may be a stupid question! Is it worth it to pick up spent brass to recycle for sale?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Gun_Aficionado, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

I was wondering about this as I currently sweep spent casing into range. Could I recycle and get some cash back? If so do I need to sell to a reloader or just reg.recycle yard? How much would I need to store before it is worth going to sell to get some ammo or maybe even start a Next Glock Fund?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

A lot depends on what city you live in.

3. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Before I attempt this I'd call a few scrap dealers in your area and find out how much they are paying. Also you may have to sort out steel from brass etc. Finally, I'd assume scrap dealers may ask you to deprime the cases...

They'd be worth much more for a reloader imho. Again talk to a few reloaders in your area and see what the going rate is...

Alternatively you can stock up on them for a few years, let your collection grow & start reloading for your own self...

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

OK, based on a quick Craigslist search for Phoenix, AZ, I found one poster selling once-fired .223 brass already prepped for loading, for $70 per 1,000 pieces.

In my experience over here in NNV, this is a very low price for brass. So maybe the demand really isn't there for brass for reloading (or, the brass hounds are keeping 'em to themselves, maybe).

Also over here, recyclers will not accept ammo brass unless it has been decapped (spent primers removed) and cleaned of all residue. I find I have better luck selling the copper jackets from spent ammo at the range, to the metals recyclers.

5. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

Pennies, Nickles, Dimes and Quarters, just laying on the ground. I'd recycle or sell the brass.

I take my culls to the recycler here in town, no questions about primers or cleaning the brass. Just no steel mixed in.

6. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Brass is cheap in az. However, I LOVE used brass. You could send it my way. lol

7. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Great info everyone I will call a few recyclers to see what they pay in what condition... I am not sure I am ready to start reloading at home just yet. I have a cuz that does this in central America as part of his business ( reloading ) he has a few gun shops. I may need a class and some guesstimates on hw costs and cost of material needed...

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I pick up as much brass as I can when I shoot. I don't know if I'm going to recycle or reload, but I do know when I figure it out I know I'll be ready :D

9. bfish

bfish Member

My buddy just told me about a guy around here who will buy brass for 8 cents a round he isn't a gun guy and this was second hand so I'm assuming this is 223 but he said any brass so I'm going to look into it but if this is true ill pick up what people leave at the range and take it to him other wise ill keep it till I reload it one day I've already began to pile it up:)

10. fls348

fls348 New Member

If you have the time........it's kind of like free money.

I shoot mainly steel cased so I don't, but if I were shooting a lot of brass I would certainly do it.

11. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

HAHAHAHAHAH! That makes sense, lol!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  12. chachimacho

chachimacho New Member

I pick up everything I see, aside from 22lr. Save a few coffee cans and separate the brass by caliber. I may never reload some calibers, but could always trade with someone at a later date.

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Forget coffee cans!

I use 5-gal plastic buckets! :D

14. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

But that's once fired brass, not random range stuff. I saw a guy at the last two gun shows selling random range brass. His prices weren't bad, but no one was buying.

I've always been told and read in the various reloading articles and books that you should only reload your brass, as you have no idea of the condition of the random stuff on the floor of the range. I pick up my brass and try hard to avoid the random stuff, especially in .40. When you're picking up someone else's brass, you don't know if it's once fired or if it's been loaded and fired 20 times and is about ready to fail when you reload it and put it in your gun.

I haven't tried them yet, but I picked up a couple of brass catchers. The rifle one straps on and holds a net back over the ejection port, without it touching the gun. The one for pistols actually straps onto your shooting hand and holds a net close to the ejection port. They were only $15 or $20, so even if they only half work, it'll be better than having to pick up ALL of my brass. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Jon:

Yep, that is why it is so important to inspect your brass before you reload it. Case inspection is a step many forego.

Over here, there is always a market for used brass.

Oh, and a Lee Bulge Buster die as an extra step in prepping .40SW cases will remove the "Glock bulge" and resize the case to spec.

Cheers!