Love handles!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by singyourdeathsong, Jul 8, 2012.

1. singyourdeathsong

singyourdeathsong New Member

I carry my G23 in a CB super tuck deluxe. When I wear layers I have no problem carrying at 3 or 4, but when I have just a T shirt I experience a little profiling and I think it's because my love handles!!!! Does anyone else have a similar problem? Now do not think I am fat and out of shape bc that is not true, but I think anyone can attest to bein present during a wife's pregnancy!

I did find a remedy but I want some personal opinions about this style

image-3423354582.jpg

It also conceals well bc the arch on my upper back.

2. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Have you practiced drawing and firing from that position? It's not very practical

3. Wouldn't recommend carrying on the spine like that. If you sit down the wrong way or get knocked down for some reason, it can mess up your back for life if you land on top of your gun.

4. I can vouch for this.

I used to carry my .380 in the small of my back when I went trail riding. The horse I was riding was well known for taking the bit in its mouth and hightailing it down the trail.

Sure enough, the SOB horse freaked out when my riding partner and her horse turned around a bend and went out of sight. Took the bit, tore down the path, with me sawing on the reins to get control. Took the corner when I wasn't prepared. Horse went one way, I went another, landed on a fallen log, with my back - pushing that pistol into the small of my back.

I was lucky to not have broken anything. I was sore for weeks after though and even 20 years later, I have some issues with that area of my spine.

5. singyourdeathsong

I have been practicing the draw every day, but haven't been able to take it to the range yet. The draw difficulty isn't too bade I can get it out pretty quick, but the redraw is a little slower obviously... And I was really think of injuries wouldn't that cow hide help me a bit there?? And I appreciate the feedback but i still need some solutions

6. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

I recommend carrying 4-5. Some shirts will print more than others depending on how form fitting they are. No cowhide will not prevent injury as a result of an impact as described above.

7. singyourdeathsong

Well I wasn't talking about cowhide being like a cushion.... I was referring to that cowhide eliminating the possibility of the gun directly making contact with your spine.

I'll try carrying around 5 for the hot t shirt day, until I can afford a smaller pocket gun.

8. Iwrush

Iwrush New Member

I also often carry on my back I'm a smaller profile guy but it seems to help to carry off center and also with a opposite hand holster redraw is tougher as you mentioned tho.

9. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra New Member

Being a man with a large gut I have to say... What love handles? You have no reason to worry about extra fat.

10. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

You just have to find the right position. I have a Glock 23 that I carry in a White Hat Maxtuck, and I can conceal it with just a t-shirt. It took a lot of messing with the height/position/cant to figure it out. I am 5'11" 185, and I have some love handles haha, but it is possible. Like others have already mentioned, SOB carry isn;t the best option.

11. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I know several Cops who were Medically Retired due to injuries from Carrying their Handcuffs in the SOB! I know many others who have long term problems with their lower spine but were able to continue working. Put nothing over the spine! I am over weight and I can successfully carry at 2 and 5 without printing. Like jimmyalbrecht said get a Hy-bred IWB holster and work on angles and height to get the best conceal position. I wear button up short sleeved shirts like Hawaiian Shirts or my Harley Garage shirts and they conceal easy under them.

12. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

+1 Two years ago I slipped on ice with my CZ 2075 RAMI P in my SOB and landed straight on it. The pain was horrific and just excruciating I was semi-immobile for about a month. I really don't recommend SOB carry to any one.

13. If you'd prefer to carry SOB and hope that a piece of leather less than a quarter inch thick will protect you from a lifelong injury in the event of a fall onto your spine, it's a risk decision only you can make.

An alternate solution is perhaps either an appendix or mexican carry (front of pants, either right or left side of belt buckle). It's quite a bit easier to prevent printing when the grip is right near your belt buckle, and it doesn't seem to be too hard to sit down carrying this way either. I've only carried this way a couple of times though, so someone who carries this way more often might be able to confirm or correct my own novice observations on this.

Edit: If you do decide to appendix or mexican carry, may want to check out forum member Mike P's 'trigger thingie' holster, which basically covers just the trigger and trigger guard. I'm seriously considering getting one of his trigger thingies for CCW purposes because I find myself sitting down a lot more while out carrying, and it just seems to print less for me since I mostly just wear jeans and a t-shirt.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  14. laober

laober Member

I carry my 32 at a low 4oclock position. It tucks nicely under my love handles! They actually aid in concealment, that's why I keep them around ;)

15. singyourdeathsong

Im not huge but I do hve a small love handle situation haha

16. singyourdeathsong

Hahaha well maybe I should hang on to mine!

17. singyourdeathsong

Thanks for the input everyone, can't do much as far as cant with the crossbreed holster but maybe I'll try lower placement at the 5, I'll definitely keep it off my back from now on!

18. singyourdeathsong

Love the button ups too

19. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

To adjust the cant, you simply put one of the clips higher than the other one. So if you lay your holster on the table facing you, raise the right clip up one hole or lower the left clip down one hole in order to give the gun a more forward cant to it. Reverse this to cant the gun backwards.

20. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I would definitely drop it down a notch so that it rides lower. You can adjust the cant some, by putting the front clip so that the holster rides lower in front than in the rear.

And as everyone has said...keep it off your spine. When I started, about 1/3 of our dept was wearing handcuffs SOB. Then a year or two later, a new policy was issued that prohibited carrying anything SOB because of injury reports from other agencies.