LGS's "No Gang Bangers" Sign

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sethican, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Sethican

Sethican New Member

I saw this picture on thechive.com, I love this sign posted on the LGS's window.

****NOTICE****
    If you are dressed like a "GANG BANGER" ie: Pants or long shorts bagging to your knees, shirt or coat 4 sizes too big, cap on sideways... (You know the look) You will be asked to leave.

We want the business of responsible gun owners

Had to share.

Attached Files:

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Good one!

More gun shops should do this.

Thanks for sharing!

3. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I wear baggy clothing dont mean im a gang banger plus im mexican. So what, more racial profiling. Im all in favor of them not wanting gang bangers but still seems a lil raical profiley.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

The sign was not intended to target any race specifically, and I not believe it does so in the wording.

It targets a mindset, that of those certain people, irrespective of race and skin color, who choose to consciously project the image of a gang-banger. Whether or not they are indeed gang-bangers is as irrelevant as their skin color....the "targetted audience" is of the class of people that identify themselves with the "I'm-a-lawless-gang-banger-so-don't-mess-with-me-or-I'll-bust-you-up" kind of people.

Do not misconstrue, iGlock, this was not something targetted to Mexicans. If the store were closer to Oakland, or to Florida, or Louisiana, or wherever, it would still apply, and those areas have different ethnic compositions.

I am not white, and I have been discriminated against in this country before. Doesn't faze me, I just walk away knowing I am the better person for not stooping to their level.

5. I dont think its racial profiling. Does the sign say anything about race? Its clearly targeting anyone dressed like a thug......no matter the race or color.

I wouldn't want such in my store either.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

It's kinda like the gist of one of my gunshow t-shirts:

"ILLEGAL is not a Race,
    It's a CRIME!"

Purchased from the Washoe Country Republican Party membership signup booth.

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

True but thats how i take it. Ive been raical profiled numerous times by different people including LEO.

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I know what that feels like!

9. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Im just saying not everyone who dresses in baggy clothing is a gang banger but i do understand where the LGS is coming from.

Now my reason for where baggy clothing is cuz i weight about 220 lbs at 5'11 so i feel more comftable and can CC better.

10. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Dont faze me as much as it did the first 2 times but it does get old and annoying.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Lemme share a few anecdotes:

First, understand that Reno and Sparks, NV are kinda hick towns with a foundation on cowboyism (and everything that implies). The term "redneck" comes to mind often.

In 2001 I bought a brand-new bright red Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT. Being as it was new, there was no license plate. The dealership put the dealer placard against the rear windshield, which of course ends up inside the car when the roof is retracted (it's a convertible). I got pulled over 6 times in 2 weeks (for no traffic infractions, jsut because I looked Hispanic and was driving a nice sports car that at the time didn't have plates yet because I was waiting for the Dealer Report of Sale so I can register it at the DMV!). I was once pulled over by a Hispanic motorcycle cop who started talking to me in Spanish, which I do not speak. I got tired of the profiling, and figured with my looks (specifically, skin color), and this hot looking car, I am going to get pulled over forever! Returned the car to the dealership, explained what happend, and got an SUV instead.

Another time, part of my job (at the time) was servicing the computers that run unmanned gas stations, and I was at such a location in town that is near a trailer park area. Well, working on the computer, the pumps were shut off, and I was the only one around. I put the cones out, I put the bright yellow plastic bags on the pump handles, and placed the cover over the card reader and keypad unit. Ya gotta be blind to think the gas station was open! Anyway, a battered old Chevy pickup pulls right up to the Diesel pump...it looks like it had been spray-painted (with aerosol spray paint in cans) a sick combination of greens, blacks, and reds...and lookee here! behind the wheel was Jim-boy and his buddy Jack (if you know what I mean). I was in the equipment closet, on the side of which was the card reader and keypad, and by the time I was able to approach the driver, he had already gotten out of his truck, taken the plastic bag off of the Diesel pump handle, taken the cover off of the card reader, and was trying to swipe his gas card. I politely explained that due to software upgrade the site was down, and that we had another site just 3 miles up the very same road. He looked like he was about to spit on me, and then muttered a racial slur (effing-Mexican) at me, which startled me as I am not Mexican. He and his buddy took off in a squeal of tires, running over my cones. Anyway, about 2 hours later, upgrade is done, station is open, I am monitoring the computer to make sure everythign works, there's like 5 cars at the station, and Jim-boy and Jack come back in their godawfully ugly pickup. From inside the equipment closet, I watch him run his card, enter his pin code, authorize the sale of Diesel, put the nozzle into his truck, then I shut the Diesel pump off manually. He was there for about 5 minutes, trying to figure out what's going on, but the card reader kept saying Zero Gallons Purchased. He eventually drove off without a word (and I hope he ran out of gas in the middle of the desert). I reported the incident to my boss, turns out the gas card this jerk was using was a company gas card assigned to a white delivery-type minivan. Their account was cancelled for violation of terms of contract.

Not being Hispanic, I was more offended by his disrespect more than his racial attack (which didn't faze me), but I understood that the limits of his intellect prevent him from seeing the world around him in anything other than whites-only for everything, leftovers for everyone else. I would imagine if I was Hispanic, that things could have gotten really ugly (I was armed at the time).

So, iGlock, I can see where you are coming from, and all I ask is to look at it from the outside. That's what I do. Now, it doesn't bother me at all, especially since I answer to an authority with a higher jurisdiction than local police or the SO.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

@HappySniper

Yea ive had that first senerio happened to me quite a few times with my camaro when i was younger. I live in AZ so im sure you heard about how tension are for hispanics in this state.

It doesnt really get to me, i just let the leo do what they need to do and after handing them my id, my fingerprint card, and if i have to my ccw they tend to get more firendly lol.

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

This is very true, my friend! I think (and this is just me) that since NV law allows the carry of a loaded handgun in the car without a permit, that LEOs often look at people that have a CCW permit as somehow more upstanding as citizens, given they need to spend money and time and must learn the laws and such.

Another time I had some fun was on a commercial flight out of Vegas. The guy next to me on the plane (I had the window seat), just an ordinary looking guy, started a conversation, and the subject was the migrant outflow from Alabama after the new immigration laws took effect. Several times, he referred to me as "amigo" (he was whiter than snow), and I just gave him a blank look (like I said, I do not speak Spanish). Got the feeling he was trying to goad me into something, but I didn't bite. At one point, I had to go to the restroom, and as I stood up (you know how cramped and crowded those seats are, right?) my holstered pistol showed. As I was not looking at him directly as I got up, I do not know what his facial expression was. But he grabbed my wrist and said he was a Federal Air Marshall as he stood up also. I told him, "when travelling commercial, so am I" and I showed him my credentials. He got really friendly after that. When I came back from the restroom, he was seated someplace else. Funny, tho!

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Lol. Thats a great story to tell :D

15. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

There's a difference between "baggy clothing" and dressing like a gang banger.

Are you wearing pants? There's this thing on a pair of pants called a "waist band". While in public, Is this item closer to your waist or your knees? If this device is north of your genitals at all times but while in the restroom or fornicating, you're probably not dressing like a gangbanger.

If you were to accidentally **** yourself while wearing your pants and wouldn't need to change them afterward, you are probably dressed like a gang banger.

There's a few other criteria, but this seems to handle about 97% of actual cases.

Race, creed, gender, religion, color, national origin, familial status, handicap status, and sexual orientation are completely irrelevant to determining whether one is dressed as a gangbanger.

16. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Lol. Well put :D

17. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

It is that culture that is shared by different races that I hate. They are the ones that act tough until someone actually fights back then they are "just playin". They are hardcore from the ghetto of (Name suburb of some cowtown) but claim to be victims and that the government owes them. So while on social security and watering their pot plants they try to bully people around or walk slow or drive slow so that people have to go around them. They love to glare and pretend they were in prison and want to go there to be initiated. While they pull up to get their social security check they have their pants around their ankles and 20' rims. What they don't know is that my Prof. told the class that in prison they don't give out belts and is the reason their pants hang and that they are usually some ones "Bee with an itch". This applies to all races but is about that annoying culture that is around.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Good point! Never thought of that!

Uh....do you know this from experience? (-j/k) LOL!!!! :D

19. This is sad, never judge a book by its cover.
    Almost had it with closet raciest.
    Just cause you see a white guy in combat boots with a bald head doesnt mean he is a skin head.

I think they would be dead on if someone walked in there with a flag hanging out of their pocket or something like that. But baggey jeans or base ball caps dont have a damn thing to do with anything. These people should stop being stupid and do their home work on how to tell if some one is a gang member or not.

20. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

It's not so much a question of whether or not they are gangbangers, it is more a situation where they identify with and dress like a gangbanger, thinking it is cool or hip or whatever.

Pants should be worn around the waist, not the hips. It disgusts me when I see some jerk walking down the street or at the mall with that silly looking exaggerated walk and underwear showing, and every 3 or 4 steps he has to stop to pull his pants up. Wish I had a staple gun so I can help them out by staping their pants up so they can walk properly.

Yeah, I am old fashioned conservative, and proud of it!