Mill Existing Slide or Purchase Stripped Slide?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by WagMoreBarkLess, Jan 16, 2020.

1. WagMoreBarkLess

WagMoreBarkLess New Member

Glock 17 Gen 4 owner here. Looking at adding the Trijicon RMR 3.25 or Holosun HS507C. With a standard model, would you recommend getting it milled or buying a Glock stripped slide?

2. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
    Personally I would purchase a stripped slide and have it milled, then you have 2 guns in one. I am fixing to build a P80 G17 gen 3, I already own a G17 Gen 3 with iron sights, the P80 build will have a Vortex Viper on it.

3. MWJOHNSON

SE Texas
    Also Brownell's sells a stripped slide already milled for the RMR, but you'll have to buy a blank slide for the Holosun and have it milled

4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    The Strike Industries ARK slide has multiple holes tapped in its slide cut for most every optic out there.
    6188355A-C844-4B4B-9D98-0745607EFE80.jpeg

TheTenMan and TheKraken like this.
  5. PeteK

PeteK Member

Buy a Brownells slide that is cut for the RMR. Holosun 507C will bolt right up.

MAC A Voyage and TheKraken like this.
  6. MWJOHNSON

SE Texas
    Good to know for future reference

7. NWG40

NWG40 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not entirely true. The Holosun 507c sits on a RMR footprint. So you can mount an RMR or a Holosun on the same plate. One thing I did was ordered the mounting plate from CH precision Weapon Systems. They're much better, have longer threads in the barrel nuts, & the correct screws & length. Won't have to worry about backing out or cracking.

Surfgent likes this.
  8. NWG40

I see I'm getting slow on my typing...……..

MAC A Voyage and Surfgent like this.
  9. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

That's a gen 3...think we gotta' thank P80 for all the gen 3 goodies out there.

Surfgent and Danzig like this.
  10. Surfgent

Surfgent Active Member

I'd get a aftermarket slide. There's a million options out there, cheap to.

Danzig likes this.
  11. NWG40

That would depend of a few factors. One being do you want the rear sight behind the RDS glass or in front? If it's behind then order a aftermarket slide. If in front then send in your stock slide to have them mill a spot for your RDS & rear sight. Why you say? By my read, more & more individuals that train with a RDS learn to pick up the dot in the glass than go for the guns F&R sights. They always look thru the glass for the "sight". So having the rear sight in front of the RDS glass you're still looking thru the glass but at the rear sight. It all comes down to not having to learn a second trait for sight picture. Some prefer it & some don't. If I had a stock slide instead of a MOS then I'd have it milled in front of the RDS. For me it would all be about repetition.

Surfgent likes this.
  12. TheTenMan

TheTenMan New Member

Depends on if cost is a factor or not.
    If cost is a factor then it would be cheaper to have yours cut for whatever optic you intend to run.
    If cost is no object get a second slide and you can have whatever you want done to it, including designs carved into it to truly make it your own.
    Just remember to factor in all of the parts to complete the slide if you opt for a custom stripped slide.

Surfgent likes this.
  13. TheTenMan

TheTenMan New Member

As a side note, here is a link to sights that share the same footprint in case you want to think about another sight in the future.
    While the Shield sights are primarily in a group of their own except for Leupold Delta Point Pro, they do offer adapters to fit multiple other mounting patterns.

https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

Surfgent, Danzig and NWG40 like this.
  14. NWG40

That's good info. Thanks for the link.

Surfgent and TheTenMan like this.
  15. Surfgent

Surfgent Active Member

I've bought new slides online for 100$ or so optic ready and some on ebay they work great haven't had any problems. Left more $ for a nicer optic, which I didn't spend. My last was a swap fox king slayer. Fantastic optic for the $ in my opinion. Trijicon makes some great plane Jane sights that are like 30 something dollars. There steel and the dots are bright and pronounced, everything you need and nothing you don't. Unless you're kicking down doors in the middle east or rounding up MS13 members save a few bucks and put it towards a new build or buy another gun

16. NWG40

Your absolutely right on the RDS optics. But as the saying goes.... you get what you pay for.
    It all depends on what ones intended purpose is. I chose a Holosun 507c for my G 40. I look for the features offered not the name. Could I have gone with something battle tested.....yes I could of. I would hope that the money spent on a build would merit a RDS of reputable quality.

Surfgent likes this.
  17. Surfgent

Surfgent Active Member

I think the holosun are great optics. I own a few of them

NWG40 likes this.
  18. Dave303

Dave303 New Member

The Brownells RMR cut slide fits the Holosun very well. About 300 rounds so far.
    IMG_1149small.jpg

Danzig, Surfgent and NWG40 like this.
  19. NWG40

That's a nice little set up. To have the Holosun mounted & have room for shell ejection Without interference is awesome!

Surfgent likes this.