Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know of a place to look for tactical base plates for Glock mags? I don't mean the Magpul rings or the base plate that moonlights as a clip but just a regular looking base plate but with (for lack of a better word) jimping, or something similarly not noticeable but effective. I have some of the ETS clear mags and their base plates have a ridge on each side that makes pulling a mag out quickly such a breeze. Their base plates also have ridges underneath the base plate (on the cartridge side) keeping it from sliding onto and working with a Glock mag. Go figure. I'm not interested in any of the engraved or painted or any other snazzy stuff ppl do to their Glock parts, just some that have a little extra grip.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Would anyone know of a place to look for tactical base plates for Glock mags? I don't mean the Magpul rings or the base plate that moonlights as a clip but just a regular looking base plate but with (for lack of a better word) jimping, or something similarly not noticeable but effective. I have some of the ETS clear mags and their base plates have a ridge on each side that makes pulling a mag out quickly such a breeze. Their base plates also have ridges underneath the base plate (on the cartridge side) keeping it from sliding onto and working with a Glock mag. Go figure. I'm not interested in any of the engraved or painted or any other snazzy stuff ppl do to their Glock parts, just some that have a little extra grip.

Thanks
I don’t have any yet, but I really like the 10-8 Performance baseplates.
Rectangle Electric blue Composite material Transparency Bumper

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
As Glock Ghost mentioned this maybe what you are looking for.
Vickers Tactical 9mm/.40 Glock® Floor Plates

Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

Wood Gas Electronic device Auto part Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why do you have to pull the mag out? Do they not drop free?
Could be for something small. If the magazine isn't extended passed my palm I generally have to give up my grip momentarily to drop a mag.. where with my G19.4 I can keep my grip while hitting the mag release. In an adrenaline fueled situation, one might not remember that they have to loosen and reestablish their grip on a mag change.

I could be way off on the OP's reasoning.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Whether or not you will conceal carry or do competitive shooting should factor in when you decide which baseplates to get. The Tango Down baseplates are going to stick out more which would be better for competition, but not as good for conceal carry. In my case I don’t do either one, but I just like the look of the 10-8’s more. The fact that I’ve never had to deal with a stuck mag is the reason I still have the factory baseplates on.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,290 Posts
For those that have had a mag hang-up when it's released, does it take a lot to pull the mag out of the mag well of the grip or can you do it with your fingertips?
I’ve never had a mag stick in a pistol except a Springfield Armory 1911 that had some kind of issue. I bought it direct from Springfield back in 1989 and it would eject the mag around an 1/8” then I’d have to pry it out with my fingertips and pull hard. Sent it back. They said there was a burr on the frame but still would do it. Traded the gun off to a dealer that had to have it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve never had a mag stick in a pistol except a Springfield Armory 1911 that had some kind of issue. I bought it direct from Springfield back in 1989 and it would eject the mag around an 1/8” then I’d have to pry it out with my fingertips and pull hard. Sent it back. They said there was a burr on the frame but still would do it. Traded the gun off to a dealer that had to have it.
Thanks. So far, I've heard of burr's or a lip in the magazine itself and this is the first of I've heard of a burr on the frame. Maybe I just missed it if it was mentioned before. I hate to think I would need to pry the mag out if there was a hang-up. I'll definitely will address it if it does appear.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,290 Posts
So investigating the problem with the 1911 I also noticed most of my mags had a follower that was sheet metal that could be pushed forward and get hung up internally.
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Circuit component Gadget Electronic component

So I replaced my mags with Wilson Combat mags that have a smooth plastic follower that’s about impossible to snag on anything.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Font Gadget

Now I figured that would finally rectify the situation.
While it helped it didn’t make the issue go away 100% of the time.🤨
So there was definitely something wrong with the pistol internally. Also realize that this was one of my first guns and I was a noob with firearms as well. We didn’t have an internet either.
Good thing was it was a limited production gun and was probably valuable at the time. I traded it for my “beater” Colt Combat Elite, which I still own. I can’t recall if I traded even or money was exchanged on top either way.
Hand Air gun Finger Trigger Gun accessory

My Old Colt.

·
Registered
gen 3 g35
4 Posts
Why do you have to pull the mag out? Do they not drop free?
actually, not as often at they should. on my g35 i bought from a retired police officer. he used this as his duty weapon. and he sold me all his mags ammo along with the gun. and on 6 of the 8 magsthey say "restriced LE/GOV only" (obviously older mags) but the other 2 mags do not have anything stamped on them, just the regular factory glock mags. all of the le/gov mags drop freely, but the other two have to be pulled out by force, and one of them is EXTREMELY dificult to insert, so much so, that i do not and will not use it. im only keeping it for spare parts. i dont know if the mag walls are worn out or what. although the mag looks as tho its rarely been inserted. i believe its the one that came with the weapon from the factory, but i do not know. ald i have a funstick that is a bear to remove, it will not fall out on its own. and ive ran 2 g17 mags, (9mm) loaded with the .40cal, and they inserted fine, ran fine, but needed to be pulled out. i think that is why there is a half moon or oval shaped cutout on some earlier models, i think it was there so that you can get your thumb or a finger in there and pull the mags out. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks
Why don't you just take a Gen 5 magazine base plate ? The lip is longer..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts