Misfire

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by firsttimer, Feb 26, 2012.

1. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

Writing this post for some advice. My brand new 20SF had a problem right out of the box. 2 misfires in the first 50 rounds (First was on round 6). Then a couple of weeks later, after 100 or so more rounds, another misfire with a different type of ammo. I did send the pistol back to Glock, to straighten it out, and waiting for its return. My experience with most repairs on products with intermittent malfunctions is that I will again see the problem sometime in the future, as intermittent malfunctions are not easily diagnosed and repaired, so I will be stuck with it. Is there anything I can do to increase the reliability of this weapon? Any modifications? Or should I just trade it in if the problem persists?

2. BORIS

BORIS New Member

Wait till you get it back and shoot it.

Sounds like a typical blockage in the striker channel. Avoid oil at all costs on the slide and a drop on a qtip wiped lightly on the rails is all it will ever need, even then thats too much.

It might have grease from the factory or if you lubed it too much oil or grease could have caught a brass shaving in just the right spot

3. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

In my experience for guns returned for repair (from good manufacturers) is the pistols come back better than new. Was certainly true with my Springfield and my buddy's 1911 too. One friend of mine had an issue more than once so they replaced the pistol. (I think it was a ruger)

I'd recommend waiting to see what happens when you get it back. Give them a chance to make it right.

4. Are you sure it's the gun and not the ammo?

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum firsttimer !!

I would give Glock an opportunity to make it right...then decide from there.

I realize you got a bad taste in your mouth right now, but don't let it stop you from

enjoying that new G20...

Provide us a range report when you get her back...and relax !

6. glocksterks

glocksterks New Member

If your mis-fires are ramdom, try re-establishing your grip. I've seen shooters limp wrist and have mis-fires in competition, with various types of handguns. Yes, sorry to say, even Glocks. This generally isn't the guns fault. By maintaining the proper grip on the gun, you shouldn't have that trouble. As far as mods go, the only thing I've done, is add Decal-Grip to the frame to keep it from slipping around in my hands. I tried the Hogue rubber sleeves, but they squirm around when it hot outside. Good luck!

7. Are you sure it's even a mis-fire? {light or bad strike on primer with gun in full battery but no boom}

Was it a failure to eject?

Was it a failure to feed?

Hope it wasn't the later two because you could have sent it back for no reason. Could be operator error. Just sayin'.

More detail on the problem would help.

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Welcome to Glock Forum!

It sounds like an ammo situation to me but I don't have all the necessary information to tie the problem down. It is often hard to tell what a firearm is doing over the internet even with pictures.

It has been my experience with GLOCK that they will try their best to correct the problem you are currently dealing with AND, any others that the gun looks like it might have in the future. What I am saying is: guns can and often do sit on a distrubutors shelve for years. Upgrades can occur and the gun falls behind getting the necessary attention it deserves.

While GLOCK has your gun the will ensure all the upgrades are done and address your situation that you sent it in for to begin with.

Glocks typically eat just about any ammo. Hard primers will and do cause problems in many pistols. Without knowing what ammo (or seeing) it was I can't rule that out.

Lubing your firearm - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS provided in the Owners Manual to a "T". There are six important places to "apply a drop" of oil. Clean and do that and you'll have a friend for life in that 20SF.

And replace that recoil spring assembly about every 3 to 5 thousand rounds!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

In each case it was misfire, click, no boom, primer strikes were centered. Possibly a little light. Reloaded the same two misfired rounds and they were successfully fired. That third time I did not capture the round when manually cycling the slide, and it rolled off beyond the firing line into the range, so no additional data on that one.
    Been shooting 20 years, a 357 and a 44 mag. Thanks for all of the responses, and I will check back in when the pistol gets returned from Glock, hopefully all will be right!

10. BORIS

BORIS New Member

Was it hornady or S&B ammo? They are known to have hard primers and give all pistol brands fits sometimes.

11. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

G-23, thanks for the input not sure if these were upgrades or repairs, although the mag replacements must be upgrades. The pistol is not back with me just yet, 3 day ship for Fedex.

Information from the Glock Rep on the work that was done:
    Replaced:

Firing Pin safety & Spring
    Spacer Sleeve
    Firing Pin Spring
    (2) Magazines

I must admit, when asked, they were good about getting me the status, so that is encouraging.

I did do a lot of "research" on the web, and came to the conclusion there is quite a bit of conflicting "advice". Some owners never clean the Glock, others treat it like maintaining the space shuttle. There is a lot of blame on ammo (although my S&W 686 has never encountered "bad" ammo) but at the same time others say the Glock will eat any ammo and work like a champ. Only time and a minimum of 500 rounds without a malfunction will convince me at this point. Hoping for the best.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Are you saying you have it back now...and that's the work done listed ?!

13. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

UPDATE:

Got the 20SF back from the factory, according to the paperwork, they found nothing wrong, and the parts mentioned in the previous post, were upgrades only. Went directly to the range, ran another 150 rounds through it. The good news is, no misfires. The bad news is 3, thats right 3 FTFs in the first 30 rounds. Being that one of the "upgrades" was new magazines, I would say that at the moment, the reliability is worse now than before!

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Hornady ran good through my glocks

15. BORIS

BORIS New Member

I run S&B just fine in mine, yet some dont like their primers. Like i said sometimes...

16. Is this your first semi auto?

17. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

Had a Desert Eagle in 44 mag (made a big mistake trading that in on this Glock) and a little 25 cal Beretta.

18. It may not be BUT there is a good chance your FTF's could be limp wristing. Just sayin'

19. firsttimer

firsttimer New Member

Always a possibility, but at 5'11'' 205 and a lifetime of weight training, including twice a week grip/forearm training, its hard to believe.
    Never had the issue when firing from my weak hand, but I don't shoot as much that way, plus the Glock 20 is not exactly a cannon, its actually kinda tame and easy to stay on target using either hand or both.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  20. I still say operator error....big guy.