Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my TruGlow TFX Pro front sight aligned on my G19 about as good as I'm going to get it myself. However I really don't want to take the screw back out (as I'm worried it partially stripped), and then I have to fiddle with straightening the front sight for 2 days again because of my OCD lol.

I know everyone suggest the blue (242) Loctite, but that is when you're applying to the actualy thread on the screw and then inserting it to dry. I'm trying to avoid having to do this. I found this "Penetrating 290 green Loctite" that is supposed to add adhesive to the threads of pre-assembled screws/fasteners.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular penetrating Loctite? My front sight definitely needs to be tightened down more, but I really don't want to take it out and install is again. Thanks for any help and
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Font Personal care

suggestions!

· Premium Member
10,767 Posts
I've always used blue and never lost a Glock front sight over all the years but when the tritium vial went dead I as also able to replace it.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used blue and never lost a Glock front sight over all the years but when the tritium vial went dead I as also able to replace it.
Did You put blue on once the screw was already in, and then just dab it around the head of the screw? Thats my issue, I really don't want to try and loosen that front sight screw again, I'm worried I stripped it, I finally have the sights as straight as I'm going to get them.

I'm just trying to lock them in place without having to take out the screw again to apply the loctite to the threaded part of the screw. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this (290 Green) Loctite, or something similar, which is supposed to penetrate an already installed screw and get inside there without having to take it back out and apply it directly to the screw itself. I really don't wanna mess with thst front sight screw any more lol. Just wanna lock it in place.

Appreciate your feedback brotha.

· Premium Member
10,767 Posts
Did You put blue on once the screw was already in, and then just dab it around the head of the screw? Thats my issue, I really don't want to try and loosen that front sight screw again, I'm worried I stripped it, I finally have the sights as straight as I'm going to get them.

I'm just trying to lock them in place without having to take out the screw again to apply the loctite to the threaded part of the screw. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this (290 Green) Loctite, or something similar, which is supposed to penetrate an already installed screw and get inside there without having to take it back out and apply it directly to the screw itself. I really don't wanna mess with thst front sight screw any more lol. Just wanna lock it in place.

Appreciate your feedback brotha.
Do as Silvebolt recommends and the screw will be held in place and not back out under recoil,I usually am replacing a dead tritium sight so I apply to the threads but either way will retain the screw.

· Premium Member
3,623 Posts
Don't use thread locker, use a thread sealer. I've put on over 300 sight sets on Glocks since 92, and never had an issue with any them. These guys are avid competitors and training junkies. Permatex # 2 never fully cures and is completely resistant to hydrocarbons. Thread lockers eventually will crack, and have to be heated to be removed.

Henkel Locktite #222 is the lowest value thread locker at 56 inch-lbs.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
58,783 Posts
Well the blue is in there. So it is what it is now! Everything I've read recommends the blue. In fact I just brought it up to my local gunsmith to have him align it all and apply the Loctite just to ease my concerns about not doing it properly and he said always blue.
You trust someone else to alight your sites? I guess your ocd is minimal.

· Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Ive never had any problem with a front sight coming loose or removing one with the blue, the blue 243 is also listed as resistant to oil but i dont see it listed with the purple 222. The permatex blue lists fastener sizes 6mm-20mm. It works for all my uses

· Registered
2,410 Posts
The blues are too high a torque value for small screws at 106 inch lbs.
Six,
The break away torque rating is directly related to the diameter of the screw. A screw with a diameter of the front sight screw will not have a 106in/lb break away. It doe not have enough surface area to achieve that strength. Perhaps on a large diameter bolt you might see the 106in/lbs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts