Looking for a cheap Hi-cap .22LR Fun Gun Pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Ogre, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ogre

Ogre New Member

Hey folks, Im looking for a cheap .22LR fun gun pistol this year. Maybe something thats hi-cap capable. So far I've seen Intratec-22s that have reliability issues or the Ruger Charger which is too big for what I'm looking for. I would get a Charger if I could find a custom with a more compact stock and shorter barrel or mod parts. But everything I see would nearly be the cost of a new Charger all told. The gsg-5 is too large as well for what Im looking for. Ideally $3-500. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

Colt 1911 .22 is nice just got mine haven't hot it yet though feels like a 45 this is not a conversion kit either got mine 420$

Attached Files:

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

GSG-5 or GSG 5pk pistol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grendel 30 or Keltec PMR-30 if you want to move up to 22mag
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I know it's not what you are looking for, but.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnCdzIIroWs[/ame]

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

A friend has the Kel Tec PMR-30...30 rounds of .22 magnum firepower !

6. Ogre

Ogre New Member

Oh awesome! That is a shredder for sure. :D

7. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Trying to post a pick of my widest archangel charger but having problems with attachments

8. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

9. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Love this gun. Fun, comfortable, accurate. I've nailed jackrabbits at 150 yrds with cci stingers. And can rapid ring a steel tank half size a propane tank at 100 yards. All with a red dot. More fun than my ar15 mostley cause rimfires are so cheap to shoot all day long. Ruger barrels have good accuracy for a ten inch barrel. My favorite gun.

10. Ogre

Ogre New Member

On the archangel body would the forend be removable or be easily subject to removal and modification without compromising the receiver shroud? If I went with the charger and an eventually modified archangel body I would like to use a shorter barrel (tactical solutions 5.5" barrel). My objective is for a compact .22LR firearm with hi-capacity magazines that I could use one handed or in a standard handgun grip.

11. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Forend two screws and it's gone. Easy to put together. Did this one myself

12. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Might be kinda heavy one handed even with 5.5 barrel

13. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Check out the S&W M&P 15 22lr pistol cheaper than charger with archangel kit and looks better too. I have the rifle version and they don't jam like the other ar knockoffs. Ps avoid colt, unless you like clearing jams. Don't know about their 1911 just colt ar rimfires...

14. Thanks a lot guys! After reading this thread I spent the last two hours researching a .22lr pistol. Here is what I have narrowed down my list to: Colt Goverment .22, Ruger SR22 and a Walther P22.

This gun will strictly be for practice/target shooting. The reason for my choices are as follows. The main choice behing the Colt is that it is a 1911 chambered in .22 and I believe it will help me with familiarise myself with the 1911 (possible .45 1911 purchase in the near future). The same applies for the Ruger and Walther since I already own a G17 Gen4.

I chose not to go with a .22 conversion kit for one simple reason. The kit itself costs almost just as much as these three examples and I would much rather have one gun set aside for this purpose alone. I do not see the point in having one gun for a dual purpose when two seperate guns can accomplish the same goal for the same amount of money.

My next line of thought goes to the .22 ammo itself. I have noticed there is a huge market out there to choose from. In a previous thread I had written when I first joined I was concerned with a "break in period". I took the advice of a poster here and some friends and put 124 gr. (I recall buying a box of higher pressure ammo but don't recall what kind) ammo downrange through my G17. Is there any recommended ammo in regards to this or does the same scenario fall into place? From what I have seen so far, people recommended to me a few boxes of the more expensive CCI ammo and than just switching to you value pack 500 round box you can pick up for $12.

Any insight on the gun/ammo I have spoken of, good or bad would be highly appreciated. Heck, even if I forgot to mention any gun that you guys love please feel free to share!

15. GSG-5's are nice, and they have a Beta mag too, (110) round

16. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

The colt 1911 .22 I got had good reviews haven't shot it yet though it looks and feels like a 45 1911 here is a pic of it

Attached Files:

17. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

It's only a ten or twelve round magazine though and it only came with one mag:(

18. For some reason I failed to mention Sig Sauer and their two options. The 1911 .22LR and the Sig Mosquito.

19. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

I've heard those sig 1911s are pretty picky on ammo and can FTF on ya