Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a nice autoloading rifle, i have looked at the Remington R-15. I have never owned a rifle and know some of you guys can give me some great advice before I buy. I will mostly be Target shooting and deer and pig hunting. All suggestions appreciated.
 

·
Click Click Boom
Joined
·
45,268 Posts
Are you looking for bolt or semi? What's your price range? These will help narrow it down :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glocknloaded said:
Are you looking for bolt or semi? What's your price range? These will help narrow it down :)
I think semi, i want to put a mag in and shoot, 800 to 1500.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dutchs said:
I think semi, i want to put a mag in and shoot, 800 to 1500.
Doesnt have to be new either.
 

·
Click Click Boom
Joined
·
45,268 Posts
For target & home defense I would suggest an AR-15 but the 5.56 won't work well on Hogs unless you get a Beowulf 50 upper for it.

I don't know much about Remington's AR but for that amount of money you can build your own there's a lot of great help on here that's what I did, or I would suggest looking into Bravo Company or Stag ARs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
dutchs, dont let ANYONE tell you that a 5.56 wont work on hogs! We use em down here in Texas on our lease. We havent lost one. Especially if you put it through the ear hole! That being said, I want to build a .458 Socum upper with suppressor for sole purpose of being able to shoot several before the herd clues in and takes off. And the coveted two with one shot. Btw, for those that dont know, hogs down here are pests with no limit and no season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
sgtglock said:
dutchs, dont let ANYONE tell you that a 5.56 wont work on hogs! We use em down here in Texas on our lease. We havent lost one. Especially if you put it through the ear hole! That being said, I want to build a .458 Socum upper with suppressor for sole purpose of being able to shoot several before the herd clues in and takes off. And the coveted two with one shot. Btw, for those that dont know, hogs down here are pests with no limit and no season.
I'll agree with sgtglock!! 5.56 might kill deer with real good shots, but hogs.... Doubtful! If you're set on an AR platform, the 300 AAC is a promising start... It's not cheap to buy a rifle, but it uses stock AR mags and ammo isn't that bad... JMOT... Also which state are you from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,460 Posts
I have taken down coyotes with Walmart .223 Rem 55-gr FMJ at 300 yards with an AR15. Wasn't any fancy defensive ammo, or competition ammo, or even hunting ammo, just plain old FMJ. One shot thru the head.

Never tried hogs before. Here piggy-piggy-piggy! Here piggy! :p TIME TO DIE!
 

·
Click Click Boom
Joined
·
45,268 Posts
sgtglock said:
dutchs, dont let ANYONE tell you that a 5.56 wont work on hogs! We use em down here in Texas on our lease. We havent lost one. Especially if you put it through the ear hole! That being said, I want to build a .458 Socum upper with suppressor for sole purpose of being able to shoot several before the herd clues in and takes off. And the coveted two with one shot. Btw, for those that dont know, hogs down here are pests with no limit and no season.
I believe you could drop a hog with 5.56 but it wouldn't be my first caliber for Hog hunting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
I have taken down coyotes with Walmart .223 Rem 55-gr FMJ at 300 yards with an AR15. Wasn't any fancy defensive ammo, or competition ammo, or even hunting ammo, just plain old FMJ. One shot thru the head.

Never tried hogs before. Here piggy-piggy-piggy! Here piggy! :p TIME TO DIE! http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e...m stuff/?action=view&current=evilgrin0007.gif
The last few deer I've killed have been with my 220 Swift... All head shots... No meat lost and they never moved... I can only go from what I've heard, so I'm not sure how tough hogs are. All the "experts" claim 30 calibre...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
I might hsve been misunderstood. 5.56 IS adaquate for hogs. A good controlled expansion bullet will get to the vitals or put it in the brainpan. If all I had to hunt deer and hogs was a 5.56 it wouldnt bother me at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
sgtglock said:
dutchs, dont let ANYONE tell you that a 5.56 wont work on hogs! We use em down here in Texas on our lease. We havent lost one. Especially if you put it through the ear hole! That being said, I want to build a .458 Socum upper with suppressor for sole purpose of being able to shoot several before the herd clues in and takes off. And the coveted two with one shot. Btw, for those that dont know, hogs down here are pests with no limit and no season.
458 would be nice!! Sorry I didn't read all your post!! Whoops!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ckuenzer331 said:
I'll agree with sgtglock!! 5.56 might kill deer with real good shots, but hogs.... Doubtful! If you're set on an AR platform, the 300 AAC is a promising start... It's not cheap to buy a rifle, but it uses stock AR mags and ammo isn't that bad... JMOT... Also which state are you from?
I'm down in Florida, i grew up in a non gun family and this is all new to me. Just some things on my list you know. I'm kinda OCD and really like things a certain way. Doesn't have to be the most expensive just versatile and effective. I'm definitely getting a hog some day. And i really love target shooting so the Ammo can't be crazy expensive. Thinking I'll go to Georgia or Alabama for Deer. Also i don't want to end up under gunned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,460 Posts
All the "experts" claim 30 calibre...
Yes, that's what I've been told, too. An SKS would be nice for this (7.62x39, roughly .308 cal) I guess, but I do not know.

The only hogs I have ever hunted had two arms and two legs and were kinda squishy on the insides
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
dutchs said:
I'm down in Florida, i grew up in a non gun family and this is all new to me. Just some things on my list you know. I'm kinda OCD and really like things a certain way. Doesn't have to be the most expensive just versatile and effective. I'm definitely getting a hog some day. And i really love target shooting so the Ammo can't be crazy expensive. Thinking I'll go to Georgia or Alabama for Deer. Also i don't want to end up under gunned.
Do some looking into a 300 AAC! I don't own one, but I'm seriously thinking it will be my next build. Plus you can change uppers on an AR and go back to 5.56....
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top