Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma...
I have $600 vacation time to cash out and want to get a new toy:D
I'm really interested in a .22 rifle for general plinking. I'd like to get something with a big fun factor that's also reasonably reliable (for a .22) and good quality without burning the whole wad.
So far I'm interested in the Umarex clones, like the HK MP5, HK 416, and the Colt.
Or the M&P15 22 or even the CCMG Quebec-A which is really cool because you can convert to .223 with the addition of an AR buffer tube & spring and .223 upper.
Of course, there's also the Ruger 10/22.
What to do, what to do..:rolleyes:
 

·
I'm Back!
Joined
·
260 Posts
I have the CMMG conversion for my AR and I love it! It shoots straight and you don't have to change anything on your rifle... .Just replace your bolt carrier with this one and load up their magazine which is included...

My next .22 rifle will be an MP5 clone if I can't get an MP5 in 9mm...

Just my .02$, hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From all the reviews I've read and the Youtube vids I've watched, people really like the MP5's. I guess they have full metal construction unlike some of the other clones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Sig 522 is the way to go for versatility and just plain fun. I have owned one for a few years and love it. Like all Sigs you get that to hell and back dependability. I have a 3x9 mil dot tactical scope on top and a mico holligraph red dot mounted at 45 degrees for quick acquisation. A machinist friend of mine helped me install a laser with touch pad in the storage area at the front of the forearm. It's integrated and looks factory. The Sig will fire the high velosity CCI Stinger & Segmented round. A 10-22 will not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taperguy said:
Here's a few pics of my Sig 522 and the integrated laser. This pic was taken before I added the dot holigraph.
I hear the Sig gets high marks as well. Definitely in running. Are you pretty happy with it?
 

·
Are we there yet?
Joined
·
784 Posts
I have the CMMG conversion for my AR and I love it! It shoots straight and you don't have to change anything on your rifle... .Just replace your bolt carrier with this one and load up their magazine which is included...

My next .22 rifle will be an MP5 clone if I can't get an MP5 in 9mm...

Just my .02$, hope it helps.
^ This

Although the ubiquitous 10/22 scores a hell of a lot of points too. I really like the little 10/22 Charger for a target pistol, and with the Archangel stock, it's pretty tacticool.

10/22 Charger:


10/22 Charger + Archangel stock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I'm completely satisfied. It's ambedextrace on the safety and mag release. It's accurate and with a 25 round clip it doesn't jam or require the constant cleaning/ oiling that the 10-22's do. It comes tactical ready. All you do is add the sight systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
rivalarrival said:
^ This

Although the ubiquitous 10/22 scores a hell of a lot of points too. I really like the little 10/22 Charger for a target pistol, and with the Archangel stock, it's pretty tacticool.

10/22 Charger:

10/22 Charger + Archangel stock
I agree love mine
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
taperguy said:
Sig 522 is the way to go for versatility and just plain fun. I have owned one for a few years and love it. Like all Sigs you get that to hell and back dependability. I have a 3x9 mil dot tactical scope on top and a mico holligraph red dot mounted at 45 degrees for quick acquisation. A machinist friend of mine helped me install a laser with touch pad in the storage area at the front of the forearm. It's integrated and looks factory. The Sig will fire the high velosity CCI Stinger & Segmented round. A 10-22 will not.
B.S..
I shoot jackrabbits all the time with stingers and quickshocks from cci all the time through my 10/22 charger. It actually works best with these two rounds.
 

·
Are we there yet?
Joined
·
784 Posts
What I've read is that you shouldn't use stingers in the TARGET model. Top of page 14 of the Ruger manual here:
http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/1022.pdf

The Target model has a tighter chamber.

The only round I've found that my 10/22 carbine doesn't like is the Aguila SubSonic Sniper - A long, 60-grain bullet on a .22 short case to make the overall dimensions those of a .22LR.

But the problem there is that the 10/22's twist rate is too slow to stabilize that bullet. They feed just fine, especially in the 10-round rotary mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
rivalarrival said:
What I've read is that you shouldn't use stingers in the TARGET model. Top of page 14 of the Ruger manual here:
http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/1022.pdf

The Target model has a tighter chamber.

The only round I've found that my 10/22 carbine doesn't like is the Aguila SubSonic Sniper - A long, 60-grain bullet on a .22 short case to make the overall dimensions those of a .22LR.

But the problem there is that the 10/22's twist rate is too slow to stabilize that bullet. They feed just fine, especially in the 10-round rotary mags.
What's twist rate on a charger? It seems accurate enough..... Nailed rabbits between 100 to 200 yrds. with only a red dot sight. I like the charger cause It doesn't have a long barrel. I drive country roads on the way home and less barrel sticking out, better off. Plus it's short enough it fits right in my lap while driving. Mind you this is a farm community and about everybody has a gun in their vehicle.
 

·
Are we there yet?
Joined
·
784 Posts
What's twist rate on a charger? It seems accurate enough..... Nailed rabbits between 100 to 200 yrds. with only a red dot sight. I like the charger cause It doesn't have a long barrel. I drive country roads on the way home and less barrel sticking out, better off. Plus it's short enough it fits right in my lap while driving. Mind you this is a farm community and about everybody has a gun in their vehicle.
The twist rate on factory 10/22 barrels, including the Charger, is 1:16RH. That is fine for just about any typical .22lr cartridge.

Aguila SubSonic Sniper is a bit different:


I can't identify all the other cartridges, but the 5th from the left is Aguila SSS. Note the extra-long, 60-grain bullet on a .22 Short case, such that the assembled cartridge still fits .22LR dimensions.

That extra-long, extra-heavy design requires a tighter twist rate to stabilize properly. Out of a factory-barreled 10/22, the Aguila SSS tumbles, keyholes quickly. It needs about a 1:9 twist rate to stabilize properly. Supposedly, it runs well through most AR15 barrels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
rivalarrival said:
The twist rate on factory 10/22 barrels, including the Charger, is 1:16RH. That is fine for just about any typical .22lr cartridge.

Aguila SubSonic Sniper is a bit different:

I can't identify all the other cartridges, but the 5th from the left is Aguila SSS. Note the extra-long, 60-grain bullet on a .22 Short case, such that the assembled cartridge still fits .22LR dimensions.

That extra-long, extra-heavy design requires a tighter twist rate to stabilize properly. Out of a factory-barreled 10/22, the Aguila SSS tumbles, keyholes quickly. It needs about a 1:9 twist rate to stabilize properly. Supposedly, it runs well through most AR15 barrels.
That would work well with a 22lr. conversion on my bull barreled ar15. Always thought about a conversion bolt and mag. Just always found a rimfire dedicated gun I wanted more. Make me want to see if it would be more accurate..
 

·
Are we there yet?
Joined
·
784 Posts
That would work well with a 22lr. conversion on my bull barreled ar15. Always thought about a conversion bolt and mag. Just always found a rimfire dedicated gun I wanted more. Make me want to see if it would be more accurate..
I don't think the faster twist would improve most .22LR, and there might be feed problems shooting the SSS through the AR15... I'll let you know the next time I get to the range; I recently bought a conversion kit, and I've got most of a brick of SSS to play with.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top