Glock Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear glasses for reading. I am far sighted, and can shoot a rifle, with or without a scope, without issue. However, close range presents a problem. I have bifocals, and focusing on a close target, and sights presents an issue. I have to tilt my head back to see the sights, and then back forward to see the target. I can never frame sights and targets at the same time. The main reason, I will never be a competition shooter. :D Oh to be young again. Any advise, or tips appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the exact same problem, in that I cannot focus on the front sight, especially indoors, without tilting my head back unnaturally. I can wear my reading glasses and see the front sight fine, but the target is really difficult then. Outdoors is better, because the iris closes down increasing depth of field. You may find a color of front sight that is better than others. I think I need to stay with white. I am also seriously considering getting an XS Big Dot for my G26 CCW. I have the Tru-Glo TFO set on my P226; outside they are great, inside or at night, not so much. I think that having the front sight in razor sharp focus may not be required, as long as you are paying attention to the front sight more than the target. Make that mental focus on the front sight. I am still learning this one.
Also, take a look at this thread over at Sig Forum. http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1580039392?r=8950059392#8950059392

·
Registered
2 Posts
My non-dominate eye is perfect both near and far but unfortunatley my dominate eye is 20/20 and I need a 1.25x reading glasses to read a book.

I bought a 1.25x reading glasses from Wal-Mart, knocked out the left side for normal unimpeded viewing and wear them that way.

It is a little odd at first but my non dominate eye eventually sees everything near and far normally while my dominate eye see slightly blurry far and a perfect sight picture up close.

It is sort of like learning to shoot for the first time with two eyes open, once you accept it everything is normal. I have a pair of Revision glasses that fit over the reading glasses and all is good.

I shoot IDPA and was having problems but once I did this I was back in the game.

Hope this helps.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Jeffa said:
My non-dominate eye is perfect both near and far but unfortunatley my dominate eye is 20/20 and I need a 1.25x reading glasses to read a book.

I bought a 1.25x reading glasses from Wal-Mart, knocked out the left side for normal unimpeded viewing and wear them that way.

It is a little odd at first but my non dominate eye eventually sees everything near and far normally while my dominate eye see slightly blurry far and a perfect sight picture up close.

It is sort of like learning to shoot for the first time with two eyes open, once you accept it everything is normal. I have a pair of Revision glasses that fit over the reading glasses and all is good.

I shoot IDPA and was having problems but once I did this I was back in the game.

Hope this helps.
I have shooting glasses from Wiley X. The right eye is prescribed for close vision and the left is for far vision. I actually brought my gun in to get the proper prescription. Wiley X even offers bifocals and progressive lenses, all ANSI rated.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Try to find an optometrist that shoots, or already has experience making glasses for shooters. The older guys that run the LGS usually know someone they can refer you to. Drugstore reading glasses won't work, the grind on the lens is too low. A custom grind for bi, or tri focals will be higher up so you won't have to move our whole head to look through them, and lightweight frames that fit your face will stay put better. And remember that whatever tint you might want, will have an affect on how you see colored sight dots.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Jimbo!! I have the exact same problem. I did a video on here of me shooting my rifle and you can see me trying to get a good eyesight in my sights in the vdieo and lean my head back and trying to get my vision where I am looking through the bottom of my progressive lenses to see the sights clear. I like the idea from Wrecker or the one from Blackwolff. I am going to have to do more research!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
You want your focus on the front sight, not the target. The target and the rear sight should be out of focus when you have the front sight in focus.

For us Bifocal folks we just have to learn to shoot either with a fuzzy front, rear sight and target or, have the doctor perscribe you with some good shooting glasses. We just can't take an aggressive/forward stance without tilting our heads back so we can see that clear front sight. But there is some hope.

Before shooting make sure the nose pads on the frame are in the correct position. We get to pushing and sliding our glasses around on the bridge of our noses and can flatten these out. Also if you can check the ear pieces and try to get them to hold the glasses as steady as possiable. See (excuse the pun) where I'm going with this?

When the pads pushing the glasses up a bit higher on your nose and the frames holding your glasses firmly in place you now don't have to tilt ya head back so far to get that crisp front sight! Did I say to clean the glasses good before the match, well dang it I meant too!

But the doctors have the best cure for what ails us. By golly, they can put the bifocal on the top of the dominate eye lens instead of the bottom! Not you have to throw that head forward and look natural too. The weak eye lens can be set normal or for distance, whatever ya want.

My wife loves hers' and is starting to catch me in the GSSF world!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the same problem..I choose to keep my front sight clear, with the rear sight and the target fuzzy. This is the way it should be anyway since your focus should be on the front sight..then when I have to see my target clearly, I switch glasses as I need help for distance anyway. This allows me to see where my shots went. Keep in mind that I only need reading glasses for reading only and that I can use plain lens shooting glasses to see my front sight clearly. The rear sight is out of focus only because of my focal plane being on the front sight.

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
Im not sure whats wrong with my wifes eyes but she has to wear glasses all the time. She wears contacts when she shoots has no problems and she can't focus with her right eye but she's right handed so she shoots focusing with her left eye with right hand. She tried left handed but didn't feel comfortable. But I've only got her to go a few times but she was doing pretty good last time we went. Have any of y'all tried contacts?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
10mil said:
Im not sure whats wrong with my wifes eyes but she has to wear glasses all the time. She wears contacts when she shoots has no problems and she can't focus with her right eye but she's right handed so she shoots focusing with her left eye with right hand. She tried left handed but didn't feel comfortable. But I've only got her to go a few times but she was doing pretty good last time we went. Have any of y'all tried contacts?
Personally I just plain don't like contacts... I don't feel they are comfortable or safe. JMHO

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been wearing contacts for 24 years, without a single problem that had anything to do with the contacts. For me, too many things can, and have, happen with glasses and if you don't have a backup pair on you when that happens, you're SOL. My vision is 20/15 (better than normal) with my contacts, 20/20 with my glasses and 20/400 (probably worse now) without them. Even if I lose my a contact, I still have the other one. I've had glasses where the frame literally broke in half while I was cleaning the lenses, I've had nose pads fall off, temples fall off, lenses pop out...I wear my glasses around the house, but rarely when I leave.

For the problem described, the simplest solution aside from the XS sights would seem to be a laser. Once it's properly zeroed, you can focus on your target and look where the dot is; that elminates the problem of the front sight being blurry.

Now, granted, Mr Murphy can come along and knock your laser out when you need it the most, so you do need to at least be able to hit the target at self defense distances without it, but point shooting can get you there.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I use these stick on reading lenses: http://www.thefind.com/beauty/info-stick-on-reading-lenses
Instead of putting them in the bottom of your shooting glasses you turn them "upside down" and put them on the top of the lens for your dominant eye. I use the +2 power. For me it's been a tremendous help. I used to shoot with bifocals but had to tilt my head back into an unnatural shooting position that you see frequently with bifocal wearing shooters. Now I just tilt my head very slightly forward in a very natural shooting stance. With these stick-ons I get a crystal clear front sight. They are very easy to apply. You just wet them, put them in place, and let them dry. They stay on until you peel them off and will not just fall off (well maybe they will fall off eventually). If you take them off you can reapply the usual way. If you go this route (and I highly recommend giving them a try) shop around on the internet. You do not have to pay $25. Mine were considerably less expensive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies fellas. I have been working a lot of hours due to inventory coming up at work. I'll check back in, and read everything more thoroughly, after that's over.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts