looking at rifles now

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by rickjames, Apr 28, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I'm looking at ak47's I seen some saiga ak's. Wasr ak's (knock offs?)

I also see alot of people bulding Ar's on here.

I'm looking to get one just to plink around with.
    What would be my best route.
    I don't want to spend a fortune though but want something reliable to pair up with my G17
    Thank you

2. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I wont get in the AR vs. AK debate, but if u want an AK just to shoot for fun than I would recommend a Century(yes haters) GP 1975. They run about 550$ or so at dealers and mine has run over a thousand rounds with not one failure other than 1 dud wolf round. They seem to be a step up from WASR's. I have added a new grip and quad rail and put a red dot on it. It is now my go to rifle if rioters come down the block. That's my two cents.

3. rickjames

You have a pic shep?

4. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's how it looks stock.

image-221472784.jpg

It does not have a side rail on the receiver like some ak's.
    Here it is after my add ons. Bushnell red dot,utg quad rail, mako grip.

image-1487103019.jpg

Sorry it's kind of hard to photograph a black rifle with the lighting in my house.

5. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I'm a big AR-15 fan. You can get some already built for around $600 and they'll be reliable and without any bells and whistles. My AR-15 which used to be my duty patrol rifle cost around $2,200.

6. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnificent bastard

CO
    I recommend a Saiga over an Century-imported AK, (WASRs, "Yugos", etc).

They're new Russian rifles. AKs don't get any better than that.

If you buy a "sporter" Saiga, (rather than an Arsenal SGL), and then do the pistol grip conversion yourself, (easy to do and how-to videos are very common), you'll end up with a primo AK for not much more than the so-so Century offerings; most of which are franken-rifles rebuilt from kits with inferior US barrels.

I highly recommend checking out forum.saiga-12.com. It's one of the best sites on the net for AK and specifically Saiga info.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I love my AR 15 that I just built and look the other post I won't get into Ar vs Ak but it all ces down to what you want out of the rifle the AK is a use and abuse spray and pray rifle and with the Ar it's more of a clean it after every use nail driving accurate machine.

If cost is the most important the Ak will be cheaper to buy and shoot but the Ar offers more options with caliber upgrades down the road example .50 Beowulf, socom etc..

To be honest you can't go wrong with either. I have a Ar but hope to add a ak very soon

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

9. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Big Black rifle fan. I like AK and AR. It comes down to what you like but a high end AK will cost you. So will a high end AR. I bought a double star AR 15 for 650 that was just plain. The only thing I had to add was a rear sight. Then I started to add what I wanted as I went Wanted.

Attached Files:

10. post-apocalyptic

CO
    You underestimate the accuracy of a quality AK. ;)

11. SHOOTER13

BTW...nothing wrong with a Yugoslavian AKMS

[​IMG]

12. glocknloaded

I don't mean to turn this into a V.S. thread but the design of both bullets were done with different things in mind.

I agree with you that a good AK can be very accurate but there's no denying that a Ar can reach out further and a Ak can hit harder all simply come down to what both bullets where designed to do.

As stated early I think both are amazing rifles and you can't go wrong with either.

13. post-apocalyptic

CO
    Personally, I don't recommend a "Yugo". They're rebuilt kits without original barrels, i.e. they lack chrome lining. They're also massively overbuilt, with a 1.6mm receiver, (standard is 1mm), heavy trunnions etc. Those kind of features aren't even remotely necessary except on dedicated LMGs.

Carrying around all that extra weight for no good reason gets old.. in a hurry. ;)

14. post-apocalyptic

CO
    True enough. I just don't agree with dismissing AKs as only good for "spray and pray", because they're better than that if the operator is skilled. My Saiga 7.62x39s are ~1.5-2MOA rifles; plenty accurate if you do your part and your shooting fundamentals are sound.

15. SHOOTER13

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  16. post-apocalyptic

CO
    Yes, you know what they say about opinions.. :D

Mine are backed by a fair bit of first-hand experience with the models in question, though. ;)

17. glocknloaded

I don't think there only good for spray and pray but more so then the AR platform

18. SHOOTER13

So...let's see a pic of that super Saiga...!

"Mine are backed by a fair bit of first-hand experience with the models in question, though."

Do tell...what experience !?

19. rickjames

Thanks for the info and recommendations so far guys. And for right now I dont care if it's a "plain jane" rifle. Just a sight to aim, for now, and get some experience with.

20. glocknloaded

There's opinions and fact the 5.56 a specific function and the 7.62 was designed for a specific function and that's solid fact, now if you can do more with that caliber then what the major focus of the design was for then awesome. I am not saying a 5.56 can only do this and a 7.62 can only do that I am simply stating what they do best.

Please don't get defensive i am not saying one is better then the other or one can only one thing and not the other