Lost my father to a gun related suicide this morning!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lazyboy06, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Having trouble dealing with my love for guns right about now.Has anyone had an issue like this..please understand im venting through this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your loss...

All of us here at the Glock Forum would like to express our condolences...

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I'm sorry for your loss, prayer sent for you and your family.

4. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

I'm very sorry for your loss.

5. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

A very good friend of mine lost his best friend (they knew each other since grade school) due to a suicide using a pistol. When his friend returned from overseas deployment he had a lot going on in his personal life and just went over the edge. He used a 1911 that my buddy was present when he got the pistol. They had so many good times at the range with that gun. My buddy was really messed up over this. It turned him inside out. He doubted his enjoyment he experienced with firearms too. IT was his friend's mom that put his mind at ease. She even suggested he retrieve the pistol from evidence when it was available. (he hasn't done so) He chose to aid in the healing process by getting a tattoo in memorial of his good buddy. As his tips a glass of his favotite brew he always sees a glimpse of his buddy in the mirror. (tattoo is on his forearm)

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the Lord brings peace to your heart.

6. Sorry to hear man. Be there for your family and dont blame the guns. It was a tool used to get what he wanted done, done.

RIP to your father.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Regardless of the circumstances, losing a parent is never easy. I understand your pain.

My prayers for your loss.

8. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes we all do. Shooter13 is right.

I am not going to tell you what to feel or how to grieve, I am only talking about when you say your love for guns is an issue and I'm not trying to be inconsiderate or minimize what happened. My Mother died of cancer when I was 17 and this is the only sliver of a way I can relate to you. I think that the gun was a tool an I wouldn't blame the gun. I think that it really depends on how you process what happened and what the circumstances are but something was going on but while I personally would sell or destroy that firearm, I would not blame all guns. This is my 2cents only.

Again, I am truely sorry for what happened and my prayers go out to you and your family. This is a hard time and the lost of a loved one is complicated as a ocean of emotions sweeps over you. Just know that we support you though you don't know us or have seen us. Please vent if you want, it helps. Even PM me if you want to and go nuts I don't mind.

9. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

We are all feeling some of your pain right now. Feel free to vent, it's ok!

Our deepest condolences go to you and your family!

10. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I wish to offer my condolences as well. PM sent.

11. Thank you all for your post's were doing our best in this trying time.Just a bit of background on the great man the world lost today.He was a retired 22 year Air force Captin.He was also a computer engineer for the government and worked in/with the CIA.He was an avid reader and wrote several books.A wonderful proud grandparent as well.He had many health problems and has been in a lot of pain more so recently.Although i understand why he choose the path he did, its hard to see him decide it to be his last option.Again thank you all for letting me express my feelings one of the only ways i could.

12. echo4papa

echo4papa New Member

So sorry to hear about your loss.

A friend of mine came back from the Stan and was really depressed because of the things he seen and did. He ended up taken his life...so tragic. He was a good person and a good soldier.

Again sorry for your loss:(

E4P

*thank your father for his service to our country! God Bless..

13. Once a person decides that he/she is going to kill themselves it is very difficult to stop them. My wife's cousin failed at his first attempt to kill himself; after which his close family removed all the guns from the house and did their best to have someone with him 24 hours a day. First chance he got, however, he found a way.

The awful thing about suicide is the damage it does to those left behind.

My sincere sympathy to you and your family.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I think I see....

I have met some people, very strong-willed personalities, who have said that they wish to pass on with dignity, insisting on passing over the ignominy of for instance, cancer treatment. My parents are such people, and both of them have a NHM request (No Heroic Measures). My father has since passed on, but my mother's request remains.

There are people who wish to go on their own terms, at a time of their choosing. If this is indeed the case with your father, if it is any consolation, he did what he felt was the right thing to do, perhaps to laugh in the face of death... something we all ought to be able to do.

Does not make up for your terrible loss, but I hope you and your family will be able to see that it was a tool he used and not to begin hating guns as a result.

Again, my deepest and sincerest condolences for you and your family.

15. I love and have loved gun since i was a child.I was instructed on the seriousness of them since i was able to understand what they were.I have come to terms with understanding that it was indeed just a tool he used to complete a difficult task.I don't condone nor hold it against him for making such a decision.I am sure i will still love my gun and guns in general after i come to grip with this situation.Thanks to everyone with all my heart!

16. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Really sry to hear about your father. Cant imagen losing mine. I pray for you and your family.

17. Sorry for the loss. Sounds as if you're more strong and understanding than most would be in your shoes.

18. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

I am very sorry for your loss... there are no easy words here and just know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Peace be to you and with you.

19. G20G21

G20G21 New Member

I have felt apprehensive to reply to you're post but i feel as though not sharing would be even worse! I lost my father over ten years ago. Some say time heels all wounds well I think anyone that has lost someone close to them knows that this is not true! I will never get over losing my father. But one thing that time does is help with perception! All of you're emotions and questions about why! Do seem to become easier to deal with! All I wanted to say is try to take each day and the next and the next and with time you will have a different perception than you do now! Take care of yourself!

20. Bearlaker

Bearlaker Member Supporter

I'm very sorry for your loss.