Glock Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I have seen, tried, and heard brake cleaner is fine to use as long as it is non chlorinated. I recently have used it and it was fine but I didn't like the residue it left.

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
So to say brake cleaner is harmful......I guess ALL the other dedicated aerosol gun cleaners are harmful also. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been using Breakfree CLP and like it. I think it does a great job cleaning and lubricating.
I actually did a test and cleaned the barrel with CLP then ran some hoppes solvent through it to see if the CLP left anything behind and it didn't. The patch with hoppes came out clean.
I just ordered some Ballistol to compare the 2 just out of curiosity because of some of the things I've read about Ballistol and because of Hickok45, I love that guy.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
34,979 Posts
I've had brakecleaner destroy plastic parts on my Harley. Used it to get gunk off of my braided lines and it ate the rubber underneath. It also made the clear plastic on my temperature gauge milky, after wiping it the lens shattered. I tested it on the inside of a East German AK forend and it has a reaction to the plastic. I haven't used it to clean guns since. If I were to use it I would make sure it was only going to touch steel.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've had one of my G19's since the 80's, and I do nothing but abuse it!! It's gone in the hot tub with me, in the dishwasher several times, and then I didn't even clean it for over 8 years. (just to name a very few abuses it has seen). And I still have NEVER had a single little problem with it!!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I've had one of my G19's since the 80's, and I do nothing but abuse it!! It's gone in the hot tub with me, in the dishwasher several times, and then I didn't even clean it for over 8 years. (just to name a very few abuses it has seen). And I still have NEVER had a single little problem with it!!
And this is why people swear by Glock!!:eek: Good enough for me!:D:D

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Read on here somewhere that someone actually swims with his... In a chlorinated pool...

I wouldn't recommend leaving your gun, or anything for that matter, in any solvent for any extended length of time. Always rinse afterwards as well....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Still waiting to hear why the dishwasher is so horrible?!?!
If you cannot take the time to clean your pistol I would hope you completely dissasemble it so you do not get too much moisture in your firing pin channel and trigger mechanism. The other thought is dishwasher detergents can leave a residue. Once again to each his own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So to say brake cleaner is harmful......I guess ALL the other dedicated aerosol gun cleaners are harmful also. :rolleyes:
If you choose to use a $6 automotive parts cleaner to care for your $500-$600 pistol feel free. I wouldn't recommend it and neither would the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Robxxxx said:
Just sent weapon shield an email, ill give it a shot. :)
I had heard they were doing the sample thing, but that it had been offered quite some time ago. So, I wasn't sure how my email request for a sample would be taken. It worked. I like the product and now I feel obliged to purchase from them when I run out. A win-win as I see it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Danzig said:
I've had brakecleaner destroy plastic parts on my Harley. Used it to get gunk off of my braided lines and it ate the rubber underneath. It also made the clear plastic on my temperature gauge milky, after wiping it the lens shattered. I tested it on the inside of a East German AK forend and it has a reaction to the plastic. I haven't used it to clean guns since. If I were to use it I would make sure it was only going to touch steel.
Let me know how it goes I would be interested to find out

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
If you choose to use a $6 automotive parts cleaner to care for your $500-$600 pistol feel free. I wouldn't recommend it and neither would the manufacturer.
So how is using a $6 can of gun cleaner on a $5-600 gun any different? So the $6-12 aerosol dedicated gun cleaners with similar chemicals/msds as Brakleen are ok? :confused: I don't get it.

I don't use it.........I'm just trying to understand the logic of saying it's not okay to use as a primary on the metal parts when some "gun cleaners" are basically the same stuff.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I noticed hickok45 doesn't run a bore brush through the bore. He just ran a patch. I use the plastic brush that came with the gun

·
Registered
184 Posts
I currently use clp and for the trigger connector i use a drop of rem oil. Though the needle applicator looks promising. How do you use it with the barrel, couple drops on a patch?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Robxxxx said:
I currently use clp and for the trigger connector i use a drop of rem oil. Though the needle applicator looks promising. How do you use it with the barrel, couple drops on a patch?
If you're referring to the WeaponShield, after cleaning the barrel I put just a *small* drop about half way up and then twist the barrel with my fingers, working it in toward the muzzle end. I don't overdo it here. A little goes a long way when lubing your Glock. A patch would work too. I am careful not to get any inside the barrel.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts