Glock Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I picked up my KP15 polymer lower receiver. I own an m4 carbine style AR15(I guess that what you call it). The one with the front sight gas block and the MagPul MOE furniture. Anyway , I got the idea to put a pencil barrel on it. Of course, that idea eventually evolved into me justifying assembling a whole new rifle. I only bought parts if I could get each part on sale so this build has taken some time to assemble the parts I want. The barrel is a 16" Faxon pencil barrel with a Faxon Ultra Low Profile gas block. The gas block has material removed from it to minimize it's weight. That was the idea of this whole build. I used a Lantac Nitride gas tube, KE Arms KP15 polymer receiver and a lightweight aluminum handguard from a Florida maker called Spirits Tactical. The upper receiver is Aero Precision with no forward assist, again for weight savings; grains make ounces and ounces make Pounds. On top is a SIG Romeo5. For the time being I'm using my bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle from my other AR until I can get new ones. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow once the LocTite cures.
There is a substantial difference between this lightweight rifle and my other rifle. It made me laugh when I put the finished upper onto the lower and held it for the first time. I laughed and just said out loud to myself "I get it". But it's not just the weight, it's the balance. This rifle feels like an extension of you, it doesn't feel like you're aiming a rifle, it just aims. I'm trying my best to describe it but it's something you have to feel. I will be letting anyone shoot it who wants to at the range. I want as many people to feel what it's like to shoot a lightweight AR15. I haven't been able to weigh it but it's so well balanced it feels like nothing. In total it cost me $580 in parts. I'm very pleased with it and will be showing it off at the range tomorrow. hmmm... maybe I should paint it Red, White and Blue for the 4th of July?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas
Trigger Air gun Machine gun Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Product Air gun Trigger Grey Machine gun

·
Glockin’ since 1993
47,504 Posts
Yesterday I picked up my KP15 polymer lower receiver. I own an m4 carbine style AR15(I guess that what you call it). The one with the front sight gas block and the MagPul MOE furniture. Anyway , I got the idea to put a pencil barrel on it. Of course, that idea eventually evolved into me justifying assembling a whole new rifle. I only bought parts if I could get each part on sale so this build has taken some time to assemble the parts I want. The barrel is a 16" Faxon pencil barrel with a Faxon Ultra Low Profile gas block. The gas block has material removed from it to minimize it's weight. That was the idea of this whole build. I used a Lantac Nitride gas tube, KE Arms KP15 polymer receiver and a lightweight aluminum handguard from a Florida maker called Spirits Tactical. The upper receiver is Aero Precision with no forward assist, again for weight savings; grains make ounces and ounces make Pounds. On top is a SIG Romeo5. For the time being I'm using my bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle from my other AR until I can get new ones. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow once the LocTite cures.
There is a substantial difference between this lightweight rifle and my other rifle. It made me laugh when I put the finished upper onto the lower and held it for the first time. I laughed and just said out loud to myself "I get it". But it's not just the weight, it's the balance. This rifle feels like an extension of you, it doesn't feel like you're aiming a rifle, it just aims. I'm trying my best to describe it but it's something you have to feel. I will be letting anyone shoot it who wants to at the range. I want as many people to feel what it's like to shoot a lightweight AR15. I haven't been able to weigh it but it's so well balanced it feels like nothing. In total it cost me $580 in parts. I'm very pleased with it and will be showing it off at the range tomorrow. hmmm... maybe I should paint it Red, White and Blue for the 4th of July?
View attachment 271931 View attachment 271990 View attachment 271991 View attachment 271988

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so I took it to the range this morning. I set up targets at 50 yards to sight it in. I didn't think to save the targets but it's as accurate as a 2 MOA non-magnified red dot can be at 50 yards. The outdoor range I use is a county run range with volunteer RSO's; all ex-LE or military. They check your rifle before you enter the range to make sure it's unloaded. The guy who checked mine picked up my rifle, check the breech and then stopped. Turned the gun over and said "Oh it's polymer". I said "and it has a pencil barrel". He handled it for a second and said "I've never seen one of these in person, this makes sense". He really marveled at how light and balanced it was. I'm telling you all who read this that you have to handle a lightweight AR if you have the chance. The biggest thing you notice is how well balanced it feels in the hand.
As to the performance the gun kicks harder than typical AR setups. I expected that. I fired 240 rounds through it this morning. 60 rounds of 62 grain Winchester green tip and 180 rounds of Herter's 5.56 and Herter's .223. The pencil barrel held zero even when it heated up but to be fair I can't fast fire at this range so I wasn't able to do a valid test with a hot barrel. I would have to defer to InRangeTV and their test on the Faxon 16" pencil barrel. That test showed that when the barrel is extremely hot the groups will open up a little but the barrel still holds zero. What I did notice in terms of the barrel heating up is that the 62 grain green tip heated up the barrel with fewer rounds than the either 5.56 or .223 in 55 grain. The barrel never got close to being hot enough that I couldn't hold it but the barrel did get noticeably hotter than my other AR with the Gov. profile barrel and MagPul handguard. The brass ejects at 3 O'clock and hard. Another note is that the 13" length of pull is a little short for me. I will be looking for an extended butt plate. Overall I had no malfunctions and nothing that concerned me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added an QD sling mount and a sling. The stock of the KP15 has an MLok slot on the stock so I fed the sling through the slot like on a M1 Carbine. And yes those are Tic Tacs covering my serial number. I eat a half a box of Tic Tacs a day since I quit smoking 2 years ago. I figured I could find another use for them.
Wood Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel
Wood Textile Rectangle Metal Twig
Wood Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts