Michigan finaly lifts it's helmet law!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dons86, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dons86

Dons86 New Member

After 21 years of riding, I rode for the first time helmetless! I've been waiting for this day for years!

2. Be safe! Put that helmet back on! I might be young but have seen too many horrible accidents with motorcycles!

3. Dons86

Dons86 New Member

Same here, but it's nice for once to have a choice, I'll def wear it on our rides, but just to run to the store or back and forth to work which is only 3 miles for me, it's nice just to hop on and go, but the biggest thing for me is that we gained the freedom of choice

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Ah yes, the freedom to choose to be stupid. Every American's right.

Just remember on those short 3 mile hops, that most accidents happen close to home, where people feel comfortable and tend to pay less attention to their surroundings and what's going on around them.

With this law, unless they followed Florida's example, expect your motorcycle insurance to go up. Florida requires riders to carry additional insurance to ride helmetless. If you have an accident without a helmet and don't have the extra insurance, the insurance company's off the hook for your injuries.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I read once that most accidents occur within 1 mile of the home.

Oh, well.

I guess that's just one more reason those vehicles are called "donor-cycles".

I wonder (and can anyone offer enlightenment for me on this), in Michigan, can the family of a brain-dead or brain-damaged bike victim sue the driver of the other car for lifetime medical expenses if the biker was at fault? In Nevada, you can't.

Just wondering....

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Next thing you know, seatbelts and airbags will become optional equipment in Michigan. :rolleyes:

7. 3L3C7R0

3L3C7R0 New Member

I hate to say it but there are to many checks and balances to protect the idiots. Lifting the helmet law allows natural selection to take affect. Wear a helmet or accept what comes to you. Michigan might be trying to get rid of the idiots. More power to them.

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I agree with this. Warning labels such as "Do not put your hand in the lawnmower blade" should be removed and just let nature take its course. We're circumventing nature lol.

9. Raptor

Raptor New Member

It's a similar explanation as to why we hunt.... to thin out the herd.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

OK, for the record, NOBODY is bashing you, Dons86, these are expressions of varying levels of disdain on the lifting the requirement for what is without a doubt a necessary safety device, a helmet.

With that being said, when the word "you" or "idiot" is used, it is NOT directed at you personally, Dons86.

This is an intelligent conversation, not a bashing fest.

Let this also serve as a warning to posters: we do not bash fellow Members. Period.

Intelligent conversation only, please.

Personally, I object to not requiring a helmet when riding a bicycle or a motorcycle, for the simple reason that life is precious and must be protected. Accidents cannot be predicted, and statistics show that in a collision, an unhelmeted motorcycle driver or rider is more likely to suffer a serious head injury versus one that wore a helmet, and while you can live without an arm or a leg or even both legs or both arms or all limbs, you cannot live without a head.

Thank you for your cooperation.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Darwinism...! Natural selection at it's best.

Nothing against the OP...

12. Dons86

Dons86 New Member

Well, it is a choice I have been given, where as I did not before, just as I have the choice to open carry a firearm in michigan

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

^^^ Like you said...your choice !!

The way it should be in a free society...without

the government making the smallest of decisions for you.

14. Dons86

Dons86 New Member

I'm pretty thick skinned guys, it's all good, not everyone has or shares the same opinions, just like I hunt, but do not believe baiting is right, although it is legal here in michigan, it's just an opinion thats all

15. I am from MI and this is a long time coming. If I am not mistaken Granholm vetoed or just wouldn't sign this bill in the past. A victory for personal freedom! Just another blow to the nanny state.

We have to be careful when we pass laws restricting freedoms regardless of our views on the position. Don't restrict liberty in the name of "safety".

16. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Well, good for you, Dons86.

Does that mean we can give you a hard time about it more? Heh-heh-heh [​IMG]

17. Dons86

Dons86 New Member

Lol! I guess I can handle some razz'n, you guy's have all gone above and beyond to help me out with my questions, and I'm still waitin on my chance to return some favors, so I guess a lil rib'n ain't too bad 'till then!

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I was just kidding, Dons86, in my last post.

A little kidding on the side is OK, but I remind others that this Forum still has Rules.

BTW, Dons86, can you put me in your will for your guns? Much appreciated, thanks! :D

19. I've been riding over 20yrs myself and have NEVER had the inclination to even think of riding with out a helmet. I just shake my head every time I see a rider w/o one.

Anyone that rides w/o needs to meet my friend Marc. He was wearing a helmet.....non DOT brain bucket{Harley rider} when a chic texting came over on top of him. Here it is two+ years later and he is STILL with out a major section of skull on the right half of his head that had to be removed to save his life. It was reinstalled once but an infection caused it to be removed again. He can't walk on his own, he's lost everything he had including his wife and kids, his disabled father takes care of his every need, he will never be independent again. He's only 37yrs old.

He was only going 22mph in morning rush hour traffic.

Makes me beyond ill even before his accident when people celebrate being able to ride w/o one or say negative things against states that have laws to wear them.

This sport of riding a motorcycle comes with acceptable risks that we are willing to take as riders. Why increase the odds of having something bad happen to you or increase the odds of putting your family through something such as a traumatic brain injury? Why?

WEAR YOUR HELMETS RIDERS!!!

off my soapbox