Leo

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by Glock897, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Glock897

Glock897 Member

I posted this on another thread, but feel it deserves to be posted again.

"Oh.. you're a Cop? That's cool. I wanted to do that. What do you make?"
    "WHAT DO I MAKE?? I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when someone just tried to hurt you. I make 3 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up. I make those annoying sirens seem like angels when you need them. I can make your children breath when they stop. I make myself get out of bed at 430am to risk my life to save people I've never met. I make it possible to keep back the chaos everyday. I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for. I make myself work holidays, nights, during storms and other disasters. Today, I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life. I make a difference, what do you make?"

2. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Retired USN, I make a difference. Even today.
    And thank you for what you do. Many civilians will never understand and I don't expect them too. We are the man behind the curtain taking care of business so others can live their lives as they choose. I signed on for the tour and did it with grace, grit and blood.

But I walk a different path now. I do my job and again, I don't expect others to understand it. Just let me do what I do best.

3. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

One of my favorite quotes from a Movie:
    Col Jessup: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I've always loved that monologue and it always gives me goosebumps when I watch that movie.