Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lenny Magill in this video endorses Condition 3 carry.

It seems like most people (including me) carry in Condition 0 with a good holster.

How are the currently active members carrying--loaded or empty chamber?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
There are points of contention on nomenclature and conditions but overlooking that you have to consider what types of situations you would find yourself in where you would need to pull your gun and what condition that gun needs to be in.
Glocks are the majority of pistols in use by American law enforcement. Every law enforcement officer including my time in, carries with a full mag, round in the chamber. When I carried a 1911 it was loaded with a round in the chamber and manual safety on.
There are plenty of scenarios where you won’t have the luxury of having your off hand to rack the slide.
I don’t consider a gun properly loaded for carry unless it’s got a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Another school of thought for our consideration. Well done! I am not gonna appendix carry jammed down near what jewels I have left with one in the pipe. Ain't gonna do it. And some of these holsters, esp. Kydex are just uncomfortable in that carry position. So I carry Mexican style? no holster. Also I sleep with a G48 in bed under the covers near the jewels as well. Same story. And truthfully at times there are other options near such as Chief Special Model 36 or Smith Model 15 snub as well quite nearby. I've also considered carrying a snap cap in the pipe for a trial period of month and check to see if any discharges would've happened. Maybe this will ease my mind a bit for condition 0. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I Israeli carry as well because I don't want an accidental discharge while grabbing my gun from the appendix position. Pretty much every day I spend time practicing drawing, racking and firing and have gotten pretty damn quick - a split second to rack as I'm drawing.
Couple of times I went ahead and racked it when things seemed a little weird, but other than that I'm not going to keep one chambered on a gun with no safety. Props to you pros who do though.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Who is this guy? People who give their carry a "condition" seem uninformed to me, but that is me.
Carrying a SA like a 1911 without the safety is a ND looking for a place to happen. No Einstien, it doesn't slow engagement, even a bit.
Empty chamber? Well if that is what you want, go ahead. Just be prepared to spend the rest of your life trying to get a round into battery if the time ever comes.
YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Who is this guy? People who give their carry a "condition" seem uninformed to me, but that is me.
Carrying a SA like a 1911 without the safety is a ND looking for a place to happen. No Einstien, it doesn't slow engagement, even a bit.
Empty chamber? Well if that is what you want, go ahead. Just be prepared to spend the rest of your life trying to get a round into battery if the time ever comes.
YMMV
Wonder how many people who carry accidentally discharge their weapon, or even hurt someone, as compared to get into an actual gunfight? Not all of us are Navy Seals or cops...

Don't get me wrong. I value everyone's opinions including yours.

Lenny Magill in the above video is the owner of GlockStore.com. Vast majority his videos are instructional modification videos pertaining to Glock or Sig.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I carry with a round in the chamber and wouldn’t consider any other condition. Admittedly, I do not appendix carry. I carry OWB at 3 o’clock, so it could be argued less critical areas are at risk. However, a round traveling through my leg could be life altering as well!

I think condition zero carry is important to defensive readiness and is important psychologically.

Defensively, I see far too many situations that may require the use of your off hand. For me my left hand could be defending blows, creating space, blocking a knife attack, deploying pepper spray, using a flashlight, etc.

Psychologically, in my mind a gun is always loaded and if I draw my gun I expect it to be loaded with a round in the chamber.

I believe carrying without a round in the chamber may lead to complacency. If you believe your gun does not have a round in the chamber you will come to expect that and eventually a negligent discharge may occur because a round was in the chamber when you didn’t expect it.

Of course, your situation and concerns will likely be somewhat different. Bottom line, train in the condition you choose to carry!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Israeli
Wonder how many people who carry accidentally discharge their weapon, or even hurt someone, as compared to get into an actual gunfight? Not all of us are Navy Seals or cops...

Don't get me wrong. I value everyone's opinions including yours.

Lenny Magill in the above video is the owner of GlockStore.com. Vast majority his videos are instructional modification videos pertaining to Glock or Sig.
Yea, Israeli carry is what it is because of a law of their land, not because it is safer, superior, or anything else. Most don't understand that.
Like I said, do as you wish. Well, other than the one thing noted. Just remember in the most inrtense microseconds of your life, you are trying to complete a mechanical function with several outlying factors that have to play in. Murphy is already playing a tune for you, so just some food for thought.
Unlike most "experts" that are usually experts at convincing you they are an expert, I won't tell anyone how they should, just how I would.
YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe if I had a legit holster as opposed to the belly band I'm wearing I'd be more inclined to get with the chambered round program?

As it is right now, half the time I just quickly drop the 43X loosely in front my pocket if I'm just running to the store and back. If I'm going to be out for a while, I keep it in the belly band which has no real trigger guard. Sleep with a G45 next to my pillow. Sometimes do weird things in my sleep, so one in the chamber not a good idea there. Every so often I sleepwalk, for example. Can picture myself in a sleep state accidentally pulling a trigger much more than racking a gun with two hands. If someone was breaking in I have more than enough time to rack a gun unless the intruder was a stealthy glass cutting silent ninja.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe if I had a legit holster as opposed to the belly band I'm wearing I'd be more inclined to get with the chambered round program?

As it is right now, half the time I just quickly drop the 43X loosely in front my pocket if I'm just running to the store and back. If I'm going to be out for a while, I keep it in the belly band which has no real trigger guard. Sleep with a G45 next to my pillow. Sometimes do weird things in my sleep, so one in the chamber not a good idea there. Every so often I sleepwalk, for example. Can picture myself in a sleep state accidentally pulling a trigger much more than racking a gun with two hands. If someone was breaking in I have more than enough time to rack a gun unless the intruder was a stealthy glass cutting silent ninja.
Good point. To carry with one in the chamber I require a Kydex holster with a full trigger guard cover. If I were to pocket carry I would probably pocket carry with a minimalist trigger guard cover tethered to my belt or pant loop.

There are many, but this gives you an idea of what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good point. To carry with one in the chamber I require a Kydex holster with a full trigger guard cover. If I were to pocket carry I would probably pocket carry with a minimalist trigger guard cover tethered to my belt or pant loop.

There are many, but this gives you an idea of what I’m talking about.

Interesting! Didn't even know those trigger guards existed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lenny Magill in this video endorses Condition 3 carry.

It seems like most people (including me) carry in Condition 0 with a good holster.

How are the currently active members carrying--loaded or empty chamber?
I rewatched the video and there are some good thoughts in there, but at about 19 minutes I think there is some bad advice!

He mentions if you’re driving into a bad area and you have to get out, maybe you should switch to condition zero, or have the gun in your hand or arm pit carry !!

Going back-and-forth between conditions is a bad idea. Choose a condition that will allow you to carry the gun every day and train in that condition.

The gun in hand and arm pit carry is just goofy. There may be scenarios where it makes sense to prepare your firearm by drawing it from a holster, but that scenario certainly is not simply driving into a bad area and getting out of your car. Regarding the armpit carry that he demonstrates, I can’t ever imagine a scenario where that would be wise.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
There’s a constant flow of new members here along with novice gun owners/carriers.
Carry conditions has been a hotly contested subject on this forum, since it’s inception.
Ultimately you want to learn and gain knowledge from people here and other sources to make an informed decision.

This is the title of a past thread that has a bunch of input.
Carrying with one in the chamber - Why it's ok NOT to!
Feeling uncomfortable carrying a gun is normal, same with carrying with one in the chamber.
Time, comfort and familiarity could help with that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The OP of the previous thread referenced by Danzig makes a good point about how the condition in which one carries should be influenced by one's training and experience.

Just because one is comfortable with a certain condition of carry does not mean one should push that condition of carry on other people.

In posting the video with which I began this thread I was NOT trying to create controversy. I was just sharing a video that I found interesting and surprising.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts