Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have a Glock 21 and from time to time when I put a full clip into the gub and cock it to get the first round into the chamber it seems like the first round does not go completely into the chamber cause when I pull the trigger nothing happens. What I do then is clear the chamber of the round and tap the bottom of the clip with my hand and then re-cock the gun and then fire. The 21 is new so I'm wondering if the clip needs a bit more use. So far I've put about 200 rounds thru thr gun so far.I'm new to all this so does anyone have and answer for me? Thank you.

Steve :confused:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Are you riding the slide or just letting it go after you pull it back

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Try to "DOwnload" your mag.

(this is a clip:
) :D :D :p I use them interchangeably all the time too. :D

By downloading, I mean load 1 or 2 less than full capacity.

If your slide is closed when you try to slam in a totally full mag into place, the mag may "click" in but not be all the way in.
Then, when you rack the slide, the mag may not be far enough in to have the round picked up correctly.

That's one thought.

The other has been mentioned. Are you "riding the slide"? How are you releasing the slide? Are you using the slingshot method to pull the slide back and releasing right away as it comes to a stop?

Is the slide locked open and you're using the slide release on the side to slam the round into the chamber?

Just a couple of things to try.

D

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Are you riding the slide or just letting it go after you pull it back?
This would be my first question also. If the answer is NO, then I would first ensure the extractor, chamber and breechface are clean.
If that doesn't resolve the issue I would try another (new) recoil spring.

Yes sometime the new mags fully loaded can cause some extra pressure on the slide movement. And many just download by one round for a month or so til the mag spring gets broken in good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thanks for your replies.

When I've been to the range I use both clips. I understand these are 13 round clips. It seems like I only can get 12 in the clip. But I might try just putting in 10 or 11 rounds and see what happens. With the gun breech locked open I put a clip into the gun and hit the button that releases the slide, I just let the slide move by itself I don't hold onto it or anything. This is when I do have the problem on occasions of the round not seating properly in the chamber. Recoil Spring? would that be the spring inside gun that comes out when you strip the gun down for cleaning? The gun is brand new. Is it possible that maybe the spring might be bad?
Seeing I've only have been to the range twice I've only cleaned to gun 3 times.Nexttime we go I'll try these things and see what happens.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Recoil spring is the one that's under the barrel. So it is the one underneath the barrel.

If you have the slide locked open and you're just using the slide lock to close it, the round should pick up and seat into the chamber.
On the round that doesn't fire, are you seeing a primer strike at all?

Have you tried changing ammo?

D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Try tapping the mag on the heel of your hand after loading it, on the wife's Bersa when the mags were brand new the rounds did not settle when loading the mags, this caused a few FTF's. After tapping the back of the mag on the heel of my hand then loading the mag into the gun no problems at all.

The best way to release the slide is to grab it over the top of the slide with your whole hand and pull back and let go, using the slide lock as a release will cause problems later on.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
The best way to release the slide is to grab it over the top of the slide with your whole hand and pull back and let go, using the slide lock as a release will cause problems later on.
Really? I've heard this from others, as well. I've also heard the opposite.

At the risk of threadjacking and turning this into a "how to rack the slide" debate: What kind of problems?

The slide lock release method is taught by a lot the "Experts" (Todd L Green, Rob Leatham, Larry Vickers, etc.). Not saying that this is the end all to be all, but just wondering.

Outside of possibly rounding off the metal of the slide lock what other "issues" can occur?

I've always taken it as a "use what works best for you".

D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Recoil spring is the one that's under the barrel. So it is the one underneath the barrel.

If you have the slide locked open and you're just using the slide lock to close it, the round should pick up and seat into the chamber.
On the round that doesn't fire, are you seeing a primer strike at all?

Have you tried changing ammo?

D
This is where I think the problem is going to come out! If the Slide is locked back and you are having a FT Feed when you send the slide home sounds like an Ammo Problem. I sometimes have it with Wolfe Ammo and I bought some called USA Ammo that constantly did it. I no longer use the USA ammo and I only bought the wolfe ammo when ammo was scarce. It is all I shoot now trying to use it all up!:D I replace it with good practice ammo as long as it is plentiful and on the market! Try shooting some "Premium ammo and see what happens! AND PLEASE LEARN TO CALL IT BY It's CORRECT NAME! IT IS A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Really? I've heard this from others, as well. I've also heard the opposite.

At the risk of threadjacking and turning this into a "how to rack the slide" debate: What kind of problems?

The slide lock release method is taught by a lot the "Experts" (Todd L Green, Rob Leatham, Larry Vickers, etc.). Not saying that this is the end all to be all, but just wondering.

Outside of possibly rounding off the metal of the slide lock what other "issues" can occur?

I've always taken it as a "use what works best for you".

D
This is only for Glocks, the slide lock will wear off the edge and will sooner or later stop holding the slide back on last round fired, or when you try to lock the slide back. The slide will also slam shut when a new mag is inserted into the gun, not a horrible thing I know but not how the gun was designed to function.

Many will disagree with this and that bothers none what so ever, I have seen it on a few Glocks. I also have a good friend that is a certified Glock Armorer that will repeatedly warn new Glock owners against it. I am not saying that it does it to every Glock, but if you look at how it works you can see how it can wear on the lock.

Same as above I am not claiming that this is carved in stone, just what I have been taught and seen. My G 22 is 5 years old and almost no wear around the slide lock.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do what Glock says to do with their guns..The lever is called a slide lock in Glock's case and not a Slide release lever. The manual says to pull the slide back and release to chamber a round. Other gun makes do things differently, and some call their levers slide releases. The machining is slightly different on these guns and are made for the purpose, so I guess you should read your manuals for your guns and do what they recommend.
Also agree with others, the pistol uses magazines, some rifles use clips. Clips usually are made of a piece of slotted steel into which several rounds of ammo can be slid into and the rounds are not protected in any way, generally referred as a stripper clip for faster reloading a rifle with internal box magazine. A magazine is a box with internal spring(s) into which the rounds are placed and the rounds are protected, and the magazine is inserted into a gun and the rounds are stripped one by one as they are fed into the gun. Nothing said here to offend you, just making sure you have the correct nomenclature for your gun parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you handgun is clean and properly lubricated, try these steps that apply to all automatics. Load the magazine and assure the last round is fully seated against the back side of the magazine. Taping the primer side of the loaded magazine against the palm of your hand will help assure the rounds are in the correct position. Insert the magazine until it locks in place. Assure this by taping the bottom of the magazine with the heal of your hand then check by try pulling the magazine out. With the handgun pointed downrange pull the slide back and let go! Do not ride the slide forward attempting to help chamber the round. Automatics are designed for the spring to fully chamber the round, so let the spring to do it's job without help. If the round fails to chamber using this procedure I would next look at the ammunition. Since it's a new gun I would not suspect a bad component, but it could happen.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
This is only for Glocks, the slide lock will wear off the edge and will sooner or later stop holding the slide back on last round fired, or when you try to lock the slide back. The slide will also slam shut when a new mag is inserted into the gun, not a horrible thing I know but not how the gun was designed to function.

Many will disagree with this and that bothers none what so ever, I have seen it on a few Glocks. I also have a good friend that is a certified Glock Armorer that will repeatedly warn new Glock owners against it. I am not saying that it does it to every Glock, but if you look at how it works you can see how it can wear on the lock.

Same as above I am not claiming that this is carved in stone, just what I have been taught and seen. My G 22 is 5 years old and almost no wear around the slide lock.

A couple of things- the slide releasing on a mag being slammed home is a design feature from what I understand. It's been discussed ad infinitum in another thread.

The slide lock wearing out is definitely NOT limited to GLock as I have seen and heard this about other pistols.

Thanks for the info.

I won't change as I"m faster with the release and that's how I've been taught and how I train. but it's good to know. If it starts to wear, I'll know why.

D

·
Registered
547 Posts
A couple of things- the slide releasing on a mag being slammed home is a design feature from what I understand. It's been discussed ad infinitum in another thread.

The slide lock wearing out is definitely NOT limited to GLock as I have seen and heard this about other pistols.

Thanks for the info.

I won't change as I"m faster with the release and that's how I've been taught and how I train. but it's good to know. If it starts to wear, I'll know why.

D
I disagree with the slide releasing upon having a new mag inserted or slid home by design. This can pose several safety issues with novice or careless gun owners. My Glock will keep the slide locked no matter how hard I reload a new mag.

Outside of that have a blast shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Levelcross said:

I can see how it can wear out eventually. However, I purchased a Gen 3 g26 about a month ago and in the manual it even says that you can either pull the slide back to release OR press the slide stop down to release the slide.

Just some food for thought.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I can see how it can wear out eventually. However, I purchased a Gen 3 g26 about a month ago and in the manual it even says that you can either pull the slide back to release OR press the slide stop down to release the slide.

Just some food for thought.

We are men!! We don't read manuals, we just go for it. lol :p

·
Because 2 Are Better Then 1
10,292 Posts
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic device Wood Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh come on. No one wants to hammer the the guy on the ( clip into the gub lol). My little sr22 has the same slide release as a glock!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Still, it is a magazine not a clip. Clips are used to quickly load magazines. Second, if you want to use the slide stop, as a slide release, fine. Just understand that it will wear out premature. I know from experience, and I no longer do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts