Missing intelligence that lead to enemy attacks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SquadCapt4, May 29, 2012.

1. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

This Memorial Day weekend, I watched a few documentaries on war. A couple were about the Pearl Harbor attack and a couple were on Sept. 11, 01. The intelligence and other evidence that was received and either missed or dismissed as unimportant in both tragedies is incredible. I'm left scratching my head. Wondering how this, the greatest Nation on this planet, with the resources we have at our disposal, can miss such vital information still in this day and age. Thinking of how different the scenarios could have played out, and how the outcomes could have been so much better had the powers that be paid more attention to detail just boggles my mind. I hate to sound like a hawk here, but I think we coddle our adversaries a bit too much and over use diplomatic tactics when it is obvious that an attack is looming.
    I guess George Santayana's old adage is true. "Those that cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". The problem is, the folks that apparently cannot remember the past are the decision makers that are suppose to protect us from our enemies.

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I guess George Santayana's old adage is true. "Those that cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". The problem is, the folks that apparently cannot remember the past are the decision makers that are suppose to protect us from our enemies.
    So true Squadcapt4!! So true!! We really need some new people on the watch!!

3. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I once tried to give info about drone aircrafts and a production facility in the middle east and was ignored by everyone I tried to tell... :/

4. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

It probably comes about because the powers that be are too busy trying to figure out how to manipulate our laws that they don't have time to worry about what that paper the aide just handed them is about..

5. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

As a 12 yr Intel Officer, i can list many reasons why. The two biggest though causing missed intel: No cross-communication between intel organizations, and ego's.....

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I concur. There is a bureaucratic base system at work in all parts of our Government. At Company Grade, & rising through Field Grade in the Military, the bureaucracy is at it's thinnest. But from Field Grade upwards through Division it begins to become denser, and continues that way all the way up the chain of command to the top. And the top is purely political in every aspect.

It is the nature of a bureaucracy to move information very efficiently from the top to the bottom, command orders are a good example. Intelligence gathered at the Company Grade at the bottom, does not flow upward very well at all. I don't really think anything has changed since 9/11.

When a bureaucracy fails it's obligation, it always attempts to expand it's size & scope to compensate.

I honestly don't know how much more we can take. The cost is too dear.

7. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Sadly enough, this is true on all levels. Seems like everybody wants to be the ONE to catch the bad guy so they hold their cards close to their chests. No information sharing that could save thousands....all for the sake of ego. I hate to trivialize the seriousness of the problem, but it reminds me so much of the MASH episode where CIA Col. Flagg and Army Intelligence Capt. Pratt were in camp spying on each other. Trying to get the drop on the other.
    Locally, our LEO's have realized how counterproductive this nonsense is and are forming "joint" task forces do deal with various crimes. I still wonder if these inter-working groups still withhold intel from each other. I'm sure it still happens.