Glock Firearms banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I can see how it can wear out eventually. However, I purchased a Gen 3 g26 about a month ago and in the manual it even says that you can either pull the slide back to release OR press the slide stop down to release the slide.

Just some food for thought.
Well I am Glad some one reads the Manual! I own 6 of these Bad Boys and I have NEVER read the manual:eek: But after you posted this I broke out one of my 6 manuals and low and behold you are right! It is there in Black and White! Under Loading and Firing #4. After firing the last round the slide will remain open. Remove the empty Magazine from the weapon by pushing the Magazine catch (19). Insert a New Magazine and then push the slide stop lever (27) downward (See photo 2), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it to spring forward. The weapon is now again ready to fire. I guess we can now dispense with the "I do what Glock says to do with their guns..The lever is called a slide lock in Glock's case and not a Slide release lever. The manual says to pull the slide back and release to chamber a round." Not to pick on you Yogi this has been a common theme since I joined here with people incorrectly stating what the Manual says. And Me being a Knucklehead and not actually reading the Manual I was never in a position to refute it. I know it will eventually wear out the slide stop lever but in my 1991 G21 (My Second most shot Glock) or my 1997 G30 (My Most Shot Glock) They still work fine and they have thousands and thousands of rounds through them! Not to mention Probably twice as many dry firings that I used the SSL to release the slide. Yes I keep an eye on it (I posted about a month ago a pic of what they looked like in another thread where I was chastised about not following Glocks instructions). So lessons learned by me is to 1. Read All Manuals 2. Don't trust info you get on the internet! 3. Read All Instruction Manuals.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Well I bet he don't come back!
Interesting tho the thread took on another two pages after he posted and he is still getting lambasted.
Newbies just don't get it, huh?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Well I bet he don't come back!
Intersting tho the thread took on another two pages after he posted and he is till getting lambasted.
ewbies just don't get it, huh?
Hopefully, he "gets" that it's all in good fun. At least some of us are making an effort to show him that it's in good fun and it's more of a "ribbing".

However, you make an excellent point which we all need to take that into account when we write our responses to each other and to the OP of any thread. Emotion, inflection, tone, etc. are hard to convey via words on a screen and what you intend for a post to sound like may not sound like that to the recipient. I, for one, have been guilty of this on multiple occasions.

All of us should remember that the goal is to offer help in a manner where people what to continue to ask questions and interact with the rest of us. We don't want to be like all the other firearms forums out there and chase people off because they have the impression that "those guys are @ssh0les".

D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Actually I just failed to see line number 4 where it said to push the slide stop lever downwards..line #3 says to pull back slide and allow to spring forward. Here it is word for word : 3. Pull back the slide with free hand, and allow it to spring forwards into the final position.
Thetrigger finger of the shooting hand remains outside the trigger guard
. The weapon is nowsecured and ready to fire.4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine fromthe weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow itto spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.
Well, after much more research on the subject, I will not use the lever to release the slide. I have old eyes and just missed line 4, but hey, I love all guns..I treat them as they should be treated, tools to get a job done. I keep them in the best operating condition possible, and I practice what I do (sling shot the slide!!) on every semi auto I own, be it 1911 platform, striker fired or any other. That way, muscle memory takes over. And just to let you folks know..I am not new to guns or any of the platforms..I am 62 years young, a vietnam vet, an Ex-LEO, and have been shooting and maintaining guns since I was 8. I am a reloader, and have done so for 35 years. I shot steel silhouette for multiple years, and took part in cowboy action shooting up until just recently. So anyway, I am not new to the sport of shooting. So..please forgive my failure to read/see the small print and thanks for all of your comments. Proves I make mistakes too!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok guys thanks for the help here. We got the correct name now "MAGAZINE" I will do my best to remeber that. The ammo I use is Remmington from what I understand is pretty good quality stuff. That is what I do with the magazine it to tap in my palm and it seems to do the trick. Will just have to let you guys know what happens thenext time I go to the range. Again thans for the info.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay guys, First off I can take a joke but it takes a bit to sink in. Next off I'm dealing with a firearm here and like most of you I have a respect with what these things can do, So for the moment I'm taking some things a bit on the serious side for the time being. It is like anything you undertake you are new to something and you want to learn about it. No one was born with all the smarts to know everything in their line of expertise, you learn through time an experience. But knowing some of these guys on the forum they might want to disagree with my last sentence. LOL.... I'll try to stick around awhile and learn what I can.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Okay guys, First off I can take a joke but it takes a bit to sink in. Next off I'm dealing with a firearm here and like most of you I have a respect with what these things can do, So for the moment I'm taking some things a bit on the serious side for the time being. It is like anything you undertake you are new to something and you want to learn about it. No one was born with all the smarts to know everything in their line of expertise, you learn through time an experience. But knowing some of these guys on the forum they might want to disagree with my last sentence. LOL.... I'll try to stick around awhile and learn what I can.
Good attitude, new guy. Never stop learning. Everyone here is great; no one intended any harm. We were all new once, too, most definitely. If no one corrected me, I'd still be sounding like a goober whenever I'd say "clip", too. (It's a lot like when rec ballers calls it a volleyball "spike" instead of a "hit", "attack" or "kill." I know what they mean but my internal eye rolls no end.)

As to your loading issues, sounds like you've got it figured out. An added reminder: start debugging with the simplest fixes first (which you did). In this case, tap-rack-fire: check the mag seating; check the slide rack; check your trigger pull.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good attitude, new guy. Never stop learning. Everyone here is great; no one intended any harm. We were all new once, too, most definitely. If no one corrected me, I'd still be sounding like a goober whenever I'd say "clip", too. (It's a lot like when rec ballers calls it a volleyball "spike" instead of a "hit", "attack" or "kill." I know what they mean but my internal eye rolls no end.)

As to your loading issues, sounds like you've got it figured out. An added reminder: start debugging with the simplest fixes first (which you did). In this case, tap-rack-fire: check the mag seating; check the slide rack; check your trigger pull.

Cheers!
Hear Hear!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts