Glock Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to get a rifle that I can use for long range competitions, but I'm not sure what caliber I should get. I know there are a lot of choices out there, so this may be difficult. Two things to keep in mind are 1) a round that can go 500+ yards and 2) something that is common. These are just a few things I have thought about.

Also feel free to give specific rifle types that you like, just not like a savage 110 BA. That is a little outside my price range......for now.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I am not a big rifle guy, but I have bought some for different applications. .308 might fill the bill for you, and I have some friends that shoot it long distance for fun.

I just bought this rifle in .223, but it is also chambered for .308. Looking around with Google ends up with info that seems fairly favorable. Street price where I live seems to be around $900. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PRECISIONCARBINE

Remington 700 Tactical would be one competitor/similar gun. There are plenty of accessories for it, but it also has its share of pros and cons.

Just remember...it's the glass that's going to cost you.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Knowing your budget would help. Keep in mind a good scope will cost as much or more than the rifle. 500 yards is not that tough. What is the max distance you will likely shoot? At 1000 yards a 7.62x51/.308 is starting to lose it's legs while a .338LM is just getting warmed up.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Knowing your budget would help. Keep in mind a good scope will cost as much or more than the rifle. 500 yards is not that tough. What is the max distance you will likely shoot? At 1000 yards a 7.62x51/.308 is starting to lose it's legs while a .338LM is just getting warmed up.
+1 to this. either .308 or.338 would fit your bill nicely.

D

·
Tommycourt1
678 Posts
308 is a good round. When I used to shoot competition at 1000 yds. I used a .338 with a good scope. A good scope can cost as much as a rifle. Also your spotter, if shooting long distances will need a good scope (at least a 40x). For all around hunting, if that is your wish, I used a Model 700 Remingtion BDL. I have shot a lot of elk at long range using hand loads. There is no one good rifle to buy. You have to decide the type of shooting you want to do whether it be for hunting or competition. I can tell you this, if you want to shoot competition, plan on spending some money: shooting jacket, glove, support, sling, reloader and one helluva lot of ammo and time at the range. If you want to shoot prairie dogs (sod pups) a .223, 22-250, 222, anything in that range is appropriate. Take your time to decide and choose wisely OB1.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
So I am looking to get a rifle that I can use for long range competitions, but I'm not sure what caliber I should get. I know there are a lot of choices out there, so this may be difficult. Two things to keep in mind are 1) a round that can go 500+ yards and 2) something that is common. These are just a few things I have thought about.

Also feel free to give specific rifle types that you like, just not like a savage 110 BA. That is a little outside my price range......for now.
You can get the Savage 110 FCPHS Precision for less and still shoot .338 lapua mag....

·
Tommycourt1
678 Posts
Another thing I might add, not to confuse you but to make you aware: your spotter. He is a very important part of your shooting element. You know your distance, but windage, humidity, direction of wind, a lot comes into play. When you get into state shoots, the 8 & 9 ring don't count. It's the 10 ring and the X ring. If you run into some good shooters, and believe me there are a S***pot load of them out there, they don't count the 10 ring, they are looking at how many X's they have. I have 1 suggestion and take it for what's it worth: Start out slowly and stay within 400 yds. 222,223, 22-250 are good ones to start with and they won't be cost prohibitive. Hitting a 6" silhouette at 250 yds. is a lot of fun. Shooting farther and hitting same size is really thrilling. And reloading costs won't be as much. 1000 yd range means a lot of reloading and experimenting with different powders and loads and conditions. Keep it simple, start off slow and just have fun!! My best wishes to you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start out slowly and stay within 400 yds. 222,223, 22-250 are good ones to start with and they won't be cost prohibitive. Hitting a 6" silhouette at 250 yds. is a lot of fun. Shooting farther and hitting same size is really thrilling. And reloading costs won't be as much. 1000 yd range means a lot of reloading and experimenting with different powders and loads and conditions. Keep it simple, start off slow and just have fun!! My best wishes to you!
That's some good advice. There is a range in my general area that does have a 1000 yrd shoot, but they have plenty of other sniping comp too. So maybe starting smaller would be a good idea. I would probably get smoked by the big guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, my budget would probably be around $1500 max. For rifle and scope. I can do the sling, bipod, and all that stuff later.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Also, my budget would probably be around $1500 max. For rifle and scope. I can do the sling, bipod, and all that stuff later.

You'll need to go .308 then. Your choices are astronomical! The .338 rifle will cost about that much no optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts