Magpul I phone case

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by n8tv, Jul 5, 2012.

1. n8tv

n8tv New Member

So I was on magpul site the other day and see they have IPhone cases. I ordered one off of amazon for 6.99. I had been shopping for a case and many of them are like 20 bucks or so. This case you can get in many colors I got olive drab. But the biggest thing for me was Made in the USA. Here's a pic. Glad to see something like this made at home instead of china.

Attached Files:

2. laober

laober Member

I was looking at those, can you post a review when you get a chance. Thanks.

3. n8tv

n8tv New Member

Sure will I just have to get my lens cover tomorrow. Right now I have the otter box cover but it is big and bulky and was trying to trim it down a bit. I will get some pics of it on the phone.

4. MarinewithaGlock

MarinewithaGlock Premium Member

I had one on my IPhone 3G for a long time and I loved it. I'm notorious for dropping phones and it never broke while in this case. It sticks out of the front just a little bit to protect the screen from a fall where it lands screen down. I didn't pick one up for my 4GS though, I decided to go with an OtterBox Defender because I needed a case as soon as I bought it and didn't have time to order one nor an address to get it sent to (I bought the phone the day after I got back from Afghanistan) I like the Defender case but it's pretty big and bulky which is a major downside for me. I've thought about getting a Magpul case but it doesn't have the screen protector.

5. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

I use a lifeproof case for my 3G mainly because it's waterproof up to 6ft. Tested it in my hottub, shower, and 4ft depth in a pool oh and at the beach.

6. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

Yep. Truth. Very awesome case but also expensive. I use a morphie battery case. Close to the same price as the Lifeproof case. But I got mine for $25.

7. laober

laober Member

Intentionally??????
    :eek:

8. My kids and I all use the Magpul case. It is great, but not water resistant at all. It protects the back, protects the front when laid on a flat surface, but has no real screen protection nor is it water resistant. If you ate careful with your phone, this is okay. If you need something because you are hard on your phone, this isn't it.... Nothing like an otterbox or the like.

9. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Nice but I never pay retail for my stuff, I only pay retail if it means something, I got the case off Amazon for $50 so I ain't complaining :cool:. Hows the mophie case work?

Lol for the first test I tested the case stuffed with tissue paper in my sink then with my phone in the case. I though the case can float but I was wrong when it I put in the pool and there fore it was as at a depth of 4ft for about 5min playing music and it worked fine after words, but it still scared the sh*t outta me lol.

10. n8tv

n8tv New Member

Yeah you will need the clear screen protector for the phone with the magpul case. It does make the phone more like a phone instead of a big brick. Like the otter box case did. So I do like that.

11. Danzig

Danzig Glockin’ since 1993 Supporter

Texas
    Did the exact opposite. I usually take good care of my phones. I had the Magpul case and loved it until I knocked my phone off a bar. It landed perfectly face down on the concrete. I knew it was going to be shattered and sure enough the screen was shattered. I didn't want the Otterbox but didn't want a smashed screen more. I would've saved $40 going with the Otterbox in the first place.

12. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

I have a friend that has the "Tank" iPhone 4s case. It's military grade and he's really hard on phones. He hasn't broken it yet and it's been 6 months since he got it. Might be worth looking at.

13. laober

laober Member

I've laundered more phones than I'd like to admit. Since getting an iPhone I've been a bit more careful.......knock on wood

14. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

For the screen, get a ZAGG screen protrector. Same film used to coat helicopter blades. It can take a key and dremel and be fine. Very cool stuff. All my electronics wear these skins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KEuGL7Wc2Ps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rQcv3ETEQdM

Griffin makes a milspec case that i'm a fan of, but it does make the phone huge.

My main concern with the magpul case is the closed back.
    Heat on many smartphones is concern and those closed back cases hold in the heat. Long term heat isn't good for the electronics.
    I've watched movies and such on my iphone on flights from PHL to ORD and longer. The heat coming off the back is disconcerting to say the least.

I like the magpul case, the only issue I'd keep an eye on is the heat.

D

15. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

I use the zagg non-glare screen protector & a skullcandy case. I bought it a year ago for my iphone4 (which my son uses now) I bought an otterbox case & broke it ( more brittle ) so rather than buy yet another one I went back to the skullcandy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-iP...4554&sr=8-1&keywords=skullcandy+iphone+4+case

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  16. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

My edc is to carry my iphone4s in a leather belt case w/ the skull candy on the phone itself. I'm always climbing around on helicopters & doing things on base. I don't take my phone swimming & keep it the hell away from water.

17. I carried my iPhone 4 in an Otterbox Defender for a couple years and had zero problems. I thought it was a great case.

I got the iPhone 4S several months ago and immediately put it in a new Otterbox Defender.

Then it fell off a short table -- and died! It was a fall of around 4' onto a carpeted floor but the screen went black.

I did a lot of reading online and ended up putting the replacement phone into a Lifeproof case. It is expensive but seems quite strong. I've dropped this a couple times since being in the Lifeproof and there's been no problem. The fact it's waterproof is very nice, too!

18. Danzig

Danzig Glockin’ since 1993 Supporter

Texas
    Modded the Otterbox with a better logo than the Apple.

image-458930095.jpg

19. image-1752831933.jpg

Best 4s case i ever had.. Got it for $15 at bass pro shop its lite weight and mossy oak edition just love it

Attached Files:

20. n8tv

n8tv New Member

Well after a day of carrying around my magpul. I have to say I like it better than my otter box. I also carry my phone in my pocket so I did not use the clip on price the otter came with. This case is much easier to get in and out of my pocket. I put on a screen protecter this morning and all is good. I am not sure how well it will protect my pho e if dropped or anything but that's why I have the insurance I pay 10.00 a month for haha