Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a g19 Gen4 and a g26 Gen4. Love them both but looking for more stopping power in an EDC. Can you guys share the pros & cons of both the .45 GAP vs the 10mm? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
I compared a G39 (GAP) and a G30 SF (ACP) at the local gun store this past Saturday and bought the G30 SF. I went in SPECIFICALLY to buy a G39 and still came out with the G30 SF. I have no experience with the 10 mm.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I compared a G39 (GAP) and a G30 SF (ACP) at the local gun store this past Saturday and bought the G30 SF. I went in SPECIFICALLY to buy a G39 and still came out with the G30 SF. I have no experience with the 10 mm.
Unless you just want a GAP I would go with the G30. My Favorite Gun! But between the Gap and the 10mm I would go with the 10 mm!

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
sgtcowboyusmc said:
Unless you just want a GAP I would go with the G30. My Favorite Gun! But between the Gap and the 10mm I would go with the 10 mm!
I thought I did want the GAP, but not after a side-by-side comparison with the ACP.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
G30 if you want .45acp. G27 with Pearce +1 grip extension..still smaller frame than mid-size and 10+1 for capacity. That's my EDC.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
The 10mm is the most powerful Glock made. Now imagine that power in a small package.

I loved my 29sf. Tons of stopping power. You just can't go wrong with the 10mm.

·
Premium Member
5,882 Posts
Blades said:
What bullets do you carry now? A different caliber is probably not going to change your "stopping power". The right bullet will make a difference.

Have you read this article?
That is excellent info! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I carried a Glock 29SF. Love the 10mm. I have arthritis in both hands that is getting worse and the 10mm, in that size gun, is getting to be too much to handle, so I sold it. Between the .45ACP and .45GAP, in Glocks, even with the SF, the .45ACP is too big for my hands, so I bought the G39. I already had a G37 and I love the .45GAP round. It's ballistically identical and sometimes superior to the .45ACP.

In guns from some other manufacturers, the .45ACP fits my hand fine. I don't know why Glock can't make a .45ACP with a little smaller grip, except that they came out with the .45GAP to fill that "need".

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. People say that 10mm and .45GAP are a lot more expensive than the .45ACP, but it's not hard to find either one in the same price range as .45ACP.

From a size standpoint, the G29 & 30 are the same size, and are bigger than the G39, which is the same size as the 26/27.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you want more stopping power you need to move up to a rifle or shot gun, most major hand gun calibers are essentially the same with proper ammo.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
EvilD said:
If you want more stopping power you need to move up to a rifle or shot gun, most major hand gun calibers are essentially the same with proper ammo.
Eh, I'm not so sure about this. I haven't seen any auto-loading cartridge that can match the pure power that the 10mm puts out.

·
1,611 Posts
The 10mm is the most powerful Glock made. Now imagine that power in a small package.

I loved my 29sf. Tons of stopping power. You just can't go wrong with the 10mm.
I was considering the G29 before I purchased my G30. Almost got it instead, but then I saw the .460 Rowland conversion for the G30; someday I'll have the .460 Rowland. :)

That is excellent info! Thanks.
Anytime, your welcome.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
Blades said:
I was considering the G29 before I purchased my G30. Almost got it instead, but then I saw the .460 Rowland conversion for the G30; someday I'll have the .460 Rowland. :)
True but finding that cartridge is expensive and hard to do unless you reload.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Eh, I'm not so sure about this. I haven't seen any auto-loading cartridge that can match the pure power that the 10mm puts out.
Yeah on paper, not in real life gun fights, unless you have some data, I've never seen any and I've been following this type of thing for a long time.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
EvilD said:
Yeah on paper, not in real life gun fights, unless you have some data, I've never seen any and I've been following this type of thing for a long time.
I mean yeah, any bullet will do, but what other pistol cartridges do you know that are said to take down bears, cougars, hogs, and other large game? None that I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I mean yeah, any bullet will do, but what other pistol cartridges do you know that are said to take down bears, cougars, hogs, and other large game? None that I'm familiar with.
357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 lc, 454 cassul, 480 ruger, 460 SW, 500 AE, 500 SW, 445 Wildey, 357 supermag etc...357, 41, 44, 445 Wildey, 50 AE all available in auto

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
EvilD said:
357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 lc, 454 cassul, 480 ruger, 460 SW, 500 AE, 500 SW, 445 Wildey, 357 supermag etc...357, 41, 44, 445 Wildey, 50 AE all available in auto
In a pistol that requires a magazine that is a common caliber was what I was referring to. I'm more than familiar with those cartridges, and I'm familiar with the Desert Eagle calibers.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In a pistol that requires a magazine that is a common caliber was what I was referring to. I'm more than familiar with those cartridges, and I'm familiar with the Desert Eagle calibers.
regardless, for a fighting gun, there is essentially no difference. But, I do want a 10

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all, this has been helpful. I think I'm going to rent one of each caliber (Glock of course!) and see which would be the best fit for me. Appreciate all the responses!

·
1,611 Posts
True but finding that cartridge is expensive and hard to do unless you reload.
Naaa not to expensive; Georgia Arms has a 230gr hollowpoint that is $40 for fifty-- A 230gr Speer HP traveling at 1300fps. Nice.
The same round in 10mm(a 180gr +P) is only $29.00 for fifty, so it is cheaper, but it is only 1150fps. 185gr .460 Rowland is listed at 1550fps.
Critical Defense in .45acp would be about $50.00 for fifty(seems to be a popular round).
I still want a .460 Rowland. ;) A Glock 29 would be around $550, yes? A .460 Rowland Conversion for my G30 is $320, so that leaves me $230 for ammunition.

True, but I'd rather carry a G29/G30 in my waistband instead of an auto in any of those calibers. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts