Magazine cleaning?

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by glocker73, May 19, 2012.

1. I own a G26G4 that I've put around 1,100 rounds thru it in the past year. I've got 5 mags total that I use, but I've never disassembled the mags to clean. So, how often should I clean them? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I don't have any great wisdom here, but when I need info. on my Glocks I check my Manual, they have them online as well and mine says every three to four months and has a diagram of how to do it. Hope that helps.

3. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Glock magazines are much like the guns, they just go and go and go. That said I clean mine every so often when I am looking for some fun busy work. At a minimum you can use a brush on the top of the magazine and the follower. Beyond that every 500 rounds or so (I don't really keep careful track of this) I disassemble and clean the internals with a simple brushing of the inside of the magazine and spring. I have never found the internals to be dirty enough to bother with actual cleaning.

4. Hurricane460

Hurricane460 Glock Doc..

I agree with cvitter but would like to also add this......NO OIL IS NEEDED IN MAGAZINES....

5. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I'm glad I came across this. My friend who owns an xd oils his and I didn't know if that applied to glocks?
    Thanks

6. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

I was told to never oil magazine on glocks. I have oiled the magazines on 1911s.

7. Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful!

8. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

How do you take apart and clean the magazines?

9. cvitter

cvitter New Member

The manual has an explanation of how to take a magazine a part. It's a bit tricky the first time you do it (removing the floor) but not that hard.

The key is to just use a brush on the spring, follower, lips and inside walls to just clean the magazine up a bit. As someone pointed out above don't use oil on your magazines.

10. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

I stress to anyone that owns a Glock to buy a glock tool. You need one to take apart your magazine easily. eBay and amazon are your friends.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Before I started using ultrasonics, I would disassemble the magazines and spray a good aerosol cleaner on the mag tube, spring, and follower, and air-dry.

Then I would spray Remington Dry Lube aerosol LIGHTLY on the spring and the mag tube, with none on the follower.

Nowadays I skip the aerosol cleaning and just drop the parts into the ultrasonic, and lube with Remington Dry Lube (see pic below).

[​IMG]

12. cvitter is right about the floor plate being a little tricky to remove! Actually, it's a pain in the a**! The first time I went to remove the ones on my mags to install the Pearce pinky extensions, I ended up screwing up one of the base plates! I found that with a Glock tool or brass punch and a pair of padded pliers or vice, it really makes it easier! Just my experience.

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

For disassembly, I use a stubby screwdriver with a shaft no larger than 3/32".....lay the mag down on the stairs (which are carpetted) and step on it with my foot as I muscle that baseplate off. And I do mean "muscle" it off!

14. rickjames

I also had a VERY hard time getting the base plate off. A half hour later with a sore thumb and scratched up base plate ,from pliers, it was off

15. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

Insert glock tool into hole. Pry forward. Disassemble magazine. Takes me 3 seconds.

16. Tried that! Many times! Watched several guys on YouTube doing that, but I had no luck! Guess I was doing something wrong! Can you post a video showing us your secret? Lol!

17. Very much agreed!!!!

18. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

No real secret to be honest. I just insert the tool into the hole all the way. Grab the mag with left hand and using the right hand, I push away with the glock tool. Be deliberate and swift. If you have some stuff you need done that needs the plate to come off I welcome anyone to send the magazine/ magazines with replacement plates to me with a money order or prepay via PayPal to cover return shipping and I'll do it for you free of charge. That goes for anyone. No questions asked. I'll clean them if you want too. Anyone is welcome to donate if you wish but is not necessary. I'll start a thread on this to help get it out.

Or not...... Lol

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  19. rickjames

Im buying a glock tool. I don't have one

20. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

Check out this website:
    WWW.MYGTUL.COM
    Great tool for taking your mag apart and cleaning.