M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Sarabian, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Does anyone else have one of these spectacular rifles? I love mine and shoot it whenever I can afford the ammo. Mine is Korean War vintage and completely issue-stock. I have a bayonet for it, but it is not a GI issue. I love many different rifles, but this one will always be my favorite. I have a couple AR guys that make fun of me, but since I can hit anything they can, I just laugh at them. :D

I'll post a picture of it later when I get home.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't personally own one, but a friend does and I have

shot it on occassion...his is a Rock-Ola and is accurate as hell.

Which manufacturer made yours...?

3. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I've been wanting to get one as my stepgrandfather had on during WW2. I've been looking at Kahrs but I wish it had the bayo mount on it...

4. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I love the M1 Carbine. I wish I owned one. My old roommate bought one with a Ruger Redhawk also chambered in 30 carbine. What a fun combo to shoot.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

What's funny is the M1 Carbine was originally designed to replace officer's sidearms (the venerable M1911)...didn't happen. And so many different companies were licensed to manufacture parts for the M1 Carbine that a very very large range of performance levels were experienced from these rifles.

While I wouldn't mind having an M1 Carbine to add to my collection, what I really dream about is a vintage M1 Garand.

But that's just me. :)

6. SHOOTER13

Vintage like this...?!

[​IMG]

Manufacturer November 1944...

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Aw, man! Shooter, you just ruined my day!

Are all the parts matched? Armorer or depot servicing?

Sheesh, man, I'm jealous!

Learned to shoot on a Garand, and came to learn and hate the thumbcrusher...

8. SHOOTER13

Parts are matched...CMP Collector Grade

From the CMP site:
    Collector Grade Rifles have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Condition:Excellent

Ah, yes...M1 thumb !! Easy to avoid really...

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Thumbcrusher: yes, easy to avoid, but you need to experience it to learn you MUST avoid it.

CMP: my daughter was at the National Junior Olympic Rifle Competition at Camp Perry, OH (home of the CMP) in 2009 and 2010, and she sent me cellphone pictures of the M1 Garands on sale, some as low as $800. Almost jumped on a plane to get out there! Planned on accompanying her for 2011 compet, but she wanted to enjoy her senior year in HS and got out of ROTC (which was a requirement for Rifle Team), so sadly, here I am, Garandless....<sob>

10. Mine is an Israeli surplus that I bought from SOG last year. It is one of my favorite carbines to shoot.

11. Donn

Donn Active Member

Had one for several years, still shoots right where I point it. Unless you load your own, ammo is expensive and can be hard to find. Not as powerful or sexy as the modern AR platforms, the carbine is still a formidable weapon when used with hollow points or soft tips. Higher muzzle velocity than a .357 magnum handgun, (look it up).

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I'm placing an order on 2 M1 Garands today from CMP. $650 each shipped for Springfield Armory Service Grade, they won't be as pretty as that Collector Grade, and numbers won't match, but they are full of character and they are great shooters.

13. Nope. It was designed to replace the M1 Garand which was too large and cumbersome for many troops.

The 1911 was an alternate weapon just didn't have the range or accuracy.

The M1 Carbine was not an attempt to replace the 1911 sidearm (which was always a backup weapon, the carbine was a primary).

14. malladus

malladus New Member

Actually it was designed to replace the M1 Garand, 1911, and Thompson submachine gun in various roles, but not wholesale. The initial Army Ordinance spec was for a light weight weapon, weighing less then 5 pounds to be issued to troops whose duties did not require a full size rifle (morter crews, radio men, support units, drivers, couriers, etc.) and have an effective range of around 300 yards. It was to replace the 1911 to give them more firepower and range, and the Thompson for weight. After the initial success of the early German airborne operations the idea of having it be full auto capable was added with the intention of issuing it to paratroopers. It was never intended to replace the M1 Garand with the combat infantry. Due to its light weight it was commonly acquired by line infantry and the select fire models were popular for the ability to throw out lead down range.

malladus

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012