Looking for a Glock

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by Virgin_Glocker, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Virgin_Glocker

Virgin_Glocker New Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and to the gun world. I've been doing some research to find a good pistol and I have my mind set on a glock. I will be going to the range soon to try a couple out but I'm debating between the g22 and g23. Any suggestions? Btw this will be my first gun…

2. bfish

bfish Member

What do you want to do with it? Just have it or carry it or what?

3. Virgin_Glocker

I'm not planing on carrying it, just want a gun for home protection and something I can take out to the range once in a while.

4. bfish

bfish Member

Well if you're not worried about carrying then size really doesn't matter. Really its just whatever feels comfortable to you and if you can shoot them first do it at a range that rents ect. Im not sure why you want 22 or 23 but I do know you want it for home protection which may explain the 40 cal but if you're looking at shooting fairly often 9mm is a little cheaper than the 40 as far as amo goes but thats just a thought... Really with your purposes many things can fill it! So like I said its whatever feels good or that you like which is always good fun!

5. Virgin_Glocker

I was undecided on what cal I wanted to go with so I asked around and did some research & I was told the 9mm doesn't have much stopping power so that's kinda what pushed me up to a 40. Thanks for all the info bfish I will take that into consideration.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Virgin_Glocker !!

7. bfish

bfish Member

You're welcome. I personally carry a 27 (40) so I love the caliber. You really can't go wrong with a glock! Good luck let us know what you pick up:)

8. Virgin_Glocker

Will do! Thanks Shooter13!

9. AVGuy

AVGuy New Member

You should worry more about shot placement than about knockdown power. A properly placed 9mil will get the job done better than a random 40 cal.

10. Shaun Kim

Shaun Kim New Member

I'm not going to get into that whole 9mm debate, but if your getting something for home defense and just casual shooting it wouldn't be a bad choice.

11. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

If you are not going to conceal it, go Glock 22, just my opinion of course ;)

12. lauritzencl

lauritzencl New Member

I have both the 23 and 27 and they are both great but if i could only have 1 it would be the 23.

13. Virgin_Glocker

Quick update guys… I went to the range yesterday and got to shoot a 17 and 23. Unfortunately the 22 was out on repair so I didn't get to test that one. I shot 50 rounds out of the 17 and 100 out of the 23. I did notice a little more recoil on the 23 but not enough to throw off my accuracy. I really liked both but since I can only have one for now I'm going with the 22. I figure if a was accurate enough with the 23 I should do even better with a 22. Btw wanna say thanks to all that gave me great feedback!

14. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

I carry a 9mm because I'm still new to shooting and I have a lot of growing to do. I figure I will grow in caliber as my experience grows. That's just me plus in the next five years I hope to have every caliber glock makes in a compact. Lol it's a dream my dream. Good luck and have fun checking them all out.

15. Glock19

Glock19 New Member

I love the RTF2 17 and 19. If I could only have ONE Glock it'd be the Glock 19. This week I adopted the 36 (.45 ACP). The recoil is not horrible on the 36 and it's slightly thinner and shorter than the 19. I rented the Glock 30 too and it was a pleasure; however, too bulky for carry in my opinion. This was my first experience with Glock .45. Hopefully a Gen4 30 is in the works.
    My grip is less secure on the 36 (than my 17/19). I just ordered a Talon grip and a "plus zero" magazine grip extension to hopefully create a RTF-esque grip. Another cool thing about similar sized Glocks is that holsters are interchangeable.

I feel everyone should have at lease one 9mm in their Glock arsenal if anything for the cheaper ammo. Also, in a natural disaster or apocalypse those 30 round magazines might come on handy!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012