Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning to all that own the M&P line of pistols from S&W. I own an M&P45 on top of my Glocks. And I love to carry it. It is a highly accurate beautifully crafted pistol. BUT today when I holstered it like I normally would I had to adjust the holster just slightly and the firearm went off in the holster narrowly missing my foot and powder burning my hand. And honestly scaring the **** out of me. I talked to my mother in law who is a sheriff's deputy and she said that they have been seeing that a lot lately with this particular line of pistols. So to all PLEASE BE CAREFULL WITH THE M&P line if you own or carry one. Thank you

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow. A few questions:

*How long have you had it & the holster?
*What make/model holster?
*Did it go off while holstering & adjusting holster, or after it was holstered & then you adjusted?
*Heat/humidity affecting holster?

Glad you're ok... that's a close call I never want to experience!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
gunsmithie23 said:
Warning to all that own the M&P line of pistols from S&W. I own an M&P45 on top of my Glocks. And I love to carry it. It is a highly accurate beautifully crafted pistol. BUT today when I holstered it like I normally would I had to adjust the holster just slightly and the firearm went off in the holster narrowly missing my foot and powder burning my hand. And honestly scaring the **** out of me. I talked to my mother in law who is a sheriff's deputy and she said that they have been seeing that a lot lately with this particular line of pistols. So to all PLEASE BE CAREFULL WITH THE M&P line if you own or carry one. Thank you
Was it a Serpa holster? Yours has a trigger safety right? I'm going out on a limb here to say its either your holster or you inadvertently pulled or caught the trigger on something. Do you have that Apex kit that removes most of the pre-travel?

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Holy crap that's scary man!! Glad everything worked out... I am nervous now as a M&P was my next purchase

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was an open top don-Hume holster and I was adjusting when it went off and yeah I'm fine but my floor is dead and hell yeah it's scary I'm glad my kids weren't hurt

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And mine does not have the thumb safety my moms does had I had the safety I think it would not have happened.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
34,729 Posts
What do you think made it go off? Something in the holster, possibly trigger squeezed in the holster?

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
The M&P has the same plunger the Glocks do, as well as the slack on the trigger to help there. If it went off, send it into S&W now for service. Otherwise it sounds like an ND to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the triggers may be "similar" but they are differant the glock trigger safety is in the center of the trigger and the M&P trigger safety is the entire bottom half of the trigger it can be gently squeezed from the sides and still go off unlike the glock safe action trigger system where your finger has to actually push the lever down. And as I said it went off in the holster so how was it a negligent discharge? And if any of you know me I preach safety. This is the first and last time this will EVER happen. I've been wrapping my mind around it all day.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Glad it was just your nerves & the floor.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Kydex man...now while i don't have any experience with Don Hume, leather can deform. I am speculating that it was the holster that grabbed your trigger somehow since it wasn't your finger or clothing.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
While you're preaching safety, please add this to your gospel. Never tinker with, adjust or attempt to fix any gun problem with the gun loaded.

Glad you and the kids are fine. I'm also glad you're getting rid of that wannabe/wishicouldbe Glock knock-off.

As I've said many times before, Smith & Wesson makes a great revolver.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup learned that one today. And yes they do make a great REVOLVER. That's the only reason I bought one but f**** that unsafe pile of stool. Thanks everyone for the concern.

·
Registered
624 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/08/police-hug-triggers-officer-gun-kills-woman/ I heard a RUMOR that this was a smith and wesson. Thought it was timely. I am anxious to see what it was. I hope it wasn't the M&P. I really liked those pistols.

http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1282628&highlight= less of a rumor

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...another-case-m-p-detroit-police-shootout.html

Found out they made a big deal about switching to Smith from Glock. Ruh Roh! Very sad deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts