Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It makes me want to scream!! Stuff like this at our major retailers is NOT helping the issue either... Taken at my local Walmart.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
If its not a stripper, and it doesn't say paa-ting, it's probably not a clip ;)

·
Heart Of Dixie
589 Posts
I hear and see clip, rather than magazine, used all the time. It
doesn't bother me I'm just glad they spell it right. ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, I know the difference and I guess I catch it but I don't bust anybody's chops over it. With the gratuitous use of "assault rifle", I think I will continue to let the clip thing slide.

·
I have the body of a god........Budda
6,346 Posts
If its not a stripper, and it doesn't say paa-ting, it's probably not a clip ;)
Thank you, that's the best description of the sound I've heard.

·
Because 2 Are Better Then 1
10,292 Posts
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic device Wood Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
So even the boneheads in charge of literature, are ignorant.
Reminds me of watching CNN years ago, listening to a female senator talk about assault rifles with high capacity magazine clips. She had no idea what she was talking about, but she had jumped on the band wagon. Hell yea, I was screaming at the tv.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
Words in the English language have changed meaning from their original definitions for hundreds of years and some within people's lifetime. I've been observing the clip/magazine thing since I was a kid. Even in some old war movies. I'm just wondering when this war will be lost.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So even the boneheads in charge of literature, are ignorant.
Reminds me of watching CNN years ago, listening to a female senator talk about assault rifles with high capacity magazine clips. She had no idea what she was talking about, but she had jumped on the band wagon. Hell yea, I was screaming at the tv.
That made me laugh. I have never heard it called a combination of the two. At least pick one and go with it even if it is wrong.

·
Glock, Victorinox, Maxpedition. Repeat.
111 Posts
Danzig said:
Words in the English language have changed meaning from their original definitions for hundreds of years and some within people's lifetime. I've been observing the clip/magazine thing since I was a kid. Even in some old war movies. I'm just wondering when this war will be lost.
Not long I'm afraid. In my lifetime I've seen many a fine word disappear from the lexicon. Nothing is sacred, lol.

·
55 Posts
I think its just alot like the engine an motor debate..technicly since the invention of the electric motor anything that takes a flamable fuel besides a jet engine is known as an internal combustion engine "engine" an the electric motor is simply that an electric motor "motor" but the I.C.E is known as both an most people call it a motor even though thats not what it is but no one goes around bashing people for what they call it because everyone knows what your talkin bout nomatter which you call it so why its such a big deal with firearms Ill never know.Myself I call them magazine's "mags" but I dont freak out when someone calls it a clip,it may because most people in the gun world thinks theyre an expert and wants to prove that theyre an expert by correcting people.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
GAH!!! one of my pet peeves!

It IS important and it IS a big deal, as they are not interchangeable in definition, form or function.
It's like calling a "Wrench" a "Hammer".

IMNSHO, if you're a firearm owner, it's your responsibility to set yourself apart from the "uneducated" masses and use the right terminology. It gives you credibility. I know we're not all perfect, I'm guilty of referring to my Glock as my "gun" on occasion.

Speaking of things disappearing from the English language: punctuation. Stream of consciousness writing with no punctuation is confusing at best and just plain incoherent at it's worse. Think of it this way, if you would pause to take a breath if you were speaking, drop in a period. That's not too hard is it?

1 - 20 of 151 Posts