be the same as the model 24's barrel, with the exception of the chamber.

The model 40 is supposed to have a narrower slide than the standard model 20, like the model 41 vs. model 21’s slide.
The model 40's slide looks like the model 24's slide, without the cutouts.

So, the model 40 is the top half (slide/barrel) of the model 24/17L mated to the bottom half (frame) of the model 20.

Similarly, the model 41 is the slide and 5.31" barrel of a model 35/34 on the frame of the model 21.

Not only is the model 41's barrel 5.31”, but it is known to be thinner walled than the standard 21 barrel.
That would happen if Glock takes a .40 S&W model 35 barrel and reams it out to .45 ACP (.451”).

The .45 ACP round is a low pressure round, so I am not too concerned about Glock reaming out a .40 barrel to make a .45 barrel.
The 10 mm round is NOT a low pressure round. Can full power 10 mm rounds (= .41 magnum) be safely shot out of what is essentially a 9mm/.40 S&W barrel?

Fundamentally though:
- Why is Glock so lazy and/or cheap that they can't do it "right" and simply lengthen the model 20's slide and barrel to make the model 40?
- Why do such similar half-assed job creating the model 41, out of the model 35/34? Just so it would fit in the IDPA box?
- Why didn’t Glock just make a lengthened slide that could be used for both the model 40 and 41?
- Why not manufacture a single 6.02 long barrel and finish it two ways - with a .451 and .40/10 mm inside diameter? (Glock already makes a 6” hunting barrel in 10 mm for the model 20.)

I love the custom long slide 20/21's that forum members have created. I was REALLY EXCITED when the model 41 and 40 were announced. Both times, I have been very disappointed that the models were not done right, but rather done as cheaply as possible by cannibalizing parts from other existing Glock models.

I guess I will just buy a Gen 4 Model 21.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I doubt that I am the first person to think of this, but ...

The "new" model 40 is a long slide 10 mm, with a barrel length of 6.02 inches.
Models 24 and 17L also have 6.02" barrels.
Since they are both would have a .40" inside diameter, the model 40's barrel can be the same as the model 24's barrel, with the exception of the chamber.

The model 40 is supposed to have a narrower slide than the standard model 20, like the model 41 vs. model 21’s slide.
The model 40's slide looks like the model 24's slide, without the cutouts.

So, the model 40 is the top half (slide/barrel) of the model 24/17L mated to the bottom half (frame) of the model 20.

Similarly, the model 41 is the slide and 5.31" barrel of a model 35/34 on the frame of the model 21.

Not only is the model 41's barrel 5.31”, but it is known to be thinner walled than the standard 21 barrel.
That would happen if Glock takes a .40 S&W model 35 barrel and reams it out to .45 ACP (.451”).

The .45 ACP round is a low pressure round, so I am not too concerned about Glock reaming out a .40 barrel to make a .45 barrel.
The 10 mm round is NOT a low pressure round. Can full power 10 mm rounds (= .41 magnum) be safely shot out of what is essentially a 9mm/.40 S&W barrel?

Fundamentally though:
- Why is Glock so lazy and/or cheap that they can't do it "right" and simply lengthen the model 20's slide and barrel to make the model 40?
- Why do such similar half-assed job creating the model 41, out of the model 35/34? Just so it would fit in the IDPA box?
- Why didn’t Glock just make a lengthened slide that could be used for both the model 40 and 41?
- Why not manufacture a single 6.02 long barrel and finish it two ways - with a .451 and .40/10 mm inside diameter? (Glock already makes a 6” hunting barrel in 10 mm for the model 20.)

I love the custom long slide 20/21's that forum members have created. I was REALLY EXCITED when the model 41 and 40 were announced. Both times, I have been very disappointed that the models were not done right, but rather done as cheaply as possible by cannibalizing parts from other existing Glock models.

I guess I will just buy a Gen 4 Model 21.
I doubt the G40 slide is exactly the same as the G24L (except with MOS of course). The G20/21 slides are longer than a G17/22 for instance to accommodate a longer ejection port for a longer case.

Lazier/cheaper method would probably have been to simply lengthen the G20 slide to be used with the 6.02 barrel. Instead it looks like they worked on balancing it properly & not making it overly muzzle heavy. As they did it, it is less than an ounce heavier than the G20 & probably extremely well balanced, but just a guess since I haven't handled one yet only watched videos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts