M&p sheild 9 vs 40

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by nbeal4495, May 22, 2012.

1. nbeal4495

nbeal4495 Member

I'm looking at the sheild but not sure if I wanna go 40 or 9 I have a glock 19 and love the 9. What's ur opinion

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I recommend the 40. Not only is it S&W's round, the gun is single stack and you lose the high capacity advantage that makes 9mm worthwhile. After a year or so when all the bugs are worked out I'm getting one for carry. I've shot the compact M&P in 40 and liked everything but the thickness.

3. I concur... 40 > 9 literally and figuratively. lol

4. I actually looked at both of them when I bought my Ruger LC9. My local gun shop then sold out of the 40 cal and only had 9mm left in the Shields. I would have went with the 9mm but thats just me. Instead I bought the LC9 just because it was 100 bucks cheaper. Still single stack in the magazine and the same size as the Shields.

ForumRunner_20120522_165309.jpg

5. nbeal4495

nbeal4495 Member

Decided on the 40 but now just gotta wait for them to come into my local gun shop..but I'm second on the list

6. Dont know what they told you in your area..but here in NC, they told me they wouldnt get any more 40 cals in until June 15th.

7. APPstateGLOCK

APPstateGLOCK New Member

I was told it could be 6 months to a year in NC.

8. Wow I wasnt told that, but yeah could be!

9. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

I bought an LC-9 (LM) recently as well, to go with my G19. The LC-9 is a world of difference to shoot. After an hour of shooting it, I vastly improved on the G19! Made the Glock 19 feel like a BB gun!

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

My wife has the SR9 and loves it. I go shoot it when I want to shoot a 9 and I will say it is a damn nice gun. I am still partial to my Glocks but I can't find anything bad to say about the Ruger!

11. Definitely agree with both of you. I love Glocks but then again I like Rugers too. The Ruger is such a little hoss, big punch in a small package.

12. McDaddy

McDaddy New Member

I've got the Shield 9mm and it's great. It's my backup EDC to my G36.

13. nbeal4495

nbeal4495 Member

What's the recoil like on the 40 compared to a glock 19

14. Generally, 40's have more recoil than 9mm. Suggest you rent a 40 at the local range so you can feel the recoil difference before you make a buying decision (especially if the purpose of getting the shield is for carry).

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

Picked up a Shield 9 earlier this week. Why 9mm? Because that's what my full sized and Compact M&P's are. Not gonna get into the 9mm vs 40S&W p*ssing match. 9's cheaper to shoot and with modern ammo is a sufficient SD round. MHO you understand.

16. Nothing wrong with a 9mm, and ammo is definitely cheaper! No matter what the diehard .45 ACP guys will tell you, none of them would like to take a 9mm to the arm/leg/chest!

Buy good PD ammo and enjoy your new pistol.

17. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I cannot speak from personal experience, but my brother just bought the 40 to carry and he loves it over the 9. A little stronger recoil compared to the 9 but that is really the only difference.

18. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Any suggestions on where to find one of these now? It seems everywhere I check, locally or online, is sold out.

19. nbeal4495

nbeal4495 Member

It seems like everyone is sold out. But from what I hear it is def worth the wait

20. APPstateGLOCK

APPstateGLOCK New Member