LEO K9s die in patrol vehicles...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GunnerGSP, Jul 26, 2012.

1. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I read this story and I am thinking to myself, how does this happen? Not one K9, but two!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nels/-/1719418/15726374/-/gujxoa/-/index.html

"...preliminary reports indicate the two K9s were 'inadvertently left inside the patrol vehicles kennel overnight and suffered from heat exposure'."

Havasu and/or glock26usmc (or any other K9 officers out there) any thoughts on this? I am certainly not asking either of you to pass judgement on this Deputy, but any idea on what series of events could lead to *two* K9s suffering this fate.

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Leaving them over night in a car where its hot, pretty much sums it up...

3. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Thanks iGlock. That was very insightful :rolleyes:.

But it doesn't sum it up for me (not that it matters).

I am just trying to imagine a scenario where one guy (who has been on the job for a long time) seems to be responsible for two K9s meeting the same fate. I don't see it being intentional, but come on!

Of course, I can only go by what was reported...and that is often not accurate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I couldn't imagine or even start to imagine how this happned.
    How can you "Basically" just forget about your Dogs that are your partner?
    Totally unacceptable to me.

5. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Hahaha, i keep it simple.

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. Some folks forget they are living creatures. I would replace that canine cop before he kills anything else accidentally!

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Or how about people who "forget" their kids are in the car, thats worse...

8. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Agreed. Every summer we hear of someone leaving someone or something else in a hot car, often with tragic consequences.

This is why I was wondering if havasu or glock26usmc (one former and one current K9 LEO) had any thoughts on how this could happen...other than pure negligence.

A friend of mine is a K9 LEO and I was able to ride with him on two separate occasions. I loved every minute of it and I will tell you, the bond between him and his pup left a lasting impression on me. I could not imagine him ever doing something like that to his partner.

Edit: havasu, I just saw your earlier post. thanks...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  9. gladesbassin

gladesbassin Happy Member :) Supporter

IMO he should get animal abuse Charges brought upon him at the least. Any normal person would be Charged for with something if they hit/injure or kill a cop k9

10. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Very true. I am not equating this event with someone that does that.

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I know i was just saying how do you forget a person or even 2 full grown dogs in the back of your car.... I wounder if he will be charged.

12. Tape

Tape New Member

I hope they BURN the stupid cops that caused this, I am burning just thinking about this crap

13. havasu

Most K-9 units have alarms installed that activate (similar to a pager) when the temperature rises in the unit. I'm wondering if this was installed? They only cost about ~ $250. Great insurance for when the dogs are secured inside the units.

14. Blaze

Blaze Active Member Supporter

He should loose his job and even spend jail time.. Them are not just dogs there officers.. If a civilian killed one they get charged as if the dog was a officer... I love my dogs of he done that to mine I would lock his ass in a car overnight with no water in the heat :((( I'm ticked

15. Tape

Tape New Member

for real, and the saving of the cost of training the K9, also the leo's lives these k9's have saved numerous of times.

16. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

@havasu, why would one guy be responsible for two dogs? A supervisor maybe?

And don't most handlers *live* with their K9?

I realize there may be exceptions to that, but I thought such a scenario was common.

17. havasu

Every department is different but I know of some, for liability reasons, house the dogs at the station. Many often use multiple handlers for one dog, but I've never seen such a tight bond as with one handler with one dog, at the handler's house.

18. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Exactly...my friend, a K9 handler, had quite a bond with his dog.

I rode with him twice and sometimes he would open the cage so his pup could stick his head through. Out came his massive Czech born German Shepherd head. He took one quick look at me to put me in my place and then would just rest his head on my friends shoulder. But when it was time to work, he went nuts. That dog loved his job.

I remember the first time I rode with him he told me that if the cage inside the cruiser were open, let him get in first. This, of course, was because his dog would not have taken too kindly to me getting in without his handler. I told him not to worry. I would let him get in first no matter what!

Unfortunately, his dog succumbed to illness a couple of years ago. But he has a new partner now and I trust he will not leave his dog in a car oven.