Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical with regular synthetic stock and I love it.
My buddy is in the market for an AR-15 and he is telling me I need to get one as well that my Mini-14 doesnt match up for personal defense.

Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What does he think is wrong with the Mini-14? I don't see the problem with using it for home defense - if you're going to use a rifle in the first place. frankly I prefer the shotgun for home defense long gun.

·
195 Posts
Well the old A-team from tv never hit anyone with their mini 14s.:rolleyes:
I always liked that rifle. Never got to shoot one but I always had to fondle the one my friend's dad owned.
Agree a shotgun makes more sense for HD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well may I make it more clear that this rifle is used for Self Defense a little more than Home Defense such as a truck gun or Bug Out gun.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well may I make it more clear that this rifle is used for Self Defense a little more than Home Defense such as a truck gun or Bug Out gun.
For what you are wanting the gun for the mini is a good gun. I do own one and I used one in my last job in Law Enforcement. I have seen the mini in action and every time the gun was properly aimed and fired it hit it's intended target... Wait there was one incident but the sights had been messed with.. :eek: I probably shouldn't be telling that one even though the Law Suits were settled long ago... I like mine but to be honest you can make an AR more accurate. I got a great price on mine and I will keep it and use it but I am also building 2 AR as we speak! I used to qualify quarterly at work with the Mini and I never got below 90% with it. I can't remember shooting less that 98% but I am sure sometime in 23 yrs I had to have at least once:D But I was on the SWAT Team and we were required to shoot at 90% or higher and I always did. That was probably way more than you wanted but don't worry what others say. If your buddy gets an AR then have him show you where it is worth the extra $$$$ to switch!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,455 Posts
AR-15's have been marketed very well and have taken over the black rifle market. Due to the modular design it can be decked out to any flavor you choose. Your Mini-14 is just as capable as an AR. Tell your buddy to kick rocks. Some people trash other people's stuff. You're never going to please those people. Even among AR enthusiasts there is a bunch of trash talk. For example; DPMS is trash, I only run Wilson Combat, the HK AR is the best AR period, You need a bull barrel for real accuracy, you need to free float your barrel and lose the factory handguard set up and you need a single/2 point/3point sling. I've heard all those things. Run what you brung.
On a side note. The last shooting session I participated in a DPMS cheapo rifle beat everyone else's AR's including my Rock River and several higher end guns.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well Said Danzig!

AR-15's have been marketed very well and have taken over the black rifle market. Due to the modular design it can be decked out to any flavor you choose. Your Mini-14 is just as capable as an AR. Tell your buddy to kick rocks. Some people trash other people's stuff. You're never going to please those people. Even among AR enthusiasts there is a bunch of trash talk. For example; DPMS is trash, I only run Wilson Combat, the HK AR is the best AR period, You need a bull barrel for real accuracy, you need to free float your barrel and lose the factory handguard set up and you need a single/2 point/3point sling. I've heard all those things. Run what you brung.
On a side note. The last shooting session I participated in a DPMS cheapo rifle beat everyone else's AR's including my Rock River and several higher end guns.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've never understood why people have such a problem with DPMS. I have one of theirs in .308 and they guarantee 1/2 MOA on the gun. If you can get a gun with the accuracy you need at 1/2 or 2/3 the price of a 'high end' gun, and customize it how you like (which, for me, none of the high end makers offered the stock or grips that I wanted anyway) and still spend less, what's the point? Even if you want a two stage trigger, you can get one from RRA for $120 or spend double that on the Geiselle, and you'll still have spent less. There's really only so much you can do to a gun. Of course, I feel the same way about $3k 1911s. I don't believe that a $3k 1911 can do anything that a lesser, upgraded, 1911 can't do for 1/2, or even less, of the cost. You might get a lot with them, but you're still paying a hefty price for the name, and the declining quality of many 'high end' gun makers demonstrates that.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I currently own a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical with regular synthetic stock and I love it.
My buddy is in the market for an AR-15 and he is telling me I need to get one as well that my Mini-14 doesnt match up for personal defense.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Just tell your Buddy to Google: Michael Platt, Miami Shootout. Michael Platt was the bank robber using the Ruger Mini-14 in .223. He also fired three shots each out of two .357 revolvers, but most of the carnage came from his use of the Mini 14. Conservative estimates say he fired a minimum of 42 rounds. Platt, himself, was killed after being shot 12 times.

The second robber, William Matix, was using a S&W M3000 .12 Ga, and fired only one round of #6. He was killed after being shot 6 times.

The event has been debated endlessly of course, on every different level imaginable. But the fact that Michael Platt took on 8 FBI agents with a Mini 14, chambered in .223, shot 6 out of the 8, killing 2 of the 6, all in less than 5 minutes, has never been in dispute.

The blame game, analysis of the events, policy changes that ensued, and the ultimate development of the .40 S&W & 10mm auto pistol cartridges, and the weapons that fire them, are all very interesting to read about & study. But what it brings to my mind, is the old CIA saying, "The Most Committed Wins".

The 8 FBI agents involved have to get the thumbs up for being "The Most Committed", because even though it was 8 against 2 bad guys, and one of the 2 was using a Ruger Mini 14, which is a great force multiplier, the Agents won the day & the gunfight.

The Ruger Mini 14 will get the job done just fine, if you know what your about, and are truly committed of course. There's always that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nutnfancy has a series of videos about the Mini 14 on youtube.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,455 Posts
In addition, the mini 14 is based on the m14 and ultimately the M1 Garand. M1 Garand being one of the best battle rifles ever fielded. Multiple police departments and dept. of corrections used the mini14 based on the proven design and it not being as militaristic looking as the AR-15.

·
Banned
654 Posts
What does he think is wrong with the Mini-14? I don't see the problem with using it for home defense - if you're going to use a rifle in the first place. frankly I prefer the shotgun for home defense long gun.
wait until you shot some robber, that will change your mind for a SG for HD. One clean up session is all you need to change it and you will never get all the brain matter out the crook and crannies

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Tape said:
wait until you shot some robber, that will change your mind for a SG for HD. One clean up session is all you need to change it and you will never get all the brain matter out the crook and crannies
That's why you have your home owners insurance take care of a arranging a remediation company for the cleanup. Who cleans up their own crime scenes anyway?

If I was a BG, I wouldn't want to get hit with either.
As a homeowner, I wouldn't want to shoot anyone with either.

But that's neither here nor there. OP.. There's nothin wrong with the Mini14 for home defense. It may not as "reflexive" as A shotgun, but, it's much better than harsh language.

·
Banned
654 Posts
That's why you have your home owners insurance take care of a arranging a remediation company for the cleanup.
yeah ok, when the smell comes back in a few weeks call your insurance co again, don't listen to someone that knows.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
yeah ok, when the smell comes back in a few weeks call your insurance co again, don't listen to someone that knows.
Yeah... You speak from personal experience? ;)

having had to do home remediation, most reputable remediation companies have a guarantee. I know most insurance company hold its recommended vendors to their guarantees or they don't get paid. The insurance company doesn't want to lose you as a valued source of guaranteed monthly income.

You do bring up a VERY GOOD point: the SMELL. Most people who are not hunters have never had to experience the smell of a "body" (animal or human) and the smell associated with it.

D

·
Registered
624 Posts
I love the mini 14. Second rifle I ever bought. (10/22 was the first) I still have it and still love it. If I didn't have other carbines more suited for defense I would not hesitate to use it for home defense. As others have said, Dept of Corrections use them. I enjoyed the youtube video too. That guy guy is always fun to watch.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I love the mini 14. Second rifle I ever bought. (10/22 was the first) I still have it and still love it. If I didn't have other carbines more suited for defense I would not hesitate to use it for home defense.

+1. Great shooter and the M-16/AR-15 platform was .223 until they switched to the 5.56x45 NATO round in the '80's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts